• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 3, Leyton Orient 1

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Felt that it was a well deserved result, lots of effort shown, and we do seem to be able to score goals at last too! Defence did ok, though to be honest they weren't tested all THAT much, roll on Shrewsbury, hopefully RM doesnt get haunted with his awful away records this time round, and we carry on this winning streak. =D> Nothing like a win in the summer at PP, though still a long way to go...

Sat in Family paddock, so couldnt see if the penno was deserved or not by them?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Good win, good performance. Very good goals.

Although Ash had a few shaky moments, thought we defended well on the whole. I think we should look into keeping Gibson for longer if possible. Zoum/Robbo looks like a deadly combo down the left. First half AA was atrocious, second half 2 goals, not sure what to make of him yet. Thompson looked a bit meh to me as well but reserving judgement.

Wallace MOTM despite flashes of over-elaborate decision making.

We need to cut out that nonsense at the end of games though. Picked up stupid bookings and got into silly situations (most notably the penalty) when we should have been cruising to a stress-free victory. Robbo in particular should know better.

Player
Nixon
TRFC vs Leyton O.

Some nice moves from a game that started well but by 20mins was a bit slow.
Most of the game played in there half.

OFW, World class save in the 1st half, commanding is area better - 7

Zoom, Great goal,always a threat going forward,done a job at the back -7

Gibson, Nervous at the start, but looks a decent player - 6

Taylor, Commanding and very solid, great talker too - 7

Holmes, Solid with some nice runs, great 1st half shot - 6

Robinson, Great performance causing mayhem across there defence -8

Palmer, nice first game did go missing a few times tho - 6

WALLACE, Runs/shots/tackles/blocks he was fab - 9

Thompson, very quiet but did a job defo needs to improve -5

Akpa Akpro, worked hard 2 goals,the 2nd being a stormer -8

Cassidy, Doesnt look as sharp as last year,but still has class - 7

3 goals scored and OFW didnt have a great deal to do, spoke to a few of there fans after the game about Chorley who came on as a sub and too quote
"we hate him he is sh+t and causes murder in the dressing room,we would drive him to Tranmere if he wanted to come back here"

Maybe thats why he doesnt get many games, and apparently is one of there highest paid players.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A comfortable and comprehensive victory against a pretty woeful Orient side who look relegation candidates already. The real positive for me is that I think we can play better, yet we looked in control for the majority of the game.

Although we had the lion's share of the possession in the first half, I thought the tempo was a bit slow at times (probably due to the heat) which played into Orient's stifling tactics with their five in midfield, but when we upped the pace we looked dangerous, as for the first goal which was superbly set up by Cassidy.

We look far more dangerous in attack than we did for much of last season: Akpro came here with an apparently poor goals to games ratio (although he did score fifteen the season before last I think) yet it is difficult to imagine Enoch or Tiryaki scoring the two goals he did today; Cassidy we know can be prolific at this level. We also have much more pace in the side this season, and that was evident in the way we counter attacked at times.

Individually, other than Akpro I thought Wallace and Taylor had very impressive games. Robinson I thought was slightly below his best, certainly in the first half, with Orient doubling up on him most of the time. Palmer was impressive in his ball retention, while Thompson worked hard defensively but has to be prepared to go at the full back more often.

Fon Williams pulled off a great save in the first half at 1-0, but other than that was barely tested with Orient seriously lacking punch up front.

The crowd was decent, the atmosphere good, and in all it was a great afternoon.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Can't really argue with that for a first performance of the season. It was good to see the attacking intent from the word go and with some pace in the side, we looked fairly dangerous throughout. Individually I though Akpa Apro didn't look remotely like scoring in the first half but then took his two goals very well in the second, Cassidy tried hard without really getting a chance (we need to get the ball to him in the box for goals), Thompson solid but unspectacular.
Wallace was very very good and if he plays a whole season like that probably won't be around for another. As someone else said, Robbo and Zoum look like they could be a good combination.
At the back I felt that Taylor and Gibson both did well, Taylor was clearly taking charge of the back four.
Weather was good and so was the atmosphere in general. Ref tried to ruin it towards the end with some odd decisions (the penalty and failing to red car one of their lads for a two footed challenge) but three points is always a good start.

HOWEVER... Leyton Orient are a poor side and will struggle this season so lets not get too excited yet.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
What odds Zoum getting our first goal of the season, I wonder. Such a cool finish, after being well set up by Cassidy. Akpa Akpro also scored with a great curler from the edge of the area, after some wonderful passing in the build-up. He got the third, less spectacular. Orient got a late, somewhat dodgy penalty from my viewpoint, but there was enough opportunity to clear the danger.

I think we should be wary about going OTT in our praise; Orient were an awkward side to play, because they were physically big,but didn't threaten us much. Apparently they only had 25% possession. For example Wallace and Gibson had a few glitches early on, but soon got into the groove, while Robinson tired after a decent start.

MoM; Zoum shades it because of the goal, but Ash played very well.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
What odds Zoum getting our first goal of the season, I wonder. Such a cool finish, after being well set up by Akpa Akpro.

swear it was cassidy

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Apologies, I've corrected. No idea why I attributed the assist to AA, as it happened right in front of me and was a great set up by Jake.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A pretty good performance all round and a comfortable and well deserved win. JLAA had looked fairly poor in the first half being unable to control the ball on several occassions but then what a goal which clearly lifted him.

A good start to the season but two tricky away games at carlisle & shrewsbury up next.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
MoM; Zoum shades it because of the goal, but Ash played very well.

I thought it was noticeable yesterday that Ash was much more composed on the ball, and rarely looked to hoof it. This could be down to his general improvement, but may also be because Palmer and Wallace are comfortable receiving the ball from the centre backs, which was not always the case with Welsh.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It was certainly deserved as we were clearly the better side. The goals were well taken and it's refreshing to see three on the scoresheet. I would like to echo SonkORLYs comments about the silliness towards the end of the game. Absolutely no need for it.

Regarding the players, defence looked great and Gibson solid. The good news was that we didnt miss Goodison. Certainly a good sign if planning a team for the future.

Wallace was excellent in the middle and is superb at regaining possession. Big player for us. Also excited about the attacking options. Thought Robinson played a great game and like I've said before, the team rarely have a stinker when he's on his game.

Great start to the season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought it was noticeable yesterday that Ash was much more composed on the ball, and rarely looked to hoof it. This could be down to his general improvement, but may also be because Palmer and Wallace are comfortable receiving the ball from the centre backs, which was not always the case with Welsh.
Good point. I think he's certainly improved, but it was nice to see football without the hoof too. These players are better than that like you pointed out.