• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Raising our profile.

If gates are falling, we need to attract more fans.
We need to target shoppers in Birkenhead and Prenton with leaflets, displays, giveaways etc. We need to get into local schools, advertise more prominantly in local papers, radio. The stadium could do with being painted and revamped restoring pride. Any other ideas?

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Yeah I agree, sacking the gaffer won't put bums on seats. I feel so sorry for Ronnie who has done a good job, not a great job, but a good job on limited funds but his departure to be linked with falling gates is a joke. Gates are falling cos people don't have as much spendable income, and those that do and like football are seemingly spending on crossing the mersey or getting sky tv and watching it at home.

We need to target schools, get more kids to come along for a freebie from the schools. If they enjoy it, they'll want to come back with their parents. If you speak to most people around the wirral, they don't even know Tranmere are playing half the time. Often walking to the ground you see people asking "are they playing tonight? who they playing?", so we have to use the local media to promote games more.

Also, I believe getting people to the ground early and keeping them there will increase a bit of revenue. The complete lack of stuff to do inside the stadium is a joke. Make the bars more accessible, get people in early to enjoy a pint and a pie or whathaveya and cathc up with their mates, maybe betting shops and TVs in the gantries so people can watch the early kick off game rather than having them in the Clipper.

And little things like keeping the loos clean (they're a disgrace in the Kop) and a lick of paint around the ground, does make a small difference and gives people a better opinion on the club.

I agree with many of your points.
The stadium looks tired, needs a paint. Certainly the loos need to be looked at if we are to attract more families etc. Could do with larger lettering along the Borough Road stand to tell all passing traffic that this is Tranmere's ground. Thought that the club shop should have moved to a more prominant position, which would effectively act as free advertising for the club.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good ideas lads. And I'm sure some of these wouldn't cost the earth. Ultimately, people want to be entertained. Yes, people are being more careful with their money, but if they see good value for money and enjoy what they see on the field they'll come back for more.

Sadly, we are in the shadow of two huge clubs only a short distance away, but there are plenty of people to be targeted. Five figure gates are achievable but there's some way to go.

If they club want to get the supporters back (and I know a few that have left recently) then they need to make what we see on the field more exciting. This is the main reason we are all here, we want to see a good game of football and of course, we want to see our club winning.

I hope PJ has a good plan.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I'm more skeptical.

I think the attitude of football fans has changed over the years. Liverpool/Everton fans now laugh at us, rather than see us as a little Brother, perhaps. The gap between Premiership and League football has never been wider and we aren't the only ones suffering from that. So we've lost out on a lot of support from Wirral based Liverpool/Everton fans perhaps, that we might have had previously? I'm not an expert, just speculating. Also, previously having players who had previously played for a long period over the water, like Aldo, Stevens, Nevin etc might have been a factor. That said, it didn't really work with McAteer...but I think that the board may be hoping that the appointment of McAteer/Barnes might bring a few Red's through the gates; again, I'm skeptical.

I also think that the profile of the club was massivley raised by our cup exploits. Though I don't care much for the cup competitions - would rather see a successful league campaign - our reputation in this respect was definetly enhanced under Aldo, going to Wembley and all that. We've not had a good cup run for aaaages...

Also the obvious fact that we're in League 1 and showing no signs of rapid progression is going to make people bored - especially those old enough to have watched us surge up the league under JK, with the sky appearing to be the limit. Expectation levels from these fans inparticular seems to me to be unrealistically high, and many of them don't seem to accept that we have perhaps found our level playing L1 football.

A series of inept managerial appointments has brought years of rubbish football in recent times...Aldo got us relegated and was succeeded by the awful Dave Watson, Mathias started well but ultimately lost a lot of games, whilst Little inherited a gem of a team and ended up nearly getting us relegated. Moore has stabalised the club - looking at it, we were on a massively slippery slop - took over and within 3 years had us back on the brink of the playoffs, with budget cuts each year. But I think it was a bit too late, as we'd already bored a lot of fans into leaving in the Watson-Mathias-Little era.

So, raise the profile of the club? A good cup run would seem the most realistic, short-term way of doing this IMO. Promotion seems a less likely target but would probably be equally useful. The £5 offer was particulaly amusing - we could make it free to get in and still wouldn't sell out. It screamed of desperation and ultimately failed.