• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Chester

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
MM also said post match that Tollitt will be out for at least fifteen weeks. There was an article in the Orient programme about Ryan Taylor and Andy Taylor, both of whom suffered ACL injuries and never fully recovered from them, playing in fits and starts and regularly picking up related injuries. Hopefully the same does not happen to Ben.

drwhoman

Agree with Sparky's first comment. We are all disappointed today! Norwood would be playing at a higher level if his conversion rate was better. On the closing down issue this is more evident when Harris is not playing. It would probably be sensible to play him from the start against Aldershot. If MM is aiming to play two wide men in a 442 something has to give elsewhere. I presume the new winger will be a replacement for Tollit. What a huge shame for the boy and the team! He adds so much too it. MM is clearly doing everything he can to create more chances - the strikers have to take them!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Unfortunately AM, in this cesspit of a league we are the big boys and it seems refs are straight for their cards for any infringement from our lads.
Assuming they're intelligent enough to remember which pocket the cards are in!
I don't think "pressing" was a problem today.
Chester, to their credit, played some decent keep ball in the first two thirds, buying time, but they had absolutely nothing in the final third and ultimately they lost possession.
When that happened we did get the ball forward quite quickly.
Just one of those days.
Ok, we seem to have a lot of them but todays was much more tolerable.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It’s difficult not to be negative sometimes and I certainly dont want to be overly negative about today’s game as I think it was good in parts.

My big major concern is the conversion rate. Time and time again this season we have missed chances, ones that really should be put away and I’m looking at the overall picture and thinking we should have put Chester to the sword.. that’s a worry to me and also the fact that it’s happened since the start of the season so I dont buy into the ‘it’ll come good eventually’ as we seen no further forward in this regard.

I think we’ll be a mid-table side this season simply because we don’t score enough goals.

Player
Manager
John King
I suppose the counter argument is that we have just picked up seven points from nine, which is better than in any other similar sequence earlier in the season, and the last three performances have definitely been better than most of the previous twelve.

We will only know if we are genuinely on an upward trend in a few weeks' time.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
C'mon Ian, cheer up.
With you all the way in that a team with our strike force should be romping it.
But today, apart from some optimistic long range shots that went down the exits, we really did everything but score.
We'll come good.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fair point chaps, I’m probably more frustrated than anything. I will look to the positive :)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
One thing I felt we should have done more of is had some low shots from outside the box to test the keeper in the wet conditions.

CJ hit a couple over in the second half but in the first half Hughes had a chance of two and we seemed to overplay it a bit at times.

A few daisy cutters could have caused problems but never mind

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Firstly I would disagree that we had a number of clear-cut chances today. The only one in my opinion to fall into that category was the one Norwood put on a plate for McDonagh, with only the keeper to beat. We had about half a dozen good chances as well, but none had me thinking how the hell did we miss that? Of course, when confidence is high, many of the good chances get converted too.

I didn't think Cook was at his best today, but he's the player most likely to find the back of the net for us. McDonagh didn't score when he came on, but you could argue that our mobility up front increased with his introduction. One area of his game, Gerry needs to work on is in the air, think Mottley-Henry won more headers than him, despite being a few inches shorter.

I did feel, like others above, that we should have brought Harris on earlier. There were a number of occasions when we conceded ground in the middle of the park, whereas if we'd kept the pressure on more, it may have forced errors out of Chester. Also agree that it was worth giving Alabi a run out, with the 'rule' that you often score against a former club.

It was a surprise to me that the sponsors gave McNulty MoM. A sloppy pass across the box aside, he did nothing wrong, but in a game where we weren't under the cosh, I'd have looked elsewhere. There were a lot of curate's egg performances, good in parts. The two that stood out for me were Adam Buxton, some good crosses in the first half and no defensive mistakes, along with Dylan Mottley-Henry, who turned in a very composed performance.

It's my third game in a row when I haven't seen Rovers score. Hoping we can redress that when Halifax come to Birkenhead at the end of the month.

Player
Manager
John King
It might just be an argument about semantics, but I would have described several of the chances as clear cut, notably Mottley's header and Jennings' effort against the post in the second half.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Boz, I agree it wasn't it a case of clear cut chances being missed, though their goal did lead a charmed life.
Nors missed his customary one on one but he hit a screamer that was heading for top corner but keeper denied him.
DMH snook in for a header which he really wasn't entitled to get and again keeper pulled off a blinder.
But we made some good 'opportunities' today which, on another day, may have turned into goals.
That today, result apart, was a good shift.
Que Sera.
And you're right about DMH winning more in the air than "Rory" :).

Player
Manager
John King
I was impressed with DMH. For such an inexperienced player he seemed to have a good understanding of when to hold it, when to lay it off and when to take on the full back. A lot of wingers of that age just receive the ball and run.

He also did well to get into the box when the ball was on the opposite wing for the headed chance, something even experienced wide men often fail to do.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A game we needed to win and should have won at a canter, despite their keeper having a very good game some of the chances should have been buried.

Why Hughes is taking corners is beyond me, they are the same every time and so easy to defend

The lack of goals this season is very alarming and it is why we are not at the top of the table, we have tricky fixtures coming up in the next few weeks and for me next weeks game is imperative we get through to try to get as much money into the club with a decent cup run.

joe

Not wishing to sound flippant but in the last few matches all the goalies have played blinders against us!

A J W

Player
Ian Goodison
Sadly our finishing is very poor not only today but all season.

Norwood just doesn't seem able to do a one to one,mind that's why he's playing in this league,we had a crowd of 7000+(yes boosted by away fan's) today but just look at the crowd's in the rest of the League.
With that backing from the fan's that the club has we should not be languishing around 16 th in this league

We should be doing what Celtic do in their League , dominating this League not struggling against part-time players that some club's have.

We need to start putting the ball in the back of the net,the midfield need's to start putting the right ball's to the forwards wingers have to get too the backline and cross the right ball in.

The strike force have to start earning their pay by putting the ball in the damn net not straight into the keeper's arms make the keeper work.

We can't afford to stay in this league any more or crowd's will drop.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Having seen the match highlights, Rovers had more decent chances than I'd remembered and ought to have converted some of them. The save from the Norwood volley was quality, the Jennings shot onto the post was deflected, but could argue we should have done better with most of the rest.

The Norwood penalty/dive incident, having watched a number of times, I still find it hard to be sure either way.