• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

posh v rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounded like a generally good performance, await the reports from those attending.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Superb result.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Superb performance by rovers, the better side throughout. Midfield was excellent.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
As much as I didn't want the draw, from the commentary it would have been a travesty if we were denied a second bite.
It sounds like they've all pulled their tripe out which, even if they'd got beaten, is all we ask.
A bit of interest in the draw now!

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
An excellent result, only one other draw so far so we may get on tv for the replay

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
An interesting lineup. Who'd have put DMH in a partly defensive role? Full marks to The manager and the team. Only the gate disappointed, despite a,good turnout from the SWA.

I must mention the great advertisement for the NL with their giantkilling and strong performances. Even Ebbsfleet led 2-0 before succumbing. Interesting that recent NL champions Lincoln and Cheltenham are both out.

Last edited:

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
An excellent result, only one other draw so far so we may get on tv for the replay
Looking at fixtures tomorrow, the games at Charlton and Coventry are ripe for TV if they end in draws.
If we're going to bow out then a bit of additional tv revenue would soften the blow I suppose but as Ian suggests, our form in front of cameras has been indifferent to say the least. Even when we've won we've cured insomniacs eg Guisley at home last season
Other great performances from some of our NL colleagues as well.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
An interesting lineup. Who'd have put DMH in a partly defensive role? Full marks to The manager and the team. Only the gate disappointed, despite a,good turnout from the SWA.
I'd hope that's not going to become a regular feature. It seems to have worked here because initially Peterborough were putting two men onto him, given Hughes and Norburn more freedom, which they took advantage of. The radio commentary feared Ebbsfleet re-visited in that McEveley was being targetted after picking up a yellow card and perhaps he ought to have been replaced by Buxton.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
From the often maligned Wirral Radio it seemed Jay McEveley was targeted as Boz says, but fair do's to him, he stuck to his task.
Did he also have an effort that grazed the upright?

Player
Manager
John King
I'd hope that's not going to become a regular feature. It seems to have worked here because initially Peterborough were putting two men onto him, given Hughes and Norburn more freedom, which they took advantage of. The radio commentary feared Ebbsfleet re-visited in that McEveley was being targetted after picking up a yellow card and perhaps he ought to have been replaced by Buxton.
I think you are wrong on both counts. DMH was excellent as a wing back and it is a role he can see him playing again in future. McEveley had a terrific game, was not targeted, and it would have been barmy to take him off.

Player
Manager
John King
This was an outstanding performance from Rovers. The players gave everything today, both in terms of quality on the ball and commitment, and the manager deserves credit for getting the tactics spot on. The 532 formation gave us control in the centre of midfield and some of the passing moves we put together were a delight to watch. Our 'ball players' - Norburn, Hughes, McNulty, McEveley - really relished the greater freedom they were given against higher level opposition and we looked the better side in possession throughout. Even their local radio commented that we looked like the League One team. Micky's decision to go with experience was the right one as none of our players looked phased by the occasion, and the surprising decision to play DMH as wing back was also a success. He was very disciplined defensively in the first half and contributed to our attacks after half time as we pushed for the equaliser.

Peterborough gave the impression of thinking they only had to turn up to win comfortably and Rovers should really have won the game outright today. I doubt they will play as poorly in the reply and there were flashes of quality from them, particularly in the link-up and mobility of the front players. However, there was a real lack of character in their performance which I think we can exploit at Prenton Park.

Individually, everybody played well other than McDonough. McEverley had his best game in a Rovers shirt. The back five worked very well as a unit, and McNulty was imperious as the organiser at the back. Norwood worked his socks off as usual but was not helped by McDonough alongside him, who looked out of his depth against higher class defenders, failing to hold the ball up, losing every header and not really contributing anything. My only criticism today would be that Cook should have been brought on at half time.

However, it was in midfield that we excelled. Jeff Hughes was back to his best and delivered a great ball for the equaliser. Alongside him, Ollie Norburn was outstanding, displaying a range of short and long passing and having several decent efforts on goal. Cole again showed touches of real quality when he came on. Cookie did what Cookie does best, producing a great header for the goal to remind us of what we miss when he is not in the starting eleven.

This was one of the most enjoyable days watching Rovers in a long time and it was great seeing the joy on everyone's faces when we scored the equaliser, which we all knew was the least we deserved.

Player
aldo
Ive just got in fron work but i tell ya the biggest shouting was when the cookie monster got that goal . Magnificent team performance . And the brilliantfans did wat they do best out sang the home few . Now for a tv apperance on a propper paying tv please . Will be at the replay . Rd 2 here we come . Am out lol

T

Tranmere 69

Superb effort by the lads today. Roll on the replay. S W A

Player
aldo
Just seen the goal on bbc red button. Loved the celebration from cookie and the players . And we had some great chances to . Well played boys

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think you are wrong on both counts. DMH was excellent as a wing back and it is a role he can see him playing again in future. McEveley had a terrific game, was not targeted, and it would have been barmy to take him off.
It sounded as though DMH coped well with the wing-back role, especially allowing for his inexperience in what was presumably an unfamiliar position. It’s hard to judge, because of the double-marking initially, to what extent the attacking side of his game was blunted by the defensive duties at RWB. Dylan seemed to have a quiet first half by his standards. His main value to us is in what he produces in the final third and if this is going to diminish in a wing-back role, then I would not want to see him deployed as that routinely.

It sounded like McEveley had got away with a couple of poor challenges before his booking. While at least he didn’t compound that by picking up a second yellow, the impression given by the commentary and highlights was that their attacking players got more space on our left, after his booking. There was also a suggestion he’d picked up a knock. In that context, a precautionary substitution, bