• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Colchester

Rovers v Colchester
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, September 8, 2018 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 8, 2018 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Rovers will want to bounce back after the somewhat disappointing defeat to Crewe Alex in the Checkatrade trophy on Tues night. Rovers were cruising at 3-1 and ended up losing 4-3 albeit with a weakened squad on the night.

Meanwhile Colchester's checkatrade run also came to an abrupt end when they were beaten at home 2-0 to Southampton U21's although have been fairing much better in the league. Currently sitting in 4th position, they started the campaign with a draw against Notts County and a win against Port Vale. Their most notable win to date coming against Crew Alex with an impressive 6-0 win with Dickenson grabbing a brace after just 26 minutes!

Micky Mellon has a few selection headaches ahead of the game. Adam Buxton made his comeback from a lengthy injury putting in a solid performance on Tues night although probably needs a few more games for fitness. Bakayogo is back from his short injury layoff and was another good performer on Tues night.

Jay Harris is chomping at the bit after serving his 3-match suspension for the sending off against Swindon and looked fired up and hungry against Crewe scoring a great goal in the process. Upfront, Paul Mullin is pushing closer to a start after taking his goal well and Cole Stockton grabbed his first goal of the season which will boost his confidence ahead of the game.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A Rovers legend returns to Prenton Park on Saturday when John McGreal brings his Colchester team here. McGreal is probably the best footballing centre back I have seen in thirty-plus years of watching Rovers, and would possibly get into my all-time Tranmere eleven.

He has done a decent job at Colchester who like most of our recent opponents have some good players: for example, Harry Pell in midfield and Mikael Mandron, Luke Norris and ex-Rover Aaron Collins up front. I am not sure whether Colchester will be in the promotion shake-up at the end of the season, but on current form at least, this is our toughest game so far.

As Ian says, Micky has some selection dilemmas. I think we will stay unchanged from last Saturday, other than Zoum coming back in at left back with Ellis probably preferred to Monthe at centre back. I would like Mullin to get a start sooner or later, but I think MM will stick with Cole.

Prediction: gate of about 5,500 including a couple of hundred from Essex and either a draw or a narrow Rovers victory. A win would actually see us leapfrog Colchester and go deep into the play-off positions, which is a good incentive.

Last edited:
Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Agree with RLC on team, attendance & result, narrow 2-1 win for me... or 1-0 Monthe is an asset from the bench with his versatility. Jay will strengthen the subs & could see some action in the event of a narrow lead late on....

Player
aldo
Its good that a few others got a goal its abt time it was shared abt
. Hope we win with over6k again

drwhoman

I agree re McGreal RLC although I had the pleasure of watching Roy McFarland in his Rovers days. All class.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Have an uneasy feeling about this game, Colchester have made a good start to the season and will be difficult opponents.

Agree with what's been said about team selection, Zoum for Monthe the only change.

joe

I have McGreals shirt with autographs written on of all the team he played in. So there. Na na na na na

drwhoman

Lucky man! in a different topic. Andy Holt is on the BBC website complaining about L1 and L2 games being televised this weekend. I agree with him. Just to keep PL fans from getting withdrawal symptoms?

Reactions: Boz
Player
aldo
Over 4700 tickets sold so far we should hit are avg 6150 with a big 4-0 win think the goal machine will get one then think and hope the confodence of getting off the mark on tuesday cole will get a couple and hope banks gets off the mark he deserves a goal

Player
aldo
4900 . 90 away fans . i am bringing my wife today . so thats 4902 lets hit 6150 again and a big win

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hope I’m wrong but I think it’ll be off

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Would be disappointing if called off this late. Rain is steady in Birkenhead atm

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Zoum returns, but for Ellis, Monthe staying in central defence. No place on the bench for Buxton or Tollitt.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m guessing Buxton still needs the rest. Disappointed Ellis has been dropped has he’s been excellent so far. Wasn’t great on Tuesday but neither was monthe. Big manny has also done well this season but mainly at left back.

Agree zoom should be back in but would have stuck with the central pairing of Big Mac and Ellis who have had 3 clean sheets at home this season.

No surprise Tollit isn’t in the squad as he seems 5th choice winger behind smith, Larnell, CJ and DMH. Although I’d prefer Ben to Larnell. Not surprised Stockton starts after his goal but he still needs to be more effective and needs a league goal

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
1-0, Norwood shortly before h/t. We’ve looked reasonable going forward but a bit wobbly at the back on occasion. Colchester are a team of giants.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah I think their chances have been made by our own mistakes. They seem happy to spray it around the back too. Goal came at a great time, hopefully should spice up the second half.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
2 points dropped. So frustrating. First 15 minutes we were very good. Then it was even but a Well worked move involving Stockton and Smith saw Nors slipped in who made no mistake.

2nd half was a bit flat but we were comfortable until Davies opted to punch a cross he should have caught which was fired back at him and into the goal. After that we needed a lift and although it came a bit late (15 mins to go), Mullin and DMH made a difference but the former showed why he will not score many missing a sitter after CJ had his header saved.

The visitors were nothing special and are lucky they got a point. A few comments:

Monthe - I didn’t agree with Ellis being dropped but Manny was very good.

Banks - was anonymous.

Smith - set up the goal but too predictable at times. Always coming inside.

Jennings - works hard but missed a great chance and seems to be undroppable at times in mickeys eyes. We have a left footer on the right and a right footer in the left. With DMH and Larnell subs and Tollit not in the squad.

Stockton - neat and tidy as ever but never looks like scoring.

Mullin - you can see why he’s never got more than 10 in a season.

Today showed why one goal is not enough. We’re relying on Nors nicking a goal which he’ll do a lot but others aren’t stepping up, especially Mullin and Stockton who just aren’t good enough imo.