• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Dover Athletic

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
These are the battles we have to win now. It certainly makes the top of the table a tad more interesting. Let's hope Lincoln keep dropping points.

Saw the penalty, another poor one. Great effort from the lads and I hope they keep battling to the end.

What a huge game against Wrexham.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Saw the penalty, another poor one. Great effort from the lads and I hope they keep battling to the end.
I have no idea why Norwood took it given his form in front of goal at the moment. Cook is the obvious choice, but he just must not enjoy taking penalties.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
On our way,
We're on our way....

Will ditto RLC post.
Atmosphere on Kop in last 10 mins driving the team on was terrific, aided in no short measure by the three drummers a couple of rows in front of us!!
Unlike last season, this is a team that isn't easily intimidated and that mentality was needed tonight.
Didn't expect it to be pretty again but for a team looking for a playoff place Dover we're disappointingly negative.
The forever aghast and whining Miller had a great effort tipped onto the bar by Scottie and had a lallana moment a little later virtually on the goal line. Other than that he was in Macca's pocket. As RLC says, we were rock solid defensively and Harris and Jennings ran themselves into the ground.
Cook was fortunate to be substituted rather than sent off, the only decision (except for the penno which doesn't count cos we don't score them) the ref gave us. I was wrong on Saturday...The refs CAN still get worse.
Great finish by Cole and he did well generally when he came on. His hold up play has improved considerably and he won a few free kicks to buy us some time. He has a more physical side to him now that was missing last season.
Again, unbelievably, a 6-2 score in our favour for bookings. Half were for alleged time wasting.

Player
Manager
John King
Great finish by Cole and he did well generally when he came on. His hold up play has improved considerably and he won a few free kicks to buy us some time. He has a more physical side to him now that was missing last season.

I agree. He has definitely matured.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report RLC. I was listening to the Wirral Radio commentary with Dave Higgins as co-commentator who sounds like he kicks every ball. Their impression was that we hadn't done enough first half but things improved after the break and once we finally broke the deadlock, apart from a hairy added 6 minutes at the end, which seemed to have come from nowhere, it sounded fairly comfortable.

What had happened to get Cook so wound up, he's normally fairly laid back. Right decision from MM to sub him, wouldn't want him to miss any games, when the other strikers, excepting Cole Stockton are currently off their game. It didn't sound like Mangan made much impact. I suppose the nature of the game was why Collins wasn't used.

Player
Manager
John King
What had happened to get Cook so wound up, he's normally fairly laid back.

Nothing, he just made a couple of daft challenges, the first to try and retrieve the ball in the opposition half. Having been booked (somewhat harshly) he was lucky to stay on the pitch for the second challenge, and it was clear Dover players were looking to win fouls against him and get him red-carded.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
To be fair, I was pretty much right in front of the second challenge on the JK Stand and there was no contact on the player. He made a meal of it and it looked a lot worse than it was. Probably the right decision to bring Cookie off though rather than run the risk of losing him for a few games.

Thought Cole did really well when he came on, he held the ball up well and bought us some well needed time through fouls made against him. McNulty was excellent and did a great job on Miller who moaned and gesticulated his way through the whole game. A good player though and you can see why he has scored so many this season.

I thought Buxton played really well tonight as did Connor Jennings. Norwood was out of sorts and looks really low on confidence and I was surprised when he took the pen - I would like to see Cookie or Connor Jennings take the next one.

Great support tonight and over the 96 mins, a well deserved win. Love seeing Mickey Mellon salute the crowds (he was geeing them up mid game).....at least he appreciates our support and knows what the club means to us. Onto Saturday and a tricky away game at Wrexham #SWA

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This could turn out to be a pivotal night in our season. When you miss a penalty but then score and hold out against a cynical side, you must gain in strength psychologically. Cook may have been fortunate to stay on the pitch, but when you play like that, you deserve all the luck you get. Sutton's stoppage time equaliser was the icing on the cake. Lincoln will be the side under pressure now and it will be interesting to see how they react. Personally, I think they have now lost their aura and will continue to drop points here and there. However, we must continue to get results.

We are lucky that the rearranged fixture list gives us seven out of the last ten games at home. If tonight is anything to go by, the home crowd will be the proverbial twelfth man. There should be a strong SWA presence at the three away games - at Wrexham, at Guiseley (on Easter Monday) and the final game of the season at Maidstone.

Right now, this is a great time to be a Rovers fan.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Still can't get that drum beat out of my head this morning! A great atmosphere in the Kop last night and a real feeling this could be our year. Will try not to repeat the above.

First half was a cagey affair with defences on top. Dovers only real chance saw Miller hit the bar and then miss a cut back. Rovers got into several good positions but lacked a killer instinct. A bit too much pretty football when options to test the keeper from the edge of the box weren't taken. 2nd half right from the whistle we were the more attacking side and the penalty was no surprise when it came. Have to assume after Saturday they had agreed Nors would have another go but 1) he has missed at least 2 already this season and 2) his confidence can't be great as he only has 1 goal in his last 10-15 appearances or something. Given Nors, Cook & Hughes have all missed them, like White Squaddie I'd go with Connor J who is a cool customer and was Wrexhams taker last season.

Credit to the lads for keeping going as I thought we might lose it after that. Ref said to Cookie one more foul and your off and with all the Dover players surrounding him, it made sense to take him off. As has been said Cole did well, worked hard, won free kicks, and nodded in the winner. Special mention for Ridehalgh who put in a great ball for the goal and must have probably more assists that anyone this season. Why he doesn't take more free kicks instead of Hughes is beyond me. Hughes' recent delivery has been disappointing.

Individually I thought Big Mac was back to his impervious self. He ran it close giving Miller a few shoves but the 3 at the back in particular were excellent. Buxton looked like he'd put on a few pounds but was excellent in that position on the right side of the 3 centre halves. A position that could be made for him. Felt Hughes was better than Saturday but still looked a bit jaded. A good thing then that my m.o.m Jay Harris was full of energy winning tackles and was all over the pitch. He was immense second half. A note on Miller - clearly a talented player but his attitude throwing his arms up every time he lost a tackle was terrible. A few of their players were the same as was the manager.

Result is all that mattered and we're keeping the pressure on the imps who apparently looked dead on their feet at Sutton. A long season catching up with them perhaps. They have 2 games in 48 hours this weekend as playing Saturday and Monday I think.

Maybe we are on our way....

drwhoman

Pleased with the Win. Good header from Stockton. Could not understand why he was unmarked although I think his marker slipped over and hence he was free.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think there will still be a few twists and turns before the seasons out but I don't think we can ask anymore of the team. They seem to have found form just at the right time and I think the club should be doing everything it can to get supporters through the turnstiles for the final push.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the club should be doing everything it can to get supporters through the turnstiles for the final push.

Recent attendances have been really disappointing. In the position we are in, we should really be getting 5,000 plus for every game now, including Tuesday night matches. Last night's crowd was actually slightly better than I expected, but to only have 4,500 in the ground on Saturday in glorious weather was poor.

With the rearrangements, the sheer volume of games is probably pricing a lot of people out, and I like the suggestion that the club should offer a discount to buy several tickets for most, or all, of the remaining games. However, I still think the matchday price-hike is a major factor in putting people off, particularly in the situation we find ourselves now, where uncommitted supporters would be tempted to turn up on the day if it was not for the £2 surcharge.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The semi-final defeat probably put some people off, but I agree that the run of home games is too much for a lot of fans. Should Rovers get close to clinching the championship, I would expect interest to rise. As I said earlier, it's great for the team if not the fans to have all these games at PP and nearby. The really good thing is the vocal nature of the core of support. The team will be guaranteed this in every game from now on, hopefully culminating in a great celebratory day out in Kent on the final day of the regular season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Recent attendances have been really disappointing. In the position we are in, we should really be getting 5,000 plus for every game now, including Tuesday night matches. Last night's crowd was actually slightly better than I expected, but to only have 4,500 in the ground on Saturday in glorious weather was poor.

With the rearrangements, the sheer volume of games is probably pricing a lot of people out, and I like the suggestion that the club should offer a discount to buy several tickets for most, or all, of the remaining games. However, I still think the matchday price-hike is a major factor in putting people off, particularly in the situation we find ourselves now, where uncommitted supporters would be tempted to turn up on the day if it was not for the £2 surcharge.
The club is now offering a reduced price package for the final five home games. Someone in the commercial department obviously must be following White Review threads!
http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/new...-offer-for-final-five-home-games-3649689.aspx

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It makes a lot of sense. Hope they get the support.

Player
Manager
John King

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
We sit right behind left goalpost on Lower Kop.
Terrific bit of play by the pric* Miller to sell two of our lads and an equally impressive save.
You could hear the nick off Scottie's gloves and for the split second you wonder if it's enough.
Had that been Premier League and on MOTD there would have been replay after replay.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's great that the club have taken up the package deal for the last 5 homes, along the lines that RLC suggested. Hopefully there will be a decent uptake to cheer us up the league!