• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Ebbsfleet (Play Offs)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
One of the articles starkly highlights Rovers’ poor history in games with big crowds. Let’s hope we can start to put that one to bed today. Getting very nervous as 12.15 approaches.

Player
aldo
see the tent can cater for only 400 . meybe there might be a time to extend it to the main car park . as we never use the whole thing . if 400 people spent £10 each thats £4000 a game over the 23 games thats £92.000 . its a good earner . and helps the club big time . but if they made it bigger so it can cater for say 800 then your talking around £200.000 . when you think today theres gonna be abt 9-10k there 400 is a small number to deal with .

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Buxton returns, Harris drops to the bench, otherwise unchanged starting xi. While the bench is fairly balanced, puzzles that Dunn gets the nod ahead of Clarke or Green on performances this season.

Player
aldo
not been great realy need to up the pace and realy have a go . the time wasting is shocking and refs are week its a joke

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bit cagey first half, need to get the ball down and play football.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Game is hard to call, Rovers surrendering midfield too easily, Buxton doesn’t look 100%, referee has let a lot go then threatens to abandon the game due to things being thrown onto the pitch. Mostly looked like paper at their time-wasting keeper. Ginnelly doing quite well.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They’ve pretty much had it now so its up to us to attack in extra time. How badly do they want it? However it will be tough with a 10-man defence!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Extra time. We’ve had the better chances but the feel isn’t quite right. Monthe on for the injured Buxton.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Come on Rovers !!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Exhausting to watch, but there is no doubt we deserved the victory. We had the better chances and Ashmore kept them in it with a string of saves.

Despite all the time-wasting, I thought they were a decent side, dogged defensively and Whiteley and Weston were always a threat. However, they were effectively a spent force after half time and it was a case of whether we could break them down. We showed great character, behind twice, the second time to a comedy goal in a half where Davies did not have a save to make. Scott and Ritchie owe Ginnelly a drink tonight for digging them out of that hole.

There was a massive release of tension at the end, and I don't think I have ever celebrated a Tranmere goal like I did our third today. The noise in the closing stages was the best I have heard in Prenton Park for a long time.

Individually, I thought Hughes and Ridhelagh had excellent games. However, midfield was a problem as Norburn largely went missing and we did not get tight enough to them without the ball. Cole started well but faded, but produced a great strike for the fourth goal. However, man of the match was Josh Ginnelly who chose a fitting occasion to produce his best performance for us. The cynic in me would ask why we have not seen that from him more often. Great credit to Norwood as well. All the talk has been about Cookie in recent weeks, but Andy had a quiet game, well marshalled by their centre halves, and it needed two moments of magic from James to win us the game.

On to Wembley......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Got there in the end, but I had real doubts we were going to win. Given their hectic schedule thought Ebbsfleet gave us a real battle. Will write more when I get home.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree with all RLC comments above. I thought Ebsfleet stuck to their plan well. They created a nigggly, nervy game in the 90 minutes and credit to them for that but extra time finished them off and we scored two crackers to finish the game off.

Exhausted after that and spend most of the 1st half shouting at Ashmore for the ridiculous time wasting after 10 minutes.

Recoup and onto Wembley!!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
At 2-1 down I thought we were out of it, given the manner of the goal we conceded. Both sets of players gave everything, and I have said all along that Fleet are a decent side.

It would have been even harder had they not played 120 minutes on Wednesday, but then again we did gift them a goal.......

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
At 2-1 down I thought we were out of it, given the manner of the goal we conceded.
Yeah. I thought it was going to be another one of those days. Ridiculous goal to concede. Players a bit nervy still. Need to try and shake that off for next week.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
OMG, there's nothing like making life difficult for yourself is there? In the end their dubious tactics, thankfully, failed to pay off. Although not unexpected, it was a shame because Ebbsfleet are a decent side with fine centre backs and good strikers. I don't think that Cook and McNulty will have had many more difficult games this season. I thought Ginnelly was outstanding this afternoon and it was definitely his best performance for us. Norwood was great with 2 fine goals and Cook never stopped working, Hughes controlled midfield for most of the game and really gave Ginnelly the chance to shine, while I thought Cole had a good game. True, there were a couple of less than convincing performances but, for me, the most important thing was that the hangover of the last 2 matches was well and truly banished with a strong and determined showing. I'm not sure who I'd prefer in the final but, based on today, we look well set to put right the disappointment of last season. Time for a couple of beverages methinks ....

drwhoman

Now that we have won we can only praise Ebbsfleet for their effort. Two 120min games in around 65 hours plus a lot of traveling particularly for a part time side is quite impressive. However, glad the boys got over the line. From MM's post match comments it may be that Jennings will be available next week. Good that MM has some selection options. Maybe Sutton will be our preferred opponent?