• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Ronnie Moore, the areas for concern

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With about a third of the season gone, we're in a mid-table slot. While that's a definite improvement on last season, Rovers do seem to be in something of a slump at present, with no signs of us pulling out of it just yet. It does seem that fans both on this site and elsewhere are prepared to cut Ronnie a lot more slack than some previous managers were allowed, because of his Tranmere history. Set out below are some of the failings of Ronnie's start to the job.

The squad. It was mainly RMs choice to start afresh. Due to existing contracts, we were very well equiped in terms of the number of central midfielders. John Mullin offered something different in terms of link up play, but can't see much about McLaren's game that Harrison, Jennings & McAteer can't do. While Mclaren's been ok, wouldn't it have made more sense to bring in an extra attacker? Or even offered Facey a new deal?
The other thing about having a small squad is there's a requirement to have versatile players. We're sadly lacking a Tyrone Loran or Gary Jones type, who can do a good job in more than one position.

The tactics. When things are going wrong, RM doesn't seem capable of changing things. The answer to going 2 down at home to Port Vale seemed to be to carry on doing the same as before, only try harder. There was too much long-ball that night and it didn't work. Gather yesterday we started with just Chris Greenacre up front, which, given he's in no way a target man, is puzzling.
Also, there seems a real reluctance to use the subs. Even if the formation of the side isn't altered, a fresh pair of legs can sometimes help to maintain the pressure.

Handling of players. All managers have favourites and RM is no exception. However it does seem very hard for the younger players to get a look-in. Fine when you're strolling every game, less so in the current slump. Steve Jennings(who's not one of my favourites) does really well at Bury, yet not even on the bench at Carlisle.

By way of balance, should add that certainly at home the quality of football is much better than last season. However, of the sides I've seen this season, only Forest come far ahead of us, mainly due to strength in depth. It's frustrating when we're not making the most of our opportunities to go up the League.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
The tactics. When things are going wrong, RM doesn't seem capable of changing things. The answer to going 2 down at home to Port Vale seemed to be to carry on doing the same as before, only try harder.
I felt we didn't do a lot wrong against Vale, but for whatever reason we struggled to finish off the chances we had, while they did capitalise on the chances they had. And I can't really complain when the manager and the players are trying harder! That is often the answer, so you can't fault that approach, especially if you have faith in the system.

Also, there seems a real reluctance to use the subs. Even if the formation of the side isn't altered, a fresh pair of legs can sometimes help to maintain the pressure.
It's easy to understand Ronnie's outlook being to ensure all the players are capabable and comfortable playing a full 90 minutes week in, week out - and there's no doubt in my mind that level of fitness will come in particularly handy as the season progresses. However I do agree fully that there have been times when the game is screaming out for the new, fresh legs and it's perplexing when he doesn't bring someone on.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
While Mclaren's been ok, wouldn't it have made more sense to bring in an extra attacker? Or even offered Facey a new deal?

I think we're really missing Facey this season, we don't have anyone that can hold the ball up and provide a decent link between midfield and attack anymore. Gutted when he left.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
I don't know how many of you read the Daily Post, but today's Tranmere related article was spot on. It's Ronnie Moore talking about how Shuker clearly has real talent but doesn't get his head up enough and make the killer ball across the box that's needed.

If you don't read the Post or can't, based on where your living, then you can visit the icliverpool site and find the article headed "Moore has advice for crowd pleaser Shuker" and read both pages. It's a real gem of an article.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't have any issue with the views expressed by RM in the article. However both Shuker & Greenacre who have been singled out for constructive criticism in this way by the manager fall into the "good but could do better" category. I'd be very interested in the manager's views on some of the individuals whose performances have been below par recently. Sheriff and Ellison spring to mind.