• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Plenty on show today as Dave Challinors AFC Fylde side lost 3-2 at home to Stockport in national league North.

Stockports first goal saw Odejayi find jake kirby who was brought done in the box. Bell-Baggie converted from 12 yards.

The winning goal came in the 5th minute of injury time with Kirby scoring.

Andy Robinson and Gareth Roberts also in the Stockport squad.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think Kirby is going to make it here long term but it is good to see him starting well at Stockport.

After years of turmoil Stockport seem to be turning things round and I hope they go up this season. That said, having yet another former league club in the National League would make our task even more difficult (assuming we are still down here).

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Shrewsbury are in the last 16 of the cup. Akpa-Akpro scored, Mangan and James Wallace also featured.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mangan played the 90 minutes again and set up JLAA with a lovely cross.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some ex players scoring tonight:
Ryan Lowe
Lucas Akins
Shamir Fenelon
Nathan Blissett (2)
Kayodi Odejayi

Plus Adam Dawson was in line for his debut having signed for Nuneaton until the end of the season. Couldn't sign for another national league club

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Now......we are really talking old boys.
Ian Griffiths, back in 80s, Bryan Hamilton's era. Only one side of ground open.
"BIFFO" to us old arses.
Played in Japan after football league and while he was there took interest in Chinese medicine, namely acupuncture.
What a man. He's got a local clinic and he's sorted my back and sciatica a few times!
Anyone else remember him or used him?

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Godwin Antwi now playing second tier footie in Malaysia...possible G.B. recruit?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I see that our former manager, Brian Little, has joined the board of Aston Villa. Amazing! Somebody who knows about football getting on the board! I just hope they don't make him manager!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I see that our former manager, Brian Little, has joined the board of Aston Villa. Amazing! Somebody who knows about football getting on the board! I just hope they don't make him manager!
I wouldn't put it past them!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
John McGreal appointed new manager of Colchester who have been relegated to L2.

He took their under 18s to a league and cup double so good luck to him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some rovers old boys getting promotions this season and good luck to them:

Ben Gibson at Middlesboro
Max Power at Wigan
Mark McChrystal at Bristol Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I see Marlon Jackson has got himself a 1 year deal at Newport. If that's the calibre of their recruits, must be favourites for the drop.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What do you think of this "team" of ex-TRFC players?

Owain fon Williams, David Raven, Carl Tremarco (all Inverness CT), Danny Holmes (ex Newport Co), Mark McChrystal (Bristol R), Robbie Weir (Leyton O), Joss Labadie (Newport Co), Adam McGurk (Cambridge U), Mike Jones (Carlisle U), Terry Gornell (Accrington S) and Kevin Ellison (Morecambe).

All were allowed to leave Rovers on free transfers and all are playing at a higher level than the National League. Are they all so much better players than they were with us or is it just that we have dropped so far? At the time, I thought some were very unlucky to be released, but I think mainly it brings home to me just how much poorer today's team is compared with three or four years ago.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
You could add Will Vaulks to the list, although he never got a chance under Ronnie, but having played north of the border, now has a deal at Rotherham. Surprised Danny Holmes hasn't got himself fixed up somewhere, having turned down a new contract at Newport. While I'd agree with BBTC that in general that list shows how far we've fallen, there are one or two close calls. Not much to chose between OFWand Scott Davies, while I'd argue McNulty edges the battle of the Macs.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Reading BBTC's list, there are some reasonable players there but no world beaters. I tend to agree with Boz that the best players from the current squad would outperform several of those in the list and we have good quality for a club at our level. If we do return to the Football League under Palios, I am sure we will attract better players than we did in the final years under PJ.