• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Dover

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The visitors have been difficult opponents on the previous two visits to Birkenhead, with a niggly approach to games, breaking up play. Despite losing a number of decent players, most noteably Magri and Ricky Miller, they have started reasonably, contrary to my expectations, with new striker Ryan Bird having got on the score-sheet 3 times.

Not aware of any new fitness issues with Rovers, unless there is a problem with Norburn so Micky should have similar options to the weekend games. Up front, my preference would be a Cook-Norwood partnership, while regardless of the formation at the back, expect a return for Buxton.

Prediction: the late ko will reduce the number of visiting fans, who normally bring a fair number for the NL. It will also reduce the number of occasional visitors, with the international break. It wouldn't surprise me if the crowd was less than the Boreham Wood game. Asfor the result, I'm opting for a score draw.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
MM confirmed pre match no injuries except the long term ones. Like Boz, I'll be surprised if Buxton doesn't return to the starting 11 as he offers much more going forward than young Mitch.

Altho mangan didn't score at Solihull, given he's a mate of MIckys I expect him to keep his place but he must know that Nors will be knocking on the door if Andy doesn't score or contribute, along with Connor J. As well as the players Boz mentions, dover also lost Lafayette, Emmanuel and Aswad Thomas to league leaders Sutton, so despite their decent start I'm hoping it'll be easier than previous seasons.

Prediction: really need a win to keep the momentum going and try and build up our home form. Rovers to sneak a 1-0 win.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
This will be a lot tougher than our last game so we really need to be on form if we are to keep the momentum going.

I agree with Sparky regarding Buxton and I'd keep Mangan up front with Cook for a bit of competition up there.

I'm expecting a tight game but think we'll come out on top. Just..

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am unsure whether we should go with Mangan or Norwood up front: the former looks more likely to score at the moment, but it was noticeable at Solihull how much we miss Norwood's movement when he does not start, and Dover will sit deep and try and frustrate. I too would start with Buxton, but I am not totally convinced that Mellon will make changes at the back. In midfield, Jennings should play, but again I am not certain the manager will agree with me.

I agree with the assessment of Dover above. There is no doubt they have less quality than in the last two seasons. I had forgotten about Ryan Bird, who is a decent player at this level, but Chester and Southport cast-offs like Kane Richards and Jamie Allen hardly have me quaking in my boots. That said, Kinnear's teams are always going to be organised and competitive and we can expect the usual man-to-man marking, time-wasting and gamesmanship on Saturday. Scoring the first goal will be vital again I think.

Nothing other than a victory will do, particularly as some of the bigger clubs like Orient and Wrexham are starting to get some momentum. There will be a bit of added pressure on the players too, as the gap to the leading group could be seven to nine points by the time we kick off.

Despite the TV coverage, I think the attendance will break the 4,000 mark following a couple of improved results.

Last edited:

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Obviously Cook has to start and I am not sure it should be an obvious choice between Norwood or Mangan to partner him. Neither are prolific and although I agree with earlier posts that Norwood offers more in terms of movement, I wonder whether playing Connor Jennings up there in a free role may offer more guile in terms of breaking down less skilled, but well drilled defences. The current central midfield three with Buxton and Rides out wide seems to be a good set up with hopefully more chances coming from out wide....on top of anything Jennings or the midfield three can create.

Player
aldo
Would think it will prob be same team . Do think we need to play jennings just behind the front two. As that's where he played best last season. An scored most of his goals from. Hoping for a calmer game tonight . But we all know that wont happen . Tranmere do things the hard way

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was going to predict a 3-1 win but we never seem to perform in front of the cameras, so I'm thinking 1-1 is more likely. But seriously, this is the sort of mat ch we need to be able to win if we have hopes of automatic promotion.

Player
Manager
John King
Unchanged team, norwood, Jennings, Buxton and dunn on the bench.

Player
Manager
John King
Bad set of scores today, wrexham, Aldershot, daggers, orient all winning. We have to pick up three points.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think the only one of that four who had a difficult game in theory was Wrexham.

Bit surprised given Dover's style of play that Buxton wasn't recalled. Squad rotation and resting players not universally applied by Micky it seems. There are enough options on the bench to change things if needed.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Performance OK but final balls poor. Need to test the keeper more second half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Dover have fluffed two good chances. Jeff Hughes brought a decent save out of their keeper maybe should have done better.

Forwards not doing much, though starved of balls into the box. Can't comment on the right so much, but Ridehalgh is up against their pacey no 2 and has his work cut out.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Oh dear. Just like last season, we don't seem to be able to beat the better teams. If we can't put the ball in the net, we are going nowhere. Sadly, Micky is now under real pressure.

Player
Manager
John King
Dover are not one of the better teams, they are bang average. A terrible result and I think we are going nowhere this season

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Still away so have watched on BT.
Poor.
Their keeper has had a blinder but still no excuse.
Ronnie M was commenting at half time that there was no width, all channelled down the middle.
Sadly, when we got the ball out wide the distribution was dire.
Difficult days.

Dave dutton

Player
Connor jennings
Not sure what we do on training ground quality into the box was awful.
How many corners went straight into goalkeepers hands can we not vary our corners?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Disappointing. Thought we did enough to get something out of the game, but unsure where we go from here.Will post more on getting home.

Player
Manager
John King
A very poor result and a depressing performance. Sadly, I think the manager has to take much of the responsibility for the defeat as his team selection was wrong. We had played our best football at Solihull with Norwood, Jennings and Buxton on the pitch, none of whom started. As a result, we had no pace or movement up front to stretch their three gigantic centre halves and Cook got little change out of the big black lad in the middle. Equally, there was a lack of creativity in midfield without Jennings and we missed his ability to pick the ball up in pockets of space. By the time they were introduced it was too late and they made little impact.

Our problems are not just tactical, however. There is a real lack of confidence in the final third and our final ball and finish is lacking much of the time. In the first half we dominated possession and got into decent areas, but their keeper hardly had to make a difficult save. From the body language of some of the players, the run of defeats has clearly caught up with them and you have to wonder whether they are actually listening to Mellon at the moment. We did not deserve to lose the game on the balance of play, but if you huff and puff for eighty minutes like we did today, you always risk being hit by a sucker punch. The big number nine that came on for Dover in the second half caused us problems and their goal was not a real surprise. My first thoughts were that it was a definite penalty: it was idiotic of Sutton not to clear the ball in his own eighteen yard box, and after losing the ball he lunged at their player.

Individually, there were a few positives. Hughes had his best game for a while and McEveley had his best game for us, both defensively and carrying the ball out from the back, which he did effectively at times. Duggan did well defensively against their pacy wing back, but needs to work on his crossing.

In addition to a poor result, it was another poor attendance, barely scraping 4,000. It is fair to say this season is not going as Palios would have planned it.

I honestly can't see us making the play offs this season. There are too many fundamental problems, with the lack of a clear pattern of play, and an absence of width, pace and balance in the side. Worrying times.

Player
aldo
Oh well wat a f#$%kin suprise . We where crap in the middle of the park again . If we lose harris we realy will be in the crap. Im sorry to say it but mellon has got to go . Not good enough the recruitment in the summer was crap . An its not entertainment its boring. And with the crowds dropping to . We could do a york . I love my tranmere an my football . I just want to go home after a game with a smile on my face . Not bloody glum an pissed off