• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers Eye Irish U21 Ace???

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Found this on the Eat Sleep Sport website...

Rovers eye Irish Under-21 ace Mon, Feb 27 2006 15:37Tranmere have joined the race to sign UCD midfielder Gary Dicker who looks set to leave the Irish League club in the summer.It looks like Dicker is going to have a bright future ahead of him in English football with Rovers, along with Premiership side Charlton Athletic, amongst the clubs chasing him.

The 21-year-old has appeared in three games for the Republic of Ireland at Under-21 level, in which he scored a goal and captained the side to a victory against Finland. With Dicker still under contract to UCD until the end of the year, any team wishing to purchase the midfielder would have to stump up a fee to UCD as compensation for his development.
Sounds interesting although I doubt we'd get him. It would be good if we did.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well it's certainly something to keep an eye on. What bothers me slightly is the talk of handing over compensation for him, when finances aren't at their greatest right now. If clubs like Charlton are chasing him, it would be difficult competition. On a side note, wasn't Billy Woods once a highly rated Irishman? :wink:

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
Aye, I heard about this too. Worth keeping an eye out for.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Ian said:
On a side note, wasn't Billy Woods once a highly rated Irishman? :wink:

Ha ha, he was. He started at Manchester United over this side of the river before joining us! I only saw him twice and thought he looked half decent, scored a screamer against Man U reserves at Old Trafford then made a solid first team debut at Vale. Where is he now??? :roll:

DixieDean

SCooperSomersaults said:
Where is he now??? :roll:

Billy Woods is a car salesman for Keary's in Ireland.

Plays for Irish part-timers, Cork City.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
Does he? Well I remember Billy Woods well. lol.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
DixieDean said:
What's slightly disturbing about this is that I don't think you're joking. :-o

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

I would welcome new players to the club with great quality but I feel if Charlton come in for him 1st we have no chance of getting him

Player
Morrisey
Well it depends If he wants to go and play in the reserves at Charlton week in week out of if he wants regular 1st team footy at Tranmere!

DixieDean

Ian said:
What's slightly disturbing about this is that I don't think you're joking. :-o

it's no joke mate.... it's sad... but it's no joke.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I think it depends... If he is a creative midfielder then i'd certainly want him in our team but if he's another defensive midfielder then I probably wouldn't. He has scored a goal for U21's and has only had 3 appearances. Also captained then so must be highly thought of. I reckon he'd be better than Billy Woods! :lol:

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

If he's quality and If we offered a descent contract here if feel he might come here but I feel football playrs are money grabbers nower days and if he gets offered a good contrcat from Charlton he'll go there but im not sayin that all football players are money grabbers look at the pay cut McAteer took to come to Rovers because he wanted to be a coach

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
DixieDean said:

Plays for Irish part-timers, Cork City.

I'd like to point out that all Irish football teams are part time. There is no professional league in Ireland. There isn't the money.

DixieDean

i mentioned they were part-timers to avoid any confusion about him having 2 jobs. Believe me, some people on here WOULD have got confused....