• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Brizzle City

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The visitors were one of the pre-season favourites to go straight back up, but despite Sean O'Driscoll's experience in the lower leagues, his current side have taken time to adapt. However we're up against them, just as they start to hit some form. I disagree with those saying it's a 6-pointer, our opponents have enough resources to continue moving up the table, but it is a game we need to take something from, especially given the toughies up next.

OFW away with Wales means a recall for Mooney back after injury and ready to aim for a third clean sheet. Max Power's back from suspension, by may have to settle for a place on the bench, as, injuries permitting, would expect same outfield starting xi as Accrington.

Prediction. Slightly bigger away following than usual and the fact we haven't played them for a while may bring a few more home fans in, but doubt we'll get more than 4.5k. A draw the most likely outcome, but if there's to be a winner, the away side more likely.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We seem to be catching City at a bad time given their recent upturn in results, but with both teams in decent form this one is difficult to call. However, with Cov and Wolves away to follow we really need three points; defeat could see us cut adrift again by the end of the month.

Although Koumas played well at Accrington, I have reservations about him starting the game. It was noticeable that we did not play at the right tempo for much of the game last week, and I think Koumas's presence encourages a slower build up. I think we missed Max's energy at Stanley, particularly on the counter attack, and in some ways I believe he is better suited to a 4-5-1 where we look to create the majority of chances on the break.

City expect to bring at least 500 so the gate should be a bit better than the majority this season, but still probably below 5,000.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
think this will be very tough, may just get a point 1 1 with crowd just over 5000

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think we'll step up and win 2-0. Mind you, although I've had a good run of luck predicting our away results, I'm rubbish at home.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I fear we will struggle to score and possibly lose this one 0-1

Crowd 4,350

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Got a good feeling about this one. 2-1 Rovers win. Hope Mooney has a good game.

Player
Manager
John King
Disappointing not to have won the game after a dominant second half performance, but our steady improvement continues. The first half was extremely poor, the lethargy of the Accrington performance last week appearing to carry over. City passed the ball better than we did, aided by our failure to press, close down and do the basics without the ball. Defensively we looked shaky, with the absence of Hateley resulting in a lack of protection for the centre backs who were overstretched at times. The defending was very poor for their goal, the back four being cut out by a single ball when attempting to play offside and I thought Mooney may have done a little better when left one on one with Baldock. Thereafter, Mooney made some decent saves and did ok. Bristol were by no means great but were probably unlucky not to go into half time ahead.

In the second half we gradually built momentum, got Koumas on the ball in the right areas and completely dominated, without creating a great number of chances, their centre backs dealing well with a number of quality balls which we put into their box (which could have been attacked better by our midfielders it must be said). The sponsors choice of man of the match perplexed me: I think they picked the wrong Jason, as Koumas ran the game after half time, showing real quality and energy. Jake Kirby and Max Power were also fantastic in the second half.

Still, our decent run continues and we just have to hope we come through the next two away games relatively unscathed.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Not a bad outcome, as most of our rivals lost including the three teams below. Defeat would have been a setback, but coming from behind and not being beaten is a positive.

Player
Nixon
Awesome 2nd half,

first half I thought Max give the ball away very cheaply on lots of occasions or sold a team mate down the river with a hospital ball.
Both ABB and holmes couldn't trap a bag of sand.

The game passed Koumas by in the first half, 2nd half he was awesome. I was in the lower Kop and all his crosses where good and needed to be attacked from the edge of the area....... we defo missed a trick there.

happy with a point, against a quality team who will take points off other people

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd agree with the comments above. We wasted 35 minutes in the first half. We were at sixes and sevens for most of the half. Their goal was really poor from a defensive point of view. You really can't be getting beaten with balls like that, you could see it was coming. Not sure what the two centre backs were doing.

But.. on a positive note, I thought we were excellent in the second half and really unlucky not to come away with the three points. It was great to see Koumas playing the role just behind Lowe. It gave him more opportunity with the ball and he's without doubt the best we have in terms of passing, set pieces, ball control etc... Some of the crosses delivered into the area were superb, disappointing we couldn't get on the end of them.

Certain improvement over the last few weeks and I think once Wallace returns, that will only help to strengthen more.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I should have mentioned earlier that Preston won at Leyton Orient. So our result at Deepdale wasn't bad. It's a question of whether we have the patience to scramble out of the bottom four. It will be some time before we are safe. Our squad is OK now, but we need to steer clear of injuries and suspensions - and hang on to all the loanees.

