• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Ebbsfleet (Play Offs)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Shattered after that and as others have remarked, we don't make it easy for ourselves. Good cross into the box for their opener, decent header, unchallenged to put Fleet ahead. It fired the visitors up, but Rovers gradually got back into the game, thwarted by a combination of last ditch defending and some fine saves from their irritating keeper,before a cool leveller from Norwood. When a mix-up between Sutton and Davies saw the visitor's regain the lead, started to think it might be one of those days. A quality leveller from Ginnelly came relatively quickly and was the game turner, if Ebbsfleet had been able to protect that lead for longer, things might have turned out very different. As it was, two excellent finishes from Norwood and Cole saw us over the line. An unseemly scuffle saw a red card for Ebbsfleet's Winfield and Eric Nixon banished to the stands from Rovers' bench unsure quite what he'd done.

I'd agree with Ginnelly as MoM, great goal at crucial time, worked hard, brought another fine save from Ashmore with a low effort, which the keeper saw late. Norwood battled really hard and got 2 goals, while Cole was quiet in normal time, won the free-kick that Norwood converted before an excellent nerve-calming fourth. I thought Norburn had a reasonable game, some great creative play and made himself available for the return ball, but the midfield as a whole didn't keep things tight enough. Buxton didn't look match-fit and rarely ventured forward by his normal standard. I was surprised to see Monthe replacing him at right-back, if this was in MMs thoughts, why didn't he get a try out in that position v Solihull or Pools? Did ok, more adventurous than Adam today, but I can see what RLC means about having a mistake in him every game. I haven't heard MMs post-match comments, but would like to know the thinking behind having Dunn on the bench ahead of others, on the face of it more deserving.

Decent atmosphere today, though the final sub 9k attendance a little disappointing.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Phew! We do make it difficult for ourselves, don't we? I was surprised and worried to see such a lightweight midfield and expected Harris to start. However, it signalled our attacking intentions and of course midfield provided two of the goals and some glorious passing by Hughes. Norburn had his moments but disappointed. While we let in two poor goals and had the crowd and TV viewers like me worried, what impressed me was that the team did not look fazed. They just kept going. Continual pressure, some great moves, individual skill and lots of energy got the team its reward in the end. Ebbsfleet contributed, but Wednesday's exertions took their toll. Micky did his homework and chose a side to keep them busy. Momentum is restored and I am looking forward to the final with a lot more hope than last year, irrespective of our eventual opponents.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
MM got the team selection spot on today and it was a well balanced bench, so to quibble about it is harsh in my opinion. We played with two out and out wide men, which I would guess is why Dunn was on the bench, giving us the option of keeping that width in the event of a change.

I think the key today was that both Cole and Ginnelly performed, particularly the latter. Ebbsfleet outnumbered us 3 to 2 in central midfield and had quite a bit of control in there, so it was vital we used the width of the pitch, which we did.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I didn't quibble, RLC. I just said I didn't think at the start that we had enough strength in midfield, but I am delighted to be proved wrong and gave Micky credit in my post.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
MM got the team selection spot on today and it was a well balanced bench, so to quibble about it is harsh in my opinion. We played with two out and out wide men, which I would guess is why Dunn was on the bench, giving us the option of keeping that width in the event of a change.

I think the key today was that both Cole and Ginnelly performed, particularly the latter. Ebbsfleet outnumbered us 3 to 2 in central midfield and had quite a bit of control in there, so it was vital we used the width of the pitch, which we did.
Yes, I agree about our wingers. At last we saw them playing with confidence and showing what they could do. Micky has been trying since early season to get two decent wide players and fortunately they have arrived just in time for the play-off final.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
RLC, you were critical of Dunn’s performance in the Solihull game. Green also plays wide and played better in that game, while Clarke also offers the width and pace option. Unless his ability at penalties was a factor, it seemed an odd selection to make.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Dunn and Green are much of a muchness and Clarke is not a winger, so I was not that surprised at the selection.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Dunn isn’t a winger either, though like Norwood can play wide. Green was bought as a winger, have not seen enough of him to know if that’s his best position. Felt it would have been better to have some pace on the bench today, something Dunn lacks.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Whilst yesterday may ultimately be in vain, you take your pleasures when you can and so far as classic Prenton Park days go, that ranked amongst them.
Ebbs certainly put the effort in (there was some great defending, lunges, blocks etc) but fatigue clearly showed.
But if they had finished with more points than us then they could have had the luxury of a rest!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, CK. At last finishing higher give you some benefit in the playoffs. Ebbsfleet can't complain. Under the old system, finishing sixth they wouldn't have even been in the playoffs.

