• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Ebbsfleet (Play Offs)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
How many did we take last year ?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it was about 13,000 in the end. I expected it would be fewer this time round. Not as much of a novelty now.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
With BW's normal gates well below 1,000 and our likely following not much more than 10,000, it begs the question why the NL playoff final needs to be at Wembley. You could fit everyone comfortably into Prenton Park. ;) Not that I'm suggesting this, but it would make for a better atmosphere to hold it at a smaller ground and maybe in the north occasionally. Ticket pricing could have been more flexible too. Wembley looked pretty empty last year. Just imagine if BW had been playing another of the smaller clubs.

drwhoman

I agree BBTC. I think I am correct in saying that in the past FA Cup semi-finals were played on a neutral ground. For example, Villa Park, it is was a north v south game. It might be argued that Wembley does not give the SWA a chance to make as much of an impact as they might at a smaller ground. Still, at the end of the day, it is up to the players. How much they want it. I have just seen the last 30 mins of the Chelsea v Huddersfield game. My word, those Terriers wanted it! They got a bit of luck but they really put their bodies on the line. Hopefully, we will not be doing a lot of last ditch defending, as they were, but you know what I mean. Grab the game by the scruff of the neck from the start and keep BW under the cosh. At this stage it is as much about mental attitude as anything else. I believe we will have learnt from last year and will win!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The prices are too steep for what it is and the NL must take responsibility for that. If the Fulham owner or someone else does buy Wembley, maybe they’ll have to stage games elsewhere. As someone who has never seen Rovers win at Wembley, maybe not a bad thing.

Player
Manager
John King
I love going to Wembley and think the final should be played there. What other chance do most supporters at this level get to go there ? The prices are high but they would be at a lot of other venues.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It makes it more of an occasion going to Wembley. The only downer is all the empty seats. Just doesn't feel quite right.

joe

I agree that the final should be played in the middle of the country, where possible. We are just paying off Wembley's debt and having to endure ridiculous prices. We have abundant grounds in the north if two northern clubs were playing, ditto the south. Greedy FA I say.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The new Wembley is for me a fairly
soulless venue, preferred the older version with the twin towers or the Millenium stadium in Cardiff where I saw the Barnsley v Swansea play-off final. Arguably a national stadium should be in a more central location than London, given historically football was skewed towards the north. The prices seem steep compared to other events at Wembley, the Checkatrade for example and recall reading something about FL play-off prices comparing favourably with the NL play-offs.

Of course, I may have a slightly less jaundiced view of Wembley if Rovers manage to win there again...

Player
Manager
John King
Wembley is the national stadium and has been for a century. I think tradition and history matters. I can't imagine many supporters singing 'que se ra, we are going to Stoke'. I don't find the new stadium soulless either, certainly not compared to most of the potential alternative venues.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Even Old Trafford, Anfield and the Nou Camp must be soulless when less than a quarter full. If lower league games are held at Wembley the FA should try harder to boost attendance. For example, why no family tickets? Recognising no two NL sides would ever fill the ground, why aren't they offering cheap neutral seats to local schools etc. so they can experience a match at the national stadium? Marketing generally is appalling.

Reactions: joe

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I wouldn't want to deprive any young Rovers fan of their chance to visit Wembley, but it is a barmy venue for the NL Play Off Final. There are no 2 teams in our league who have attendances that jusify it -not even ourselves. It is also expensive and very short notice to plan due to the nature of the play-off system
That said, I absolutely won't give a hoot providing we get the right result!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Even Old Trafford, Anfield and the Nou Camp must be soulless when less than a quarter full. If lower league games are held at Wembley the FA should try harder to boost attendance. For example, why no family tickets? Recognising no two NL sides would ever fill the ground, why aren't they offering cheap neutral seats to local schools etc. so they can experience a match at the national stadium? Marketing generally is appalling.
Agree with that. It’s a like it or lump it approach. You couldn’t even get consessions in category 1. Ideally I wanted to sit at the side, not behind the goal but I’m not paying £41 for a 7-year old !