• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Cards

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I would personally bring McNulty back in for Sutton on Saturday. Ritchie did not do anything wrong tonight, but Big Mac is the better player.
Agreed. I think he'll step back in. I hope McEverley manages to stay reasonably injury free this season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Comfortable win, but it was a strange game. There were spells of great passing and interplay, oddly enough, most notable just before their goal. However there were also times when you felt that the players weren't on the same wavelength and I wonder whether the lack of pre-season fixtures contributed to that. This was particularly so in midfield, where all three played well individually, but didn't appear always to function as a unit.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
there were also times when you felt that the players weren't on the same wavelength and I wonder whether the lack of pre-season fixtures contributed to that. This was particularly so in midfield, where all three played well individually, but didn't appear always to function as a unit.
Could not disagree more. The midfield trio were great. You must have been at a different game to me.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Could not disagree more. The midfield trio were great. You must have been at a different game to me.
We always seem to be at different games. I'll expand my remarks more in the morning about the midfield and potential problems.

drwhoman

I was interested in MM's comments about Cook after the game. He said that he did not consider him fit enough last season but that he had really put his head down pre-season and Mickey reckons that he is as fit as he has ever been. Andy is undoubtedly a big unit and guys like him can struggle with weight and fitness. It is a credit to him that he has not gone off in a sulk and it is clear that MM recognises this. It will be interesting to see where Waring fits in. I notice he was on the bench last night.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A few thoughts on individuals;

McEveley had a good game, though should perhaps have challenged in the air for the Woking goal. At times when we were attacking, he seemed to occupy the left-back position, unsure if instinctive or under instructions.

Norburn was steady and took his goal well. Could have had another if he'd attacked a great ball into the box from Dunn.

Didn't notice Dunn much playing over the other side first half. When he was my side of the pitch second half, a lot of promise and he was prepared to try something different, even if it didn't always come off. Decent corner for the third goal.

Alabi only had about 15 minutes as a sub. A good chance which he'd largely created himself got stuck under his feet. Still a bit raw though.

Unsure if I'd immediately restore McNulty to the starting xi. We missed his aerial presence, but conceded fewer soft free-kicks and Sutton did nothing wrong.

The crowd was disappointing, time of year maybe a factor and the visitors only brought about 40. Not sure we'll get many more on Saturday.

MoM Nobody had a poor match. Jennings had a good game, deployed out of position, but I think Jay Harris with some great passing and movement along with a spot of ankle-biting edged it for me.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was interested in MM's comments about Cook after the game. He said that he did not consider him fit enough last season but that he had really put his head down pre-season and Mickey reckons that he is as fit as he has ever been. Andy is undoubtedly a big unit and guys like him can struggle with weight and fitness. It is a credit to him that he has not gone off in a sulk and it is clear that MM recognises this. It will be interesting to see where Waring fits in. I notice he was on the bench last night.
It's an interesting interview on the TRFC YouTube site.

Micky is generally open and honest. His comments on Cook now make sense and both parties have come out with great credit. Cook has acknowledged his fitness issue and worked on it without complaining. On the other hand, Micky must take credit for having the courage to drop his leading goalscorer. It would have been easy not to. I am feeling more confident about the capability of the manager, the quality of his squad and our overall prospects than I can remember for a long time.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's quite obvious we have one of the best squads in the division. IMO the best squad. We had bags of quality on the ball last night.

We just have to make sure we are consistent as this is what will win the league.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
An interesting and sometimes illuminating interview from Micky. Great that Cook was able to knuckle down and improve his fitness as demanded by the management team, but if he'd done as asked, it begs the question why he didn't start at Torquay ahead of Alabi. Also, if fitness level rather than ability is a major factor in picking forwards, shouldn't similarly exacting appropriate fitness standards apply elsewhere on the park...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
McNulty does a fine job in defence.

Player
Manager
John King
Alabi and Norwood were better than Cook in the pre-season games, so you could make an argument for them starting at Torquay on merit, not that it is the decision I would ever have made. What is important is that Mellon dropped Alabi after he failed to perform at Torquay, when he could have been stubborn and stuck with him.

Regarding the fitness issues, I don't believe that Cook's physical state is the sole reason for his disagreement with Mellon. However, MM clearly likes his forwards to harry and press and get teams penned in, so the physical demands he places on the strikers are probably different to those on the centre halves.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
As good as Macca is, I think Sutton will keep his place, particularly as it's at home and in theory he shouldn't be under too much pressure.
For me, too many excellent performances to single anyone out.
McEveley showed he's a footballer not just a stopper and his distribution, as is Buxton's, is excellent.
Norburn ran out of gas a little but, particularly first half, he wanted the ball and his goal was a bit of opportunism.
Harris has picked up where he left off before his injury, all over the place, harrying etc and on the receiving end of some harsh treatment which, as we know, just spurs him on.
Lost count of the number of times Hughes lost his marker with his trademark change of direction, it was comical.
Terrific, deserved reception for Cookie when he came off followed by high fives with MM.
All in all, excellent game and result and a nice Tweet from The Cards to boot.

M

Mal

All i will say is that Cook isnt a natural runner off the ball. He faded in second half but hey, if he can score out of the blue , great.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just watched the goals again. You can see how Cook felt celebrating as he pushed first Dunn off and then other players who tried to celebrate with him. Clearly relieved that he showed why he should be our number 1 striker.

Glad to finally hear MMs reasons about Cook. The high pressing game is one whe you need your strikers constantly pressurising defenders. How this works with a 4-3-3 is something I'm not convinced of yet as their is a danger when we are attacking that Cook will be isolated and exhausted towards the end of a game. He won't have the natural fitness of Norwood. MM clearly also isn't the arm around the shoulder type manager with his comments of "let's not get carried away" about Cook.

Surely we should be offering him a new deal soon? If we don't go up this year he'll surely leave the club and we'd get nothing for him. Early days perhaps but he's a key player and we want to keep him happy.

Turning back to the defence, as stated I think Sutton should stay in ahead of McNulty as no player should get the impression they are irreplaceable. Captain or not.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think McNulty will be back. Not only is he a better defender but his distribution is much better than Sutton.

I agree with you Sparky re Cook. Playing that lone striker role requires a lot of running about chasing balls. He did well in the first half but naturally tired in the second. Not sure that should continue. He needs someone with pace doing the running for 90 mins.

Also forgot to mention my MOTM goes to Harris who was excellent. He was like a man possessed and chased everything down. Just the grit we need in midfield.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Still get the feeling that the fitness issue is not the whole picture regarding Cook's non-selection. I would say we lost more points through Norwood failing to convert one on ones than Cook not running around enough. Mellon's response to that question about Cook that Sparky alludes to was prickly and could have been handled better.

Would agree that McNulty is a better defender than Sutton. However he got stupidly sent off and Sutton is the fitter player, so don't think it sends the right message to automatically recall him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Still get the feeling that the fitness issue is not the whole picture regarding Cook's non-selection.
I'd agree with that, as he was banging them in last season.

Player
Manager
John King
I think McNulty should start for the same reason Cook should start: you play your best players. A lot of our supporters look for any opportunity to criticise McNulty because of his weight, but he remains our best defender. I am excited by the prospect of him and McEverley playing together. They are both really comfortable on the ball.

MM suggested in his interview there would be rotation of the strikers. I don't mind the others being rotated around Cook, but he should be the first name on the teamsheet. We probably would have won at Torquay if he had played (think of that chance Norwood missed after five minutes which Cook would have put away). Obviously, losing two points in one game is not a disaster but more crucial points will be dropped if he is not a regular.

M

Mal

Still get the feeling that the fitness issue is not the whole picture regarding Cook's non-selection. I would say we lost more points through Norwood failing to convert one on ones than Cook not running around enough. Mellon's response to that question about Cook that Sparky alludes to was prickly and could have been handled better.

Would agree that McNulty is a better defender than Sutton. However he got stupidly sent off and Sutton is the fitter player, so don't think it sends the right message to automatically recall him.

Mick cannot win, can he. His choices last season won more games than not. He has no reason to lie and to be honest i watched Cook against Woking and he was nowhere near as proactive off the ball as Norwood is. Ihave been a critic of Norwood's finishing buthe still managed 15 and helped to set up a few as well.

We cannot armchair manage the team. Micky sees what he wants and doesn't want . the buckstops with him. And when a player is a crowd favourite based on emotion , it won't help the team.

I still expect Cook to play next umpteen games.

And the team played really well against Woking. Cook was but one of the team who did well.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mick cannot win, can he. His choices last season won more games than not. He has no reason to lie and to be honest i watched Cook against Woking and he was nowhere near as proactive off the ball as Norwood is. Ihave been a critic of Norwood's finishing buthe still managed 15 and helped to set up a few as well.

We cannot armchair manage the team. Micky sees what he wants and doesn't want . the buckstops with him. And when a player is a crowd favourite based on emotion , it won't help the team.

I still expect Cook to play next umpteen games.

And the team played really well against Woking. Cook was but one of the team who did well.

Cook is a crowd favourite because he scores goals, consistently. I doubt that Norwood, whatever his merits, would have hit the back of the net from the same position last Tuesday. No first team regular got frozen out for lack of fitness apart from Cook, although there were candidates. By opting to respond with the churlish 'let's not get carried away' remark to the positive question about Cook, Micky has kept this issue live.