• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Canaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm expecting to see some changes for this one.

At the back, Gordon didn't nothing to suggest he'll keep Zoum out, having served his ban. I suspect that Les will stick with Broomes at right-back, even if Edds is fit.

Midfield is likely to remain unchanged with the defensive trio, anything to stifle Norwich, though I wouldn't mind seeing our loanee from WBA at some point. There might even be a case for slotting Edds in ahead of Ash Taylor, given his greater experience.

Attack has been toothless lately. Has Bas actually troubled any opposing keeper since his return? I'm struggling to recall any instance of this. If ITM is fit, he should certainly be recalled, otherwise things are so bad I'd wonder about giving Bain a chance. At least he seems to be playing quite well for the reserves, unlike some on the first team fringes.

Prediction. Can't see us getting anything less than a hammering, although our goal drought may end.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Zoom simply HAS to come back in, for his energy and enterprise down the left. It's a feature of our game which we have seriously missed when he doesn't play imo. Wasn't at Brighton, but from what I read and saw the kid from Chelsea didn't have a great debut.

I'd like to see Lebadie given a go in midfield. After all, why was he brought to the club if he wasn't going to play. He can't be any worse than McLaren, surely? A midfield trio of Lebadie, Taylor and Welsh for me.

And yes, we miss ITM so if he's fit, he has to come back in, especially as Andy Robinson is banned. Bas, you're right, hasn't threatened any opposing goalkeeper, but is a far better option than Gornell who simply isn't good enough.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Really really have to try and keep a clean sheet here. We have problems scoring goals so we nick it by the odd goal. That's an optimistic view. Although we need to start winning games, and fast, I'd be happy with a draw here in all honesty. Norwich have picked up more points away from home than we have at home and have scored 47 more goals than us so far, so I think a draw would be a well earned point.

A thrashing at home really wouldn't set us in good stead for the remaining games this month, so let's keep our fingers crossed the lads can perform.

Zoum definitely to come back into the side. Good news is that Les seems to like the lad, so he should slot straight back in. Whoever we have upfront, they have to make themselves more imposing and Baz really needs to step up his game as he should be nearing full fitness once again.

Keep McLaren out of the side. He'll be far too slow for the game, Norwich will run rings around him. Possibly give this Labadia lad a chance as he had good reports from Brighton and may freshen up the midfield. Can we try and keep Broomes away from the squad, he's a hindrance. Edds into right back maybe?!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
0-6

Claiming that Bas needs to "step up his game" is really unfair. He came near enough straight into the team having been out for the best part of a year and tbh has played way too much in recent weeks - probably deserves a rest. His recovery is an ongoing process.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A rest! He's been out for best part of a year :wink:

Selection Issues

Edds must surely step in at right-back now that he's available again, Zoum will be back for certain I would imagine. Likewise with ITM if he is fit to play. I agree, Labadie should be given a start although Les had made it clear that the purpose of his arrival was to cover midfield suspensions as both Welsh and McLaren are closing in on automatic bans. Do they have an amnesty on ten yellow cards or do these bookings carry through until the end of the season?

I thought when we were trailing at Brighton it would have been worth us bringing Bain into the action, we had nothing more to lose as the 2nd half progressed!

Player
Goodison
Hopefully Les might bang his head Friday morning and decide to play 4-4-2, because Norwich's wide players will tear us apart if we play our midfield 3, who seem to have a 10 yard piece of rope tied round their ankles.

McLaren must be dropped he doesn't do anything. His legs have gone since he was last here and it's time the management acknowledged this.

If Broomes is playing right back we will effectively be playing with 3 defenders, I don't understand why Les think's he's a suitable right back given he is left footed:roll:, although Robinson is apparently right footed according to Les so a pattern is emerging here. However if anything Robinson is two footed in more than one sense:-s

Team I would play:
Daniels

Edds McCready Goodison Bakayogo

Barnett Taylor Labadie Mahon

Savage Thomas-Moore

Subs: Collister, Broomes, Gordon, Welsh, Shuker, Bain, Curran

I'm not a fan of Barnett but he can't be worse than Shuker these days. Welsh hasn't done much wrong but I wouldn't want to drop McCready for Taylor or not play Labadie. If ITM isn't fit I would be tempted to give Bain ago for the hell of it - he scored twice for the reserves and our other forwards arn't exactly setting the world alight!

The actual team will probably be either ITM (if fit) or Gornell in for Robinson. I would personally bring in Mahon for Robinson and ITM for Curran as well as Labadie for McLaren and Edds for Broomes, (On the basis that we're playing 4-3-3)

I've just noticed the ref is Eddie Illerton - whose last game was the 30-0, sorry 3-0, tharshing at Leeds earlier this season a bad omen perhaps...

Prediction: 2-2 with the mighty Gareth Edds hitting a last minute equaliser from 30 yards live on Sky (for Rovers obviously...), or more likely Rovers losing 1 something with the consolation coming off Bas Savage's ass#-o

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Bakayogo and Edds must be brought back in to the full back positions for the reasons already stated. I certainly wouldn't object to Labadie starting ahead of McLaren from what I saw last Saturday, but can't see it happening in this game due to his relative inexperience.

Personally, I would definitely go with the dreaded 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 in this one. I think it is crucial we avoid conceding an early goal a la Leeds, Huddersfield and Brighton, as if we have to open out and attack we could get torn to pieces. We need to park a bus as far as it is possible to do that in a home game.

One point from the next two games would be an achievement I think. Hopefully Moore will be fit to more than double (if you look at the stats) the goalscoring threat of our strike force.

I also believe some of the criticism of Savage is very harsh. He has been out for 11 months and there was no way he was going to even be close to full match fitness this season: next year the real Savage will return (if he is still here).

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
I'd like them to get a point from this game but I'm not sure they will

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Think we'll get a draw at least.

Off to lie down and take my pills.

:lol: it's an optimisitic view, them pills strong are they? Come and see me before the game please mate haha!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
i can only see an away win they are miles aay the best team in the league, we can only hope they have an off night.

I agree we need to keep it tight and maybe evern score the first goal as i dont think we have it in us to come from behind tonight.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Tranmere 3, Norwich 1

Well done everyone on this topic! Just keep predicting more doom and gloom and we'll soon be safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.