• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Chester

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought Cook had a poor game and Mellon was right to take him off. The performance noticeably picked up when McDonagh came on because he at least gave us a bit more movement and occupied their defenders. The midfield was creative as well but three or four players missed gilt edged chances. Not much the manager could have done about that.

J

JKS

I agree, he was quiet today by his own standards, however when chasing a goal bringing an untried striker on when you have a proven striker at this level on the bench didn’t make sense to me. And although cook was quiet, give him a chance he will usually put it away. I just find the like for like subs frustrating. Be interesting to see how McDonagh develops, didn’t see much today that offered more than Waring to be honest, but time will tell.

Player
Manager
John King
The change made sense because of the way the game was developing at the time. Cook was not contributing in the second half and we could not hold the ball up because of it. We had ample chances to win today and we can't rely on Cook to score every goal.

J

JKS

I agree we can’t, but we do. We rely on Cook for 90% of our goals. The change never made a difference to the gameplay in my opinion as it was a like for like change seemingly - the change in system helped a little & Chester tired in the last 20 minutes after chasing the ball for the majority of the match. Even then we resorted to taking pot shots from outside the box. I’d have rathered him utilise Alabi personally, especially given the abuse he was getting when warming up.

Player
Manager
John King
The change did make a difference to the pattern of the game as McDonagh is more mobile than Cook, whatever other limitations he has. Cook would have finished the chance Rory missed but would he have been in that position in the first place ? Mellon was wrong to sideline Cook earlier in the season but that does not mean he has to play every minute of every game. He will have poor games like everyone else.

Stickman

Player
Aldo
I think some people are being overly negative. We've taken 7 points from 3 games in 8 days, 2 of which were played in difficult conditions. You could see that some of the players were looking a bit fatigued by the end. Even so, it's a big improvement on what's gone on before. Today we made plenty of genuinely good chances and if we carry on playing like that the goals will come.

J

JKS

The change did make a difference to the pattern of the game as McDonagh is more mobile than Cook, whatever other limitations he has. Cook would have finished the chance Rory missed but would he have been in that position in the first place ? Mellon was wrong to sideline Cook earlier in the season but that does not mean he has to play every minute of every game. He will have poor games like everyone else.

Sorry, who is Rory, is that a typo?

Player
Manager
John King
Sorry, who is Rory, is that a typo?
Oh, I do apologise. Gerry. Not sure what the relevance of that is to my argument ?

Again, you make a pointless, personalised comment which seems to be your stock-in-trade.

J

JKS

I think some people are being overly negative. We've taken 7 points from 3 games in 8 days, 2 of which were played in difficult conditions. You could see that some of the players were looking a bit fatigued by the end. Even so, it's a big improvement on what's gone on before. Today we made plenty of genuinely good chances and if we carry on playing like that the goals will come.

Completely agree, Wednesday will have taken its toll today with the heavy pitch, however Chester also played midweek and are a part time outfit so both sets of players were in the same position. It’s not necessarily a negative view.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Agree with Carthorse.
I've left PP after some wins and felt more downbeat than I did today.
Another day and we could have four or five.
Ok, we should have won but for long periods we pummelled them, let down only by our continuing fragility in front of goal.
If Nors has too much time to think about it you can bet he'll fluff a clear cut chance.
Some blinding saves by their keeper didn't help.
And WHEN are we going to relieve Hughes from corner taking. He planted about four in succession right on the head of the first defender. Inexcusable and totally frustrating.
In two minds about Cookie being subbed. If the new lad had showed something then it could have been the right decision. For me he didn't.
Anyone else notice Astles throwing his guts up just before second half kick off?

Reactions: JKS
Player
Manager
John King
Completely agree, Wednesday will have taken its toll today with the heavy pitch, however Chester also played midweek and are a part time outfit so both sets of players were in the same position. It’s not necessarily a negative view.
I struggle to find anything positive in your opening comments.

J

JKS

Oh, I do apologise. Gerry. Not sure what the relevance of that is to my argument ?

Again, you make a pointless, personalised comment which seems to be your stock-in-trade.

