• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mackreth didn't get much of a chance under Brabin, although he didn't shine during his limited opportunities with Rovers last season.

In general, agree with RLC re Macclesfield, with the caveat that they have the obnoxious cheat Richard Brodie on their playing staff at present. Though he didn't feature here.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, I still don't think mackreth would have been consistent enough for a promotion chasing side.

Player
Manager
John King
Not a Rovers old boy, but a player we were linked with a while back, Adam Morgan (ex-Liverpool), has just scored a hat trick for Curzon Ashton against Wimbledon in the Cup. Looks an excellent player and could be worth signing if we did not already have 100 forwards !

Wimbledon came from three down with ten minutes to go to win 4-3. Very cruel on Curzon, who played much the better football and look a decent side.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not a Rovers old boy, but a player we were linked with a while back, Adam Morgan (ex-Liverpool), has just scored a hat trick for Curzon Ashton against Wimbledon in the Cup. Looks an excellent player and could be worth signing if we did not already have 100 forwards !

Wimbledon came from three down with ten minutes to go to win 4-3. Very cruel on Curzon, who played much the better football and look a decent side.

Something strange for me that Morgan has dropped so far down looked to have a fairly bright future at one stage not sure what happened to go that far down for a game

drwhoman

I think the pain of not making it at the top level affects some guys. They lack resilience in adversity. Look at any top club or even international youth team and you wonder -!what happened to him? Morgan will probably get a better gig after this. He needs to take advantage.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Some people never change..

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I've seen both yellow cards. He had to go. The first one was frustration because a Rangers player was fouled and left on the ground as Aberdeen played on so Clint took retribution and could have had a red as he caught the lad in the head !

He's obviously mellowing!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sorry Ian, maybe should get a sarcasm alert emoji

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Understood :p

drwhoman

The Wellington Phoenix (NZ) coach has resigned . Assistant Coach Chris Greenacre is in the chair until a replacement is appointed. Maybe if he wins a few games.......

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nice to hear Chris Greenacre is still doing ok in New Zealand.

Not nice to hear though that John Achterberg is being criticised by lots of kopites for the reds goalkeeping problems. Both last season with Mignolet and now with Karius.

Both keepers in my opinion simply not up to it, no matter how the flying dutchman may improve them. If the reds want to win the league they need a keeper along the lines of Lloris, Courtois, Cech, De Gea etc - I reckon they should go and sign someone like Jack Butland from Stoke (but stay away from Scotty Davies!)

Player
Manager
John King
Makes me laugh every time i hear a phone in with some Liverpool fan complaining that 'achterberg only played for Tranmere'. Setting aside the fact he played many high profile games against top level teams, since when did coaching ability correlate with success in a playing career ? By that logic they had better get rid of klopp, who only played in the lower divisions in Germany !

drwhoman

Klopp is very supportive of him whereas other Rodgers appointees got a P45. He has no influence on transfer policy and has to work with what he is given. Karius was well regarded in Germany. See how he goes. Ironic that Grobelaar has been weighing in. He had his issues. Probably Ray Clemence would be my choice as the best Pool goalkeeper of the last 50 years. At Tranmere ? Maybe Jimmy Cumbes although Achterberg and Nixon would run him close.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Agree drwhoman that Jimmy Cumbes would probably shade it as the best keeper we have had in my time of watching Rovers. We have been very fortunate in having a whole string of really very good 'goalies' but Jimmy was special with his command of the area catching cleanly and hardly ever punching the ball away. Some of his full length saves were remarkable and he was really a class act.

Player
Manager
John King
Eric Nixon was by far the best in my time as a supporter, achterburg, coyne and perhaps murphy next best.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's got to be Cumbes or Nixon. Arguably, Eric played his best at Tranmere while Jimmy reached his peak at Aston Villa. It would be difficult to compare their performances while with Rovers, as Nixon played most of his games in tier two while Cumbes played mainly in tier four.

Jimmy Cumbes is quite an interesting sportsman. He was a seam bowler during the close season, playing for three counties. He ended up as chief executive of Lancashire CCC and retired a few years ago.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Don't forget Steve Wilson lol ! 12 appearances in 05/06 season - I always remember he looked like a sudden gust of wind could blow him over!