• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Braintree

M

Mal

think the strikers need shooting practice period. Be interesting to see how it goes against Dover who seem to score a lot but concede a lot on occasions.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
think the strikers need shooting practice period. Be interesting to see how it goes against Dover who seem to score a lot but concede a lot on occasions.
Dover had an ominously comfortable win at Guiseley, who were one of the form teams. We are likely to get punished if we fail to take our chances in that one

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Cook missed two, though one was when Norwood put him off. Someone else's turn, McNulty did at one of his previous clubs. Connor Jennings maybe?

Yes, Jennings could be ok.

I suggested Cook purely because he is the best finisher at the club by some distance. God knows where we would be without him.

Player
Manager
John King
Dover had an ominously comfortable win at Guiseley, who were one of the form teams. We are likely to get punished if we fail to take our chances in that one

Blow hot and cold though don't they ? It depends which Dover side turns up, and more specifically whether or not Miller has a good game.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
We should have been out of sight by the time Ihiekwe brilliantly saved on the line. Again 100% effort from Nors but that early miss was a shocker, didn't even work the keeper.
Jennings dragged an equally simple chance a little later.
It would have been a travesty if Braintree had gone home with anything. As good as they were last season, they were as spoiling as any other team that's been to our place this time round and how we've walked off with four bookings and just two for them beggars belief.
Don't fall into the trap of thinking you've seen the worst referee ever....there's another round the corner as today proved.
Even the 'fourth official' was a joke. 3 mins in first half when there's been no subs and the trainers haven't been on and 5 mins in second half!
Pleased MM didn't pander to the crowd and make subs for the sake of it. Mekki for Jennings at the time was sensible- there was no need to otherwise disrupt things.
Lincoln's result was a bit of a bummer but hey ho, didn't particularly like FGR crowing at the top either!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The standard of these officials is so amateurish at times it's laughable. The only way to escape this is to get out off this dreary league.

I think the problem with Nors is that if he has too much time to think about what he's going to do he fluffs it. As a striker you can't miss that many one-on-ones. Something's not right there.

Didn't think Mekki made much difference when he came on although I suppose it was a pair of fresh legs. Found it hard to pick a MOTM as I don't think anyone really stood out.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It would have been a travesty if Braintree had gone home with anything
It would indeed, but how many times have we seen that happen when we don't take our chances and get caught out late on. There were a couple of shaky moments towards the end of the game today.

We simply must take our chances to kill the game off.

Player
Manager
John King
It would indeed, but how many times have we seen that happen when we don't take our chances and get caught out late on.

In fairness, it has hardly happened at all under Mellon because our defensive record is so good. The only two occasions we have lost leads at home were against Chester and Bromley, when we were actually two goals up but were reduced to ten men in the second half.

A lot of people still seem to think we are poor at home, but we actually have the best home record in the league. However, I agree it would be more relaxing to be three up at half time.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Another nerve wracking affair but 3 points all that mattered.

Thought Hughes was disappointing today. A bit slow at times and I knew he'd miss the spot kick. As Boz said I think in midweek, MM could have signed a centre mid as if Harris or Hughes had gone off injured today we only had Mekki and 3 strikers.

The irony was that after a bit of excitement on Thursday, neither signing got any action. Collins an unused sub and Sousa involved in the warm up seeing Dawson curling free kicks into the top corner and a rather chubby looking Buxton hitting spectators.

Thought Mekki flattered to deceive and I feel we need better creative midfield options from the bench.3 strikers isn't ideal from 4 outfield subs. Sousa said yesterday he was fit so surprising not to see him on the bench.

No surprise Nors missed that chance. Should have gone across the keeper. Re penalties it's a bit of a joke now. I'd give Connor a go or revert to Nors or Cook. Nors penalty record was immense last season
But his confidence must be so low at the moment.

Onto Tuesday we go. Miller got a hat trick today and will be a real test for the defence. We cannot be as wasteful as we were today as Dover will in all likelihood get on the scoresheet.

Player
Manager
John King
Regarding the midfield, Wallace was available today but was not selected and Maynard will be back next week. I still don't think we needed another midfielder.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Regarding the midfield, Wallace was available today but was not selected and Maynard will be back next week. I still don't think we needed another midfielder.
Begs the question why we needed three strikers on the bench to add to the three on the pitch. As Sparky implies, if we'd lost another midfielder to injury we'd have been stuffed. I thought Micky had learned his lesson.

Player
Manager
John King
Interesting that in his interview Micky said that Mekki and Collins were about to come on as wide men in a 442 just before we scored.

He also said that in future the penalty taker will be decided by a raffle and someone will be brought out of the crowd to take it.......

Player
Manager
John King
Begs the question why we needed three strikers on the bench to add to the three on the pitch. As Sparky implies, if we'd lost another midfielder to injury we'd have been stuffed. I thought Micky had learned his lesson.

True, although we had Connor Jennings on the pitch who is a-quasi midfielder. So there were three midfielders on the pitch to start with, in effect.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting that in his interview Micky said that Mekki and Collins were about to come on as wide men in a 442 just before we scored.

He also said that in future the penalty taker will be decided by a raffle and someone will be brought out of the crowd to take it.......

Collins is primarily a forward though? Sousa was fit apparently but didn't make the bench, while there are always issues when we can only pick 5, having him as a sub would have made more sense. I agree with BBTC about the unbalanced nature of our subs bench, which has come back to bite us before.

I felt we surrendered ground too easily in the middle of the park, where Hughes looked jaded. We'll have to wait until Maynard is available, as Wallace would be even less effective in stopping this problem, giving his lack of fitness. Wonder who else would have been hooked along with Connor J if we'd gone 442, probably Sutton. I felt Connor was playing fairly well, but got absolutely no protection from the referee and it was wise of Micky to take him off before he got seriously hurt. I thought Mekki, within his limitations did quite well picking up a few free-kicks and giving their defenders something to think about.

Agree with Ian, nobody standing out as MoM. While I could see why one of the sponsors gave it to Jay Harris more puzzled that another nominated Steve McNulty, who was a mix of good and not so good..

drwhoman

One thing that might work in our favour against Dover is that they will have had a long trip for a midweek game. Must be five or six hours from Dover to Prenton by coach? And then they have to go back again! Here is hoping they are still on the bus at the start and we take our chances!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
One thing that might work in our favour against Dover is that they will have had a long trip for a midweek game. Must be five or six hours from Dover to Prenton by coach? And then they have to go back again! Here is hoping they are still on the bus at the start and we take our chances!
True, but I just hope they don't park the bus in front of their goal. ;)

Player
Manager
John King
Collins is primarily a forward though?

He can also play wide judging from MM's comments.

Regarding Dover, I very much doubt they will park the bus. They need a victory to stay in contention for the play-offs and it seems to be all or nothing with them: they either thrash teams or lose heavily.