• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Borehamwood

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A must win game? Perhaps not, but anything other than a win will see a bit more negativity creep into PP ahead of an away trip to Solihull on Monday.

Borehamwood have started the season well sitting 4th after 5 games with 10 points. They have won their last 3 including an impressive 2-1 win against Aldershot last time out. Bruno Andrade looks the danger man with 4 goals already, ably supported by ex rover trialist Shaun Jeffers who Ronnie once said turned down our contract offer because we wouldn't pay his wages and his rent too! Both Andrade and Jeffers have pace and will be dangerous and in confident mood. This will be a tough game. Ex rover Danny Woodards was on the bench in their last game

As for rovers, given MMs comments can only assume we'll be sticking with the 4-3-3 formation but hoping the strikers can finally start scoring. Although MM has said there will be changes, I'm guessing these will be in team selection and not tactics. Up front I expect Nors to keep his place but it'll be interesting with he sticks with Cookie & Connor or brings Alabi or Mangan back in or even Dunn. Buxton had a slight hamstring strain last weekend & Harris I'm assuming is definitely missing so whether that means Duggan will get a game remains to be seen. Will McEvely come back in is another question.

Prediction: another nervy affair which if things don't start well, could see another frustrating afternoon for the SWA. A draw wouldn't be a disaster if we can pick up 3 points on Monday which is a must.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The diamond formation worked well in the first half at eastleigh and I think we will use that system, depending on the extent of Harris's injury. I agree with sparkys comments about borehamwood who will be tough opponents. However, last season they seemed to be a footballing side and if they come here to play an expansive game it could be in our favour. I would stick with cook and norwood up front, no idea if Mellon will. Ironically it was a defeat at home to wood that really put brabin under pressure. I hope there is no repeat, but on form an away win looks likely. If we do pick up three points, the next two look very winnable. I would expect a gate of between 4,500 and 5,000 with less than 50 visitors.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky just confirmed he should have the full squad to choose from, apart from the long term injuries.

Harris & McEveley hadn't trained all week but did today. Hughes hasn't trained all week but is hoping to tomorrow. I wouldn't be too disappointed if Hughes was taken out of the side but wait and see.

Player
Manager
John King
Micky just confirmed he should have the full squad to choose from, apart from the long term injuries.

Harris & McEveley hadn't trained all week but did today. Hughes hasn't trained all week but is hoping to tomorrow. I wouldn't be too disappointed if Hughes was taken out of the side but wait and see.
Apparently Hughes had been playing with an injury all season, which explains his dip in form.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Both of our games v Wood have been problematic. The first was the rude awakening of the 0-2 home defeat after a reasonably encouraging start to the NL campaign under Brabin. We won 2-1 last season, but it was the game where Ben Tollitt did his ligament. Looking back now, think I'd have taken losing that game if we'd had a fit BT for the promotion push. Given the rule of bad things coming in threes, not too hopeful for this one.

As well as those already mentioned, Angelo Balanta is in decent form and with their attacking players and pace, it would be a surprise if Rovers managed to keep a clean sheet. The visitors come into the game with 3 wins on the bounce and will be tough opponents.

Interesting selection issues for the manager. If there were no injuries, might have expected a similar starting xi to Eastleigh, with perhaps McEveley replacing Sutton. If Hughes is out, unsure that we have anyone equiped to play at the base of a diamond, unless one of the defenders can be deployed there. I would like to see an option on the bench with Mangan being replaced with Duggan or Rokka. To answer drwhoman's point, Micky's post-match remarks suggest that Waring isn't match fit and it doesn't make much sense in having an unfit player on the bench, when there are fitter ones available. Would like to see Waring in action when he's fit though, as he looks the part.

Expecting a crowd of around 4.5k and a close game, probably a score draw, though either side could edge it.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just watched the goals from last season. Ironically both crosses into the box which Cookie got on the end of and finished well.....more of the same tomorrow please.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Well, apart from the long-term injuries, we have a full squad for tomorrow's game and despite the good start Boreham have had to the season I think this is one we will win....our luck has to change and for me this is the game to start our climb back up the league.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I do agree that our luck will turn frenchrover and let's hope its tomorrow as it's been a pretty miserable start to the season.

M

Mal

I do agree that our luck will turn frenchrover and let's hope its tomorrow as it's been a pretty miserable start to the season.

Well Dover have now lost 2 and drawn 1 so settling into a pattern. Sutton are bound to fall back once suspensions and injuries kick in. Some of the current top teams are or will be playing each other soon so points can be dropped there. It may have been poor from a results standpoint but I have seen enough good football from Tranmere, much better than a couple of years back, that I am sure they will get back on track. On other sites, some depressives focus on some bad play and never on the good stuff. Two wins will make the world of difference. Still, we will see.

Player
Manager
John King
Interesting starting line up to say the least. Cook, Buxton and Harris benched, duggan and alibi start. Looks like a 532 with norwood and alibi up front. Happy enough with the formation but cook should be starting.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I agree with RLC that Cook should be starting, the other changes, Buxton and Harris, indicate to me there must still be some doubt as to their total fitness after knocks last week. Good to see Duggan gets a chance, just hope he takes it and proves his worth to MM.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Terrible decision to drop Cook, no issue with the formation and agree with French Rover that Harris may have been benched because of injury. With Buxton, it must be down to doubts about his ability to play wing-back. He's been one of our most consistent performers thus far.

Away support has just crept into double figures

M

Mal

Terrible decision to drop Cook, no issue with the formation and agree with French Rover that Harris may have been benched because of injury. With Buxton, it must be down to doubts about his ability to play wing-back. He's been one of our most consistent performers thus far.

Away support has just crept into double figures

Cook hasn't scored since Woking so he isn't the panacea to all goalscoring ills. MM cannot win! He has to try something to get the team gelling. Cook is on the bench so could play a part at some point. Alabi needs to show some of the confidence and ability he appeared to have in pre-season.

Player
Manager
John King
That half demonstrates why we need cook on the pitch. Good for twenty minutes, then poor for remainder of half, unable to retain the ball up front, playing wing backs but no forward able to win a header. Completely with boz on this one.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Cook hasn't scored since Woking so he isn't the panacea to all goalscoring ills. MM cannot win! He has to try something to get the team gelling. Cook is on the bench so could play a part at some point. Alabi needs to show some of the confidence and ability he appeared to have in pre-season.
Cook and Norwood have only had one game together. Neither Norwood or Alabi have scored since the season started, if you want to put it like that.

Very disappointing half. Nearly conceded from a McEveley error in the opening moments. The only effort on target I can recall is a Mitch Duggan daisy-cutter.