You lost me when you said Rory, that’s all. I didn’t want to assume and was just clarifying. I’ve already countered with my thoughts, don’t want to simply repeat myself for the sake of it.

Not once have I made a personalised comment about anyone to cause offence. However, this has been done by your good self every time you’ve accused me of doing so.

Player
Manager
John King
And WHEN are we going to relieve Hughes from corner taking. He planted about four in succession right on the head of the first defender. Inexcusable and totally frustrating.
I have no idea why we don't have more variation on the corners, even a right footer taking one for a change.

Player
Manager
John King
You lost me when you said Rory, that’s all. I didn’t want to assume and was just clarifying. I’ve already countered with my thoughts, don’t want to simply repeat myself for the sake of it.

Not once have I made a personalised comment about anyone to cause offence. However, this has been done by your good self every time you’ve accused me of doing so.
The tone of your comments to me has been consistently sarcastic since you appeared on this site, so perhaps you want to think before you press the post button. I don't accept that it is unintentional.

J

JKS

The tone of your comments to me has been consistently sarcastic since you appeared on this site, so perhaps you want to think before you press the post button. I don't accept that it is unintentional.

Sarcastic, or just simply has a differing opinion to you? I assumed this was a forum to debate all things Tranmere Rovers, where everybody’s opinion was welcome. Obviously not. I think you may be taking it a little too seriously.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Chester Chronicle reports:

"A goalkeeping masterclass from Alex Lynch earned Chester FC a share of the spoils after a 0-0 draw at Tranmere Rovers.

Lynch made a string of stunning saves to deny the home side, who had been on top for much of the 90 minutes".

Sums it up perfectly.

Player
Manager
John King
Sarcastic, or just simply has a differing opinion to you? I assumed this was a forum to debate all things Tranmere Rovers, where everybody’s opinion was welcome. Obviously not. I think you may be taking it a little too seriously.
No, I have no problem with people having different opinions to me as several of the regular posters do. What I take exception to are deliberately sarcastic or provocative comments, so please bear that in mind before you post.

This forum is so good precisely because it is not littered with petty, personalised arguments like the one I am engaged in now with you. So please stick to commenting on the football and don't spoil that.

J

JKS

No, I have no problem with people having different opinions to me as several of the regular posters do. What I take exception to are deliberately sarcastic or provocative comments, so please bear that in mind before you post.

This forum is so good precisely because it is not littered with petty, personalised arguments like the one I am engaged in now with you. So please stick to commenting on the football and don't spoil that.

I don’t think about how it may look when I post, and I don’t think I should do either - that’s the point of having a debate. Nobody is here to please any other members of the forum, simply to have an opinion on Tranmere. Whether that is positive, negative, or just randomly venting, it shouldn’t matter to anybody really. I’m only here to discuss Tranmere, and have only initiated a post about just that.

I have only gone off topic when quoted and accused of doing something I have not. I will leave it at that as I’m sure people are getting just as bored of this I am. G’day.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Calm down gents - it's only a game.

I thought it was a big improvement on many home games this season when we have created very little. Micky got things ok today overall but I don't agree with his subs.

I'm a massive fan of cook and yes he was quiet - but he always has a goal in him, especially from set plays. However I would have taken CJ off late on and put Norwood wide and Alabi up front. Just felt it was fate that Alabis first goal for us could have been today. Felt it was written in the stars for James and CJ is wasted out wide altho did ok today.

why Buxton, CJ or Rides couldn't take a corner is beyond me. Micky said post match we're still trying to bring a winger in this week.

Still an improvement overall so moving in the right direction - so frustrating though

Player
aldo
We have the worst corner kick taker ive ever known . Even dave higgins said today its stupid that we dont learn . Every corner is the same . An we dont close down all over the pich enough. To mutch space for the opposition . When we did close them down we did get the ball . But we are not dirty enough .we need to start kicking the opposition an not be giving them afternoon tea and cake. If the whole team ran like norrs . But didnt miss the bloody 1 on1s . Think if he scored even half of em over the last year he would prob have had 20 more goals