• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Crawley

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A potentially difficult game following on from the disappointment at Forest Green. We're only a point ahead of the visitors, who are in a decent position mainly thanks to a good home record and their fans seem happy with the football under Harry Kewell's Italian replacement Gabrielle Cioffi. The last time I saw us play Crawley was a 3-3 draw early in the relegation from L1 season, when Rovers grabbed a late equaliser. Don't know that much about their current side, but it seems a reasonably strong squad, with a few stalwarts like Felipe Morais in good form.

It will be interesting to see what changes Micky makes after Tuesday's disappointment at Forest Green. Haven't heard any injury updates, so assume that the recent absentees remain unavailable. MM will have to decide whether to stick with 451 or change formation. Given Paul Mullin has done fairly well when given any time on the pitch recently, my inclination would be to go for two up front, but unsure the manager views things the same way. Even if we stay 451, would expect more changing than simply the return of Ollie Banks.

Prediction: Think the crowd will be around 5.5k and not expecting many to venture up from Sussex. Not confident about this game at all,but so far this season, Crawley haven't travelled well,so expecting the points to be shared.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Prediction: Think the crowd will be around 4.5k and not expecting many to venture up from Sussex.
I think you are about 1,000 out - we have already sold close to 4,500 tickets and it is Thursday. I would guess there will be less than 100 Crawley fans.

There is a danger in reading too much into Tuesday night's result. We were without key, experienced players and struggled defensively, and the amount of travelling we have done in the last week also probably took its toll. However, there were a lot of good aspects to the performance and I don't think the tactics were fundamentally flawed. I would not be surprised if we stick with the 451 formation, particularly as Gilmour has been a key player in recent weeks and does not deserve to be dropped.

Adam Buxton is back in training and could start but it sounds like Zoum is not quite ready. Banks will return and if Adam is fit I would expect him to start at left back, where Manny was poor at Forest Green, with Macca and Monthe at centre back.

Crawley seem a decent side and are probably at a similar level to us: there are a few familiar names in their squad such as Vincelot, N'Gala, Francombe and Morais. However, their away form is poor and it is certainly a game we can win. With a very tough game to follow next week, we need to pick up three points.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Oops. I'd meant to say 5.5k and have corrected.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don’t think team selection for this game is an easy call. Gilmour, goal aside, didn’t stand out against Macc and hasn’t been mentioned much in reports of the away games.
I don’t know how influential he has been in more recent games, after gamechanging performances v Imps and Shrimps. It’s not a simple choice between Mullin and Harvey, could look at playing Jennings/Cole closer to Norwood for example. Smith’s importance appears to have been noted by our recent opponents, so maybe switch wings. I agree if Buxton is fully fit then the changes RLC suggests at the back would make sense.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A lot will depend on how well they recover mentally as well as physically from Tuesday. The next two home games are against two teams who will be challenging us for promotion, so both could go either way. A win tomorrow would be a motivational and tactical triumph for Micky. Crawley have been erratic away from home winning at Lincoln but losing at Notts County. This one is too close to call, so I am hedging my bets with a 1-1 prediction.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I don’t think team selection for this game is an easy call. Gilmour, goal aside, didn’t stand out against Macc and hasn’t been mentioned much in reports of the away games.
I don’t know how influential he has been in more recent games, after gamechanging performances v Imps and Shrimps. It’s not a simple choice between Mullin and Harvey, could look at playing Jennings/Cole closer to Norwood for example. Smith’s importance appears to have been noted by our recent opponents, so maybe switch wings. I agree if Buxton is fully fit then the changes RLC suggests at the back would make sense.
Agreed Boz selection is a difficult one. Might be worth giving Gilmour a rest as he has looked a little off the last 2 games and give Williams a start in midfield which means one loanee less in the side so could play Franklyn upfront if I have got my maths right? Buxton should come in for sure if fit and so should Zoum but I suspect he is not quite ready.
As to the result I am not that hopeful - I think teams are starting to work us out/ we have dropped off a bit. Think a draw would be an ok result given Crawley are a decent side

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I have missed the last 3 matches where it seems like our form has tailed off a bit from the comments on the forum.
That said the results have not been disastrous 1W 1D 1L with 2 of the games being away. I'm fully expecting to see the team who were storming up the league to turn up on Saturday.
We're definitely missing a bit of AM optimism on this thread, so I'm going for a 3-0 win!

Player
aldo
Hunney im baaaaaackkkkkkkkkk. Well thats been a poor few games . Not that ive been checking had a great hol the weather was superb. Im going for a tranmere 2-0 hoping the lord starts scoring again he has gone off the boil a little as for harvey we cant put to mutch pressure on the lad he can only get better . But we need goals from others now as we'll . Can see there being 5800 . With nors and banks doing the business

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
First home league game I cant go too, gutted too miss the game, think we will win 2 1

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Smith Gilmour Sutton out Buxton Cole Mullin in

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A potential problem with that line-up is a lack of width. Cole is no more a winger than Jennings and usually drifts inside and with Zoum out only getting attacking moves with pace through Caprice. Glad Mullin given another start, hoping that he and Nors can work something out up front.

Last edited:

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
4-2-3-1 with Mullin on the right and Cole behind Nors more like in the 1st half.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Great half. We have played a 4231 and Cole has been excellent in the number ten role.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Slowly gained momentum in the half and really pleased not only to be 2 up at half time but also to see Jennings on the scoresheet.

More of the same please.