• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Chelmsford City

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Chelmsford actually played a 3-5-2. They were very well disciplined but created relatively little going forward. The passing from Wallace and Hughes was fine in the first half, but they were too deep and there was no movement ahead of them.

Wallace's fitness issues are blinding people to the good things he does in games. He played a big part in our victory at Woking last week.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Well I thought I'd give it 24 hours to see if I could see the game a little more objectively and to try and see if there were any positives to be gained from the game and to consider the managers post-match comments. Regrettably, I still feel the same as yesterday....we were total dross. We were at home to a part-time team 25 places below us who looked fitter, sharper and more committed than we did. Apart from Stockton's goal and very late efforts from Norwood and Dunn we failed to break them down and create any meaningful chances. It has been hinted elsewhere that Chelmsford came to "park the bus", nothing could be further from the truth. For most of the game they played a 4-4-2 but were able to get cover back when needed because we were so slow in working the ball forward it was ridiculously easy for them to switch from attack to defence.
Our midfield, supposedly the engine room of any team, was totally ineffective other than for the efforts of Maynard who for some inexplicable reason was dragged off at half-time. Wallace was dreadful from start to finish failing to find a white shirt 9 times out of 10, he is totally unfit and can hardly summon up the energy to move forward in any attacking sense or provide defensive cover when needed, which meant whatever role he was supposed to provide was limited to searching for the miracle pass from an essentially static midfield position, which he totally failed to do. By the end of the match his demeanor was one of absolute dejection.
I feel the limited movement of Wallace meant more pressure was placed on Hughes and this impacted adversely on his performance. Until Micky bites the bullet and acknowledges that an unfit Wallace is actually detracting from overall team performances we are going nowhere. God only knows what Harris must feel at being left on the bench while an immobile and ineffectual Wallace stays on the field.
I heard nothing from Micky in his post-match summary, apart from a half-hearted apology of sorts to Maynard, to alleviate my sense of disappointment and frustration with a system which seems to be organised to accommodate Wallace. At least we were not subjected to the nonsense of the "10% underperformance" which he promulgated as the cause of our failure against Dagenham. Taking nothing away from Chelmsford, who actually deserved to win this match, this was, certainly apart from the final 20 minutes an absolutely spineless display by Rovers, who, as a team, displayed no passion, no desire, no conviction and I'm sorry Micky, apart from haranguing each other, very little in terms of effort.
What exactly did Micky say about Maynard, Frenchrover? Wirral Radio were surprised at the substitution as shortly before the break Maynard had run at their defence, something they thought was much needed. Having seen the Chelmsford goal, while it was a great finish, Wallace could have done much better in the build-up.

While Wallace is not all bad, as RLC highlights, it is a big mistake for Micky to be building the side around him. When he's having a bad game, he needs to be treated the same way as anyone else and taken off.

Player
Manager
John King
While Wallace is not all bad, as RLC highlights, it is a big mistake for Micky to be building the side around him. When he's having a bad game, he needs to be treated the same way as anyone else and taken off.

Yes, I agree. When a 442 suits us better, Wallace should be left out. Hughes has been our best midfielder this season and there is no reason why Wallace should not compete for a place with Maynard, Hughes and Jennings rather than being guaranteed a start.

I actually thought Maynard was poor yesterday. MM emphasised in his interview that the substitution was tactical and he was not scapegoating Lois.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I see the quarter-final draw is on Wednesday morning, which means we'll know it before the replay. If we get through, there are three teams from the north (including Barrow and Macclesfield), three from the south and Lincoln. The three teams I named have all beaten us this season, so I hope we avoid them or at least draw them at home.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I think the draw is tomorrow (Monday) at 10.30am approx , we are no.4 with the full draw numbers being as follows:

1. Lincoln City

2. Braintree Town or Dulwich Hamlet

3. Barrow

4. Tranmere Rovers or Chelmsford City

5. Macclesfield Town

6. Brackley Town

7. York City

8. Sutton United or Boreham Wood

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought taking Maynard off meant we had no defensive cover should one of the back four get injured. Neither of Sutton/Buxton were on the bench. Micky made the tactical decision to go 3 at the back later in the game, so that's probably how we'd have dealt with a defensive injury.

It's far from certain that we'll win the replay, as Chelmsford will be fired up and feeling confident after the weekend game. Looking at the options if we do progress, Brackley or Dulwich Hamlet at PP would be the preferred draw for me. If we get knocked out and our scheduled opponents for 25th, Boreham Wood progress, there don't seem many options for rescheduling so another blank weekend seems likely.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Great news - for the other clubs! But at least it's at home and hopefully we'll get a reasonable crowd - if we get through.

I'm not unhappy with this draw as I think it will (sorry, would) be a more open and entertaining game than another lower league opponent.

I wonder whether the draw has an effect on how a team performs in a replay. For example, would Brackley at home make either side try harder on Wednesday evening?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounded as though Chelmsford wasn't a bad game though. Can't see Barrow bringing many more than the 163 at the weekend or a great deal of enthusiasm for this fixture from the Rovers faithful

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Decent draw and I think we'll put in a decent display on Wed to make the fixture stand.

Player
Manager
John King
A good draw as we have to play the stronger sides at some stage if we are get to Wembley and we will go into the tie as favourites given our home record. If we do get to the semi-finals it could be a reasonably straightforward route to the final, providing we avoid Lincoln.