• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 2 Exeter 0

DIW

Player
Goodison
Blimey, 7.30pm after our 4th win since Ronnie came back and no match report! Well, it was a good workmanlike performance from Rovers I though against a side who never really threatened apart from one tremendous volley which smacked off the bar I think.

Great finishes for both goals, Joss played well when he came on, ridiculous booking though and Cassidy show a really predators finish. Akins I thought worked hard up and down the right and Robbo looked dangerous. Also felt that Ash Taylor had an excellent game at CM.

So, 50 points nearly there - who would have thought it? And only 10 points off the playoffs. A strong start to the season and a strong finish - if only the middle part hadn't been so utterly dire.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Also felt that Ash Taylor had an excellent game at CM.

Wait, what?

Agree with the rest. Another good showing. Love Ronnie.

DIW

Player
Goodison
You don't agree? Personally thought he played well while it wasn't one of Goodies better days.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Our most laboured performance under Ronnie, but still a thoroughly deserved victory against a pretty woeful Exeter side. Basically, I thought we looked knackered, the front players in particular, and I think our all-action displays away from home in the last week caught up with us today. That said, we still played a lot of good football and created the better chances.

Danny Holmes was man of the match for me, outstanding again at right back, with both centre backs also excellent. A fantastic finish from Cassidy with textbook technique: I think Wolves might want him back sooner rather than later.

Joss did well when he came on, and showed that he is our best player shooting from distance, but I am not sure he has the maturity and discipline to play the Wallace role in a two man midfield week in, week out.

Unbelievable that we are up to twelfth place. Just goes to show that we have been fed too much negative talk in recent months about a relegation battle being 'inevitable' and 18th position being a great achievement.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
You don't agree? Personally thought he played well while it wasn't one of Goodies better days.

Yeah just confused as to why you thought he was CM, which (as far as I'm aware, at least) is usually used as a term to refer to a central midfielder.

I thought the whole defence was fine. First half was very good in parts. Was impressed that Ronnie had the bottle to take off Enoch at half time for a kid.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Er yeah that was dozy. I am fully aware that he was playing CB for the entire match. :oops:

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Was impressed that Ronnie had the bottle to take off Enoch at half time for a kid.

I agree with this. I think his substitutions in most games have been pretty bold and effective. Zoum did really well again when he came on.

It was good to see an extra 3-400 on the gate today, which suggests that some of the stay-aways are being tempted back to PP.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A tgoroughly deserved win and really we should have had the game won e lot earlier than we did.

Enoch was awful in the first half and deserved to be taken off, Brunt puts in a lot of effort but doesnt do that much were as Cassidy has really good movement and to me lookds a star in the making. Labadie is a talented player but clearly lacking in the brains department.

drwhoman

EXETER

Great win! Ronnie has certainly worked a miracle. When will PJ announce his longer term appointment? The sooner he does the better so planning can start for next season. I can see a few players saying goodbye- Kay for example but we need to kick on. A goalscorer is a top priority although McGurk might flourish in a more positive set up. I am not suggesting we resign him but I see Craig Curran has gone to Morecambe on loan. I agree with the comments about Cassidy - his record suggests he has a goalscorers instinct. I can only think that Wolves are not wanting to rush him despite the fact that they struggle to score goals.

Player
Nixon
Another win, another 3 points.

We should have killed the game in the 1st half, did Brunt miss and open goal !!!! was the far end from where I was sitting.

Enoch--
His 1st touch was so bad that his 2nd touch was usually a header!!, but when on form he is awesome.

Brunt--
Defo lacking in confidence, must be gutted that jake has scored 2 in 2

Atkins--
Still not convinced by this guy, priority for a winger is to put crosses in, which he didnt do many of, yes he works hard, but by 65-70mins, he was on his knees.

Goody/Taylor--
Great game up against a busy front line.

Welsh--
Very good and kept busy all game,defo getting better in a 4/4/2

Wallace--
One great run, still doest stand head and shoulders above the rest, I reckon we could sign him with in a year. Wont make it at EFC who have 10 midfielders and no money. (did we miss him when he went off??)

Holmes--
Solid and impoving every game (Kay can go now)

Davey Buc--
Great little player, put a right good shift in, for a player who was only brought he as a utility cover player.

Robbo--
The driving force of the team at the mo, causes mayhem of oppositions, glad he is getting into form, even if he is carrying a knock.

Williams--
Prob the quietest keeper ever to grace Prenton Park, needs to be far more vocal to scare forwards off when a cross comes in.
But again a solid performance.

all in all a great win, I know they werent 'all that' , but a win was needed as most other teams will hump them.

Bury away next is also very winable!

on another point, if Rochdale go down, I reckon there forward Akpa Akrpo (spelling), would be a nice signing

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
U/RM

PLD W D L -- F A
6 --- 4 2 O --10 3

U/LP

PLD W D L -- F A
6 --- 0 3 3 -- 3 6

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Whats the difference ,Ronnie has let the lads have a go ,les did,nt. have the know how...

2 very bad appointments by PJ..(Les & JB )

What will be his next move...?

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Whats the difference ,Ronnie has let the lads have a go ,les did,nt. have the know how...

If its not to retain ronnie, then the man really is a fool

DIW

Player
Goodison

I think I saw you at the match yesterday. About 4 foot five, no facial hair, Akins on the back of your shirt. Must have been you.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
I think I saw you at the match yesterday. About 4 foot five, no facial hair, Akins on the back of your shirt. Must have been you.

No i am Six foot and don,t suffer fools gladly !

We would have won easy yesterday (5-1) but the players tired very quickly in the mid day sun...

still enough in the tank tho... to beat a team of conference standard imo !

drwhoman

LES

Hi guys, lets have a little balance re Les. No one wanted the job after Moe and Curly left the place in such a mess. No defence and too many midfielders just to mention one minor issue. Les extracted us from almost certain relegation. Getting Labadie on loan was the catalyst even if the player has since demonstrated that he has self discipline issues. Where Les failed was that he was unable to move from a negative defensive type mode to a more adventurous but still controlled approach. Ronnie's greater experience in this regard is clear. The fact that he has done what he has done with Les' players plus some decent young loanees speaks volumes.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Hi guys, lets have a little balance re Les. No one wanted the job after Moe and Curly left the place in such a mess. No defence and too many midfielders just to mention one minor issue. Les extracted us from almost certain relegation. Getting Labadie on loan was the catalyst even if the player has since demonstrated that he has self discipline issues. Where Les failed was that he was unable to move from a negative defensive type mode to a more adventurous but still controlled approach. Ronnie's greater experience in this regard is clear. The fact that he has done what he has done with Les' players plus some decent young loanees speaks volumes.

I don't think you are saying anything new, or anything that people don't agree with here.

What's with the balance comment - looking back through the thread few people are digging at Les.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Our most laboured performance under Ronnie
It was certainly our most laboured performance since Ronnie took charge. Silly thing to say after a 2-0 win, but I was a little bit disappointed overall. There was something missing in the first half, players just weren't at their best, not that the opposition were any better. The forced change with Labadie coming on was a blessing in disguise as he made a difference.

Whether is was a combination of the weather and numerous games taking their toll, I dunno, but it dampened the crowd as well, and the atmosphere was also poor. Good move by Ronnie to replace Enoch, he had a terrible first half.

I was also disappointed with the negativity in the second for large periods were we pushed everyone behind the ball and invited Exeter onto us. Very dangerous thing to do when you are only 1-goal up.

On a positive note, Zoum was great again when he came on, Taylor seems to be getting better and better and the two full backs were excellent. Cassidy certainly seems to know where the goal is. Looks promising.

I guess my expectations have changed considerably since Ronnie took over but I shouldn't be too hard on the lads. Importantly, we are scoring goals and the lads aren't afraid of having a go. Another three points and the superb run of form continues. =D>

drwhoman

LES

DIW - I was not implying that everyone has been having a go at Les. As you agree one or two people have been and my comments were essentially directed at them. Anyway, it is all history now. Onwards and upwards for the Rovers!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
It was certainly our most laboured performance since Ronnie took charge. Silly thing to say after a 2-0 win, but I was a little bit disappointed overall. There was something missing in the first half, players just weren't at their best, not that the opposition were any better. The forced change with Labadie coming on was a blessing in disguise as he made a difference.

Whether is was a combination of the weather and numerous games taking their toll, I dunno, but it dampened the crowd as well, and the atmosphere was also poor. Good move by Ronnie to replace Enoch, he had a terrible first half.

I was also disappointed with the negativity in the second for large periods were we pushed everyone behind the ball and invited Exeter onto us. Very dangerous thing to do when you are only 1-goal up.

mate, we won 2-0, crack a smile