• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Crewe

Rovers v Crewe
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, September 4, 2018 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

frenchrover

Player
aldo
What on earth are we doing as a club letting Pilling go out on loan whilst keeping that "flapper" George between the sticks...absolute rubbish both him and the decision.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The scoreline is an absolute nonsense really, as Crewe deserved nothing from that game and we played very well. However, a couple of absolute howlers from George, who was woeful, have cost us the match.

A lot of the performances from the squad players were really positive and it is a pity the game ended on such a sour note. Gilmour and Cole both impressed in midfield with some lovely touches and imaginative passes and both strikers did well, particularly Mullin. He is a real enigma, missing two easy chances in the first half after great balls from Buxton and Zoum but then scoring a goal out of absolutely nothing through sheer persistence. I thought Tollitt also looked really sharp when he came on.

We dominated up until we scored the third goal, but Crewe's substitutes made a difference, particularly Kirk. Despite that, I thought we would still hold out for the victory quite comfortably, but at 3-2 George came for a routine cross and missed it and Crewe levelled. Our heads went for five minutes and the inevitable fourth goal followed. Our defending was not great in the second half (which shows how much Macca contributes) and we looked much more vulnerable when Caprice replaced Buxton, but Luke gifted the opposition two of their goals.

An evening with plenty of positives. Just a pity about the shambolic ending.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
What a bizarre game. We looked fairly comfortable at 3-1 and then it all went wrong.

The Keeper looked nervous and the defence lost all trust in him. As RLC says we played some decent stuff and Tollit was positive. Mullin is a bit of a headless chicken sometimes and needs to get his head up more - but he is a nuisance for the opposition.

Cole got his goal which he couldn’t miss but is still very limited in my view. Neat and tidy but not potent at all.

Player
Manager
John King
I think that collapse shows just how important McNulty is to us with his leadership, whatever his detractors say. We take it for granted that he is going to win header after header when the opposition pump balls into the box.

Well tonight we did not win the headers, and we all saw the result.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is a shame that morale-boosting goals for Stockton and Mullin were wiped out by some defensive/goalkeeping errors. Wasn't at the game, but have read some suggestion that the full-backs were at fault for some of the Crewe goals?

Player
Manager
John King
It is a shame that morale-boosting goals for Stockton and Mullin were wiped out by some defensive/goalkeeping errors. Wasn't at the game, but have read some suggestion that the full-backs were at fault for some of the Crewe goals?
Buxton and Zoum were both excellent tonight. However, Caprice came on for Bucko after about 65 minutes and that unsettled the defence and made us vulnerable down our right hand side.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Defence looked mostly solid up until the subs. Although keeper is along way from threatening the no1 slot - so might as well have kept Pilling. Thought Gilmour was very accomplished with everything he did. Some lovely one touch passes with the outside of his foot and always found space to receive the ball. Also though Cole had a good game and linked up well when he came in off the wing. Some good vision and an appetite for the ball. Score line hard to take.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Awful performance from George tonight. 3-1 we were coasting. Pretty poor to end up losing 4-3. Good to see Buxton back getting some game time. Was quite impressed with some of our forward play. I also thought Harris was excellent in midfield. Decent game to watch too, result unimportant. I hope their player is OK, looked a nasty injury.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I’m not a fan of the Checkatrade, progress would have made us money and can’t see us beating the Shrews away and City kids, which realistically is the only way we could reach the next round.

If we’re obliged to play George for a certain number of games, I’d be inclined to try and end the loan early. Recall Wharton/Pilling and play in the remaining Checkatrade games and stick with Davies in the FA Cup.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Agree ref GK situation. He looks like he may have potential, but is not mature or assertive enough for first team football. So wouldn't feel any more reassured with him as back up than Wharton or Pilling. Equally it was good to see others who may be on the fringe have decent games such as Harris and Gilmour. Gilmour in particular looked really assured on the ball and always received it in space.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just reminded myself of last night by watching the goals. George was partly to balme for the first. Monthe got caught under the ball and Porter was through. However we had covering defenders close by so he had to get his shot away early. George however came rushing out and made his decision for him to dink it over him straight away. George ended up practically outside the area. For the second goal their lad beat Buxton in the air and there was nothing the keeper could do. The 3rd saw George come for a free kick and beaten by Porter who nodded into the empty net. Another mistake.

The final goal saw Jones in acres of space in our box as his run wasn't picked up by the midfield. So a poor night for the keeper but overall defensively we were found wanting.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, the keeper will soak up a lot of blame but defensively we weren't great either.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think that collapse shows just how important McNulty is to us with his leadership, whatever his detractors say. We take it for granted that he is going to win header after header when the opposition pump balls into the box.

Well tonight we did not win the headers, and we all saw the result.
Having watched the goals, that's a very accurate assessment. Regardless of the keeper errors, you'd like to think we wouldn't have conceded any of the first 3 if Steve had been playing, while the winner could see a number of fingers pointed.

On the positive, Mullin took his goal very well.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Although Sutton, Ellis and Monthe are all reasonable CBs none of them has emerged as a defensive leader as yet. We really need one of them to develop and take on the mantel for the games Steve misses and definitely for next season.

Of the 3, I think it is most likely to be Ellis. Tuesday proved that a lack of defensive direction is quite capable of undoing the good work that takes place elsewhere on the park.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In the early stages of Sutton's Rovers career, Ritchie took on that role to some extent. Think Carlisle fans thought an inability to organse a defence was one of Ellis' weaknesses and he operates better alongside a leader.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not sure Ellis is a leader. He sticks to his job and does it well but seems fairly subdued doing it.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think any of the other centre backs are natural leaders; none of them are particularly vocal.

While Macca is still here, it is not really an issue. A problem for next season or beyond.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Strange......Gooders never spoke a word!!
We fell to pieces when he didn't play though.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's a fair point, CK. Leadership isn't just about shouting.