• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers 2 Crawley 0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
You really are impossible to please sometimes. All last week you were complaining that we hadn't signed a striker to replace Cassidy, now you're bemoaning the fact that Moore has publicly confirmed that he wants a striker.

I rate Stockton but he's 18 and has scored 2 goals in his career. People need to lay off a bit.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your argument [-X

Firstly, I mentioned Cassidy only a few times in the lack of replacement context. Initially to say that he needed replacing and then to state that Amoo didn't seem to have the credentials to be a main striker. Those remarks were made at a time, when it looked like JLAA's return date had been put back.

Stockton has scored 2 league and 3 Cup goals in his short career. Prior to Saturday, Amoo had scored 6 goals in his 3 year longer career. I'm quite happy that he's joined us, but on their history to date, Stockton looks the better bet as a striker.

Given Akpa Akpro is now fit and O'Halloran is with us and probably required to play until the end of the month, with Amoo ahead of Stockton in Ronnie's striking pecking order, is another striker the main priority now, particularly if we're sticking with 4-4-2?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In fairness, when O'Halloran goes back at the end of the month we will only have three strikers, one of whom is an 18 year old who has played only a handful of games and another, as you point out, a converted winger. The only established striker is returning from long term injury. So we are probably not quite as flush as it seems at the moment. I think it is slightly unfair to quote Amoo's scoring stats as in the majority of those games he will have been playing out wide.

Being top of the league at this stage is an exceptional situation for the club, and I would guess Ronnie's attitude is 'the more bodies the better'. I would imagine that Sheff Utd or MK Dons would still be looking to add up front if they had similar squad numbers as us.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
My point about Amoo's stats is that they do not suggest a prolific scorer. There are wingers who get into double figures for a season, despite playing out wide. David's career record to date doesn't suggest that, hence I remain puzzled as to why Ronnie preferred him to lead the line on Saturday.

I take your point about numbers up front and if we can get a decent target man in, then fine. I reckon MKD and Sheffield United might also in our position be thinking that Daniels is an accident waiting to happen or (to use your example) Max Power goes missing and Danny Harrison is mediocre (my example) and be thinking about strengthening the central defence and midfield too. We aren't as financially well-endowed as those clubs, so it comes down to priorities.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I reckon MKD and Sheffield United might also in our position be thinking that Daniels is an accident waiting to happen or (to use your example) Max Power goes missing and Danny Harrison is mediocre (my example) and be thinking about strengthening the central defence and midfield too. We aren't as financially well-endowed as those clubs, so it comes down to priorities.

RM is also looking for a midfielder so I think he is aware of our weakness in that area. I agree with you that Daniels is not entirely convincing, and if Gibson does not return this may be an area to look at.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think it's too early to assess Amoo's ability. He's played a handful of games for each club he's been at.

We'll just have to hope he cuts the mustard. At least he can play in a variety of positions.

The club will know more about Stockton as he's been at the club longer and progressed through the ranks. Maybe his time will come, but its not now.

Back to the game, it was nice to have some decent options on the bench with JLAA and ABB.

Sent via Tapatalk HD

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I was surprised by Amoo in that he led the line fairly well and won a few headers.

But I agree that although still early days, he does not look a true centre forward in the sense that I don't think he will score many goals - but a good addition to the squad with pace and versatility.

He reminds me a bit of the Ajax and former Liverpool dutchman Ryan Babel. Not a typical out and out winger but not really a typical front man either - sort of in between.

However he did well playing up top on Sat so no need to change it yet. Wouldnt surprise me tho if at Coventry we go one man up top (JLAA) with Amoo wide and Robbo tucked in behind the front man.