• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 3 Stevenage 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought the first half today was the best we have played at home in months. The front four caused havoc and we could have had six by half time. Yes, they were atrocious defensively, but we looked far brighter and more inventive than we have done for weeks. Zoum was outstanding and Akpro and Sidibe showed the first signs of developing a genuine partnership. Just a pity Jean Louis could not have put away one of his several chances.

The only negatives were the injuries to Zoum and Akpro, which hopefully are not serious and, for me anyway, the performance of Black at left back; I thought he struggled to cope with Akins all game and got caught wrong side for the free kick they scored from. If you struggle with Lucas, you will find it tough against good players.

Man of the match was Zoum, closely followed by the two centre halves who were outstanding, Gibson bringing real assurance at the back.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Zoom was cramp and Akpro got a kick so hopefully both should be ok for friday.

We certainly looked a threat going forward and should have had a lot more goals than we did but we didnt look very secure at the back and they had numerous chances as well.

All told a good and welcome 3 points sets us up for the run in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought the first half today was the best we have played at home in months.
Couldn't agree more. Shame we couldn't stick a few more past them in the first half just for GD.

Both sides missed some really good chances. Stevenage were shaky at the back and terrible in front of goal. Black did stand out like a sore thumb but I thought he looked a little rusty. He was slow on the turn and struggled for pace. I don't think he's as bad as that, but luckily he was only against Akins. ABB wasn't great either.

Second half was a little disappointing as a spectacle. For most of it, we pushed back and were a little more negative moving forward and let them play a bit more.

But it was a welcome three points and for all the doom and gloom recently, I hope this highlights what a close league this is and one or two wins and you are back in the mix. Plenty of drama yet to come.

1 point from 2nd. Roll on Friday!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Frustrating that the weather in Yorkshire prevented my attendance, but pleased that the snow-clearing efforts of the fans were rewarded. We needed this win, although I'd expect some changes to the line-up for the Blades game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Frustrating that the weather in Yorkshire prevented my attendance, but pleased that the snow-clearing efforts of the fans were rewarded. We needed this win, although I'd expect some changes to the line-up for the Blades game.

Unless we have more injuries i think it will probably ne the same team as dony see who will come in as still no robbo & mcgurk only be a sub

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Given what's been said about Black, Zoum reverting to left-back and O'Halloran(or McGurk, if fit out left?). Or Gibson at left-back and Goodison in central defence. Think I'd prefer the former option.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I wouldn't change anything. Yes, Black was a bit sluggish but he wasn't terrible. He might have a great game on Fri.

Plus, I wouldn't move Zoom. He was great linking up with the front two and caused problems.

Don't change a winning team!

Player
Goodison
Great result although I wasn't able to watch the game on TV, so I am still yet to watch Tranmere win a game on TV](*,)

I think Gibson is a future England centre back, he's a class act. In many ways he reminds me of Goodison - perhaps not as laid back (could anyone be as laid back?!), but similar in composure, positional sense and influence on the rest of the back four.

Regarding to play or not play Black, I would play Black as not playing him would probably see Gibson move to left back as we don't have a left winger to play instead of Zoom - we need Gibson in the middle. A more imaginative solution would be to put Zoom at left back and Goodison on the left wing...

However from what I've seen of Sheffield United they seem to lack pace so Zoom and Bell-Baggie wide would be quite sensible.

You should only change a winning team if it improves the team, or changes the team in such a way that it better exploits your next opponents weaknesses, if never changing a winning team worked - lots of teams would win all the time!

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Decent performance, although Stevenage were poorer than I expected. Good call for Zoum for MOM.

Thought we played well first half and credit to Power he was very busy and always put his foot on the ball and made good use. However, he did look tired second half and I don't think we got as close to them in the second half and game them a bit more room. In first half we were catching them on the ball - didn't really happen second half save for Ash stepping out a few times and mugging them a couple of times.

I think this is probably best available eleven, but I think at times central midfield may need a hand............. not sure where from. Don't like the idea of Goodi being pushed up as discussed previously, but maybe bring him in alongside Gibson and push Ash into anchor midfield role (not his best position, but more confident now).....only to sure things up when under cosh.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Surprised more of you aren't singing the praises of our central midfield tbh

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think there is no way the team will be changed for Friday. Zoum was sensational on the left wing and I agree that it is worth taking the relative gamble that Black is more solid next time.

From what I saw of Sheff Utd in December they do indeed lack pace at the back, so it will be interesting to see how they cope with our revitalised front four. The difficult thing will be maintaining the kind of tempo and intensity we showed yesterday against much better opposition; Sheff Utd may be far more adept at playing the game at their own pace.