Last edited:

drwhoman

You would have thought that more quality in midfield when Wallace and Robinson are back will give them a kick along as well. Wallace will be wanting to make a point having been out for so long and with his contract expiring in the summer. If he returns in the same form he was in before he was injured then I doubt very much whether we will hang on to him unless we have a new owner willing to splash some cash!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I also think Kirby is an exciting prospect. Always looks keen and energetic when be comes on. Mooney had a good game, especially in the first half when he made some good saves.

I think Rovers will be OK this season. The remainder of the season will play out like it has in recent weeks. We won't be turning teams over, nothing spectacular, but we'll grind out results. As long as the team is putting in the effort and the key players stay injury free, I'm confident of a mid table finish.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A woeful first half but vast improvement in the 2nd half. Although we had more of the ball in the 2nd half than them we didn't really create many chances and certainly did not deserve too win, Mooney was by far the busier keeper in the game.

we really need to start to win games especially at home or we will be in for a long hard struggle at the bottom. Looking at our next 2 fixtures I would be surprised if we got anything out of them meaning Colchester will be a must win game.

Player
Manager
John King
We were far more dominant in the second half than Bristol were in the first and deserved to win the game. The stats show that over the ninety minutes we matched them for shots on target and had far more efforts off target. If it had not been for the performance of Flint at centre back for them we would have got the win; the second half reminded me of the home game against Doncaster last season when Rob Jones performed heroics to keep us out.

Contrary to what Mart suggests, we are winning games now: in the last seven matches, since major changes were made to the squad and system, we have won three, drawn three and lost one. You can't win every game, even against supposedly 'poor' opposition (which Bristol aren't if you look at their players). If our recent form continues we will pull away to safety. The next two away games are really tough, but the season is not decided in November and we are clearly heading in the right direction. As Ian says above, the key is staying clear of injuries and holding on to the new additions longer term.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
RLC, we have won 3 games out of 16 in the league so we clearly are not winning games, remind me of the saves there keeper had to make, he made less than Mooney.

Player
Manager
John King
We have won three of the last seven; you choose to ignore the upturn in our form since Hateley, McNulty, Ridelhalgh were brought in. As I have said, if that form continues we will pull away to safety. Apparently you believe recent performances have been of the same standard as when Foster, Horwood etc. were in the side ? Give the coaching staff some credit for the changes that have been made, particularly defensively.

In the second half their keeper tipped over a cross-shot from Kirby at full stretch and was beaten when Flint cleared the ball off the line. In addition, we put numerous quality balls into the box which should have been, and on another day would have been, put away. We struggled to create clear openings because they were defending in numbers, but we were clearly the dominant side in the second half. The stats state that they had the same number of shots on target as us, so argue with the statistics if you want to.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
so a overhit cross and 1 other effort was all we had too show for our dominance then? against what was a fairly poor team who are very weak at the back.

Yes we have improved and we certainly don't concede anywhere near as many goals as we did but we do not score enough or create enough and as long as this continues we will continue to be near the bottom of the table.

I would like to see a decent wideman brought in and get the likes of Sodje out on loan as hes just a waste of a wage, though hes now ahead of Stockton it seems.

Player
Manager
John King
so a overhit cross and 1 other effort was all we had too show for our dominance then? against what was a fairly poor team who are very weak at the back.

We had the greater share of possession, put them under sustained pressure and put numerous balls into the box in the second half. We had twice as many shots on goal in the game as they did (read the BBC stats). They did not have a shot in the second half until the 80th minute and their only opportunities after half time came on the counter attack. So yes, in the second half we dominated.

We do not score many goals, but we don't concede many either. As a result we have picked up 9 points from the last 6 games. You don't need to be a mathematician to work out that if that form continues we will stay up. Yes, there is room for improvement but that is true of all teams in the bottom half.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bigmart, from the way we started the season, the last few weeks has been on improvement and we have better players in the team. As I said, we aren't going to be turning teams over, but we will be picking up points. One step at a time. Defensively we have improved and while we play with one up front, don't expect the goals to be flying in.

I think we also need to stay positive for the next couple of games. Lot of people saying we have no chance. They also said the same when we played Preston away.