• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Reasons to be cheerful?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It may still be too early to predict how the season will finish, but if you are looking for stats to give us hope, here are a few. They are all in contrast to last season.

1. Our home record, in terms of points dropped, is the best in the league. We have more home games left than any of our rivals except Dag & Red.
2. We have only lost to good teams. Six of our defeats have been to sides currently in the top nine. The other was to Sutton United, who are obviously no mugs.
3. Although our record against our promotion rivals is much worse than last season, we have only three games left against teams in the top six and two of those are at home.
4. After mid-March, the highest-placed team we play is Aldershot Town.
5. At the current rate, if we maintain the average form over the whole season, we will get about 89 points, usually enough to secure the championship.
6. Finishing on 89 points will not be enough for automatic promotion if Lincoln City carry on at the present rate. However, Lincoln's run-in is tougher than ours and they have the distraction of the FA Cup.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe they should pin this up in the dressing room :cool:

I think this basically says we have to finish top and forget about the playoffs.

With the competition for places I do think we'll finish the season stronger. We just have to hope Lincoln stutter a little and with their run in and cup distraction there is hope!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It may still be too early to predict how the season will finish, but if you are looking for stats to give us hope, here are a few. They are all in contrast to last season.

1. Our home record, in terms of points dropped, is the best in the league. We have more home games left than any of our rivals except Dag & Red.
2. We have only lost to good teams. Six of our defeats have been to sides currently in the top nine. The other was to Sutton United, who are obviously no mugs.
3. Although our record against our promotion rivals is much worse than last season, we have only three games left against teams in the top six and two of those are at home.
4. After mid-March, the highest-placed team we play is Aldershot Town.
5. At the current rate, if we maintain the average form over the whole season, we will get about 89 points, usually enough to secure the championship.
6. Finishing on 89 points will not be enough for automatic promotion if Lincoln City carry on at the present rate. However, Lincoln's run-in is tougher than ours and they have the distraction of the FA Cup.
Excellent post.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Good bit of research BBTC.
Sandgrounders beating Lincoln last day of the season to stay up and handing us the title would be some finale.
Lincoln must have ridden their luck by now. Surely a blip is due? Hopefully we're just over ours.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Very risky. If after a few years Mr Vince becomes disillusioned, they'll be in a right mess.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's not that simple with FGR. Ecotricity is also owned by Dale Vince and the football club get Ecotricity a good deal of publicity and presumably business. Though I wouldn't switch to them, precisely because of the association with a current rival. Probably when Mr Vince ceases to have involvement with the electric company that FG fans should start to worry.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Back to this thread. We are now three points behind Lincoln with the same number of games played - but they have three games left at home and four away; we have five at home and just two away. We have only two games against teams in the top half (FGR and Aldershot) and we have not lost to a team outside the top twelve (except Sutton on their plastic pitch). Lincoln's opponents are tougher on paper. I still rate Lincoln as favourites, but only just.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They have to be favourites with a three point advantage and superior goal difference but I do not think we or they will win all their remaining games so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

One things for sure, it makes a refreshing change to our end of season run-in.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I just hope that even if we don't catch them, the current feel good factor continues and we enter the play offs in good form and good spirits.

Need to start scoring some more goals though as we wont keep clean sheets in every game and the next 2 matches should provide an opportunity.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Great post Sparky and some great memories in there. 35 goal Ian Muir....I'd love to have him in the side now partnering Cookie, he'd have a field day!!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Love it, Sparky. Definitely a reason to be cheerful.

Incidentally, I just read my original post on this thread. I forecast we'd get 89 points and that could win us the league. We ended up with 95 and were effectively still five points short. But, my reasons to be cheerful this season are a full season of Micky and no Lincoln and no Cowleys this time.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I defy any rovers fan to watch this and not get emotional!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Great video Sparky.

Watching the early footage it reminds you just what a great player Ian Muir was, creating goals as well as scoring them. A 'number ten' before the term had even been invented.

I remember videoing the Exeter highlights in 1987, as it was the first time I had ever seen us on television.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The Villa game will always be magical for me. I was about 14, in the family enclosure which was packed. Couldn't believe we were beating such a big club and going to a cup final.

Sadly it never materialised...

Watching that was bittersweet as it shows just how low we've gone

Reactions: Ian