Player
Manager
John King
Dunn isn’t a winger either, though like Norwood can play wide. Green was bought as a winger, have not seen enough of him to know if that’s his best position. Felt it would have been better to have some pace on the bench today, something Dunn lacks.
Dunn is more of a winger than Norwood, who is an out and out centre forward who Brabin sometimes played out of position.

I have seen all of Green's reserve appearances and he has been crap. Dunn has generally been poor, but has shown glimpses of what he is capable of, notably at Maidstone this season where he set up the winner. Mellon saw the players in training all week and I trust his judgement.

In any case, we are talking about the fifth. unused substitute here, on a day when we reached Wembley in one of the biggest matches in our history. Talk about petty.

M

Mal

had to watch the game in an almost deserted pub with no sound and no subtitles but it was as nerve-wracking as the Bolton play-off final. as i said, nothing surprises me after 50 years or so of watching Tranmere. having seen both Borehamwood and Sutton, my preference would be towards Sutton in the final.

and the Ebbsfleet goalkeeper was entertaining as far as i am concerned and he helped Ginelly when he went down with cramp.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Dunn is more of a winger than Norwood, who is an out and out centre forward who Brabin sometimes played out of position.

I have seen all of Green's reserve appearances and he has been crap. Dunn has generally been poor, but has shown glimpses of what he is capable of, notably at Maidstone this season where he set up the winner. Mellon saw the players in training all week and I trust his judgement.

In any case, we are talking about the fifth. unused substitute here, on a day when we reached Wembley in one of the biggest matches in our history. Talk about petty.
I thought that the selection of Dunn as a sub was surprising for the reasons already given and am sorry if querying it offends you.

Wasn’t aware that you went to all the reserve games. Who are the best prospects and likely to get offered pro deals? I hadn’t even heard of Walker-Rice who came on during the Solihull game, as very out of the loop on reserve matters.

M

Mal

Had to lower quality to fit but four pics from last year

Attachments

• IMG_0052a.jpg
    928.2 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0049a.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0051a.jpg
    957.8 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0010a.jpg
    763.9 KB · Views: 274
Last edited by a moderator:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
In the end sub choices didn’t matter but I was a tad surprised that Monthe came on at right back ahead of Harris who has played there before and always done ok.

I was worried about big Monthe being left footed up against the paces Myles Weston but he did ok in the end. Micky May have been saving Harris to shore up the midfield if needed as he did when came on towards the end.

it’s hard to remember Dunn started at Wembley last year along with mangan. Neither of them are proper wingers but we had injuries. Dunn will I am sure be released but he would have played if needed. I’d prefer Clarke out there personally but trust in Mickey.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The Ebbsfleet manager has been very complementary post match but says Harris bit their centre half who had bite marks to show it....

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Borehamwood who I always feared the most 1-0 up v sutton

Player
aldo
well i missed yesterday was quite calm at home as i still cant jump around . i wont be at wembley . for the same reason realy gutted and would love to be there . fair play to the team i sounded like macc all over again when the key stone cop goalie and defender did there stuff . had no nails or nerves left and had a few drinks to calm down a little disappointed with the crowd .should have been more . and the nobs who threw stuff on the pitch they should not be aloud back in again . oh its abt time the wingers scored some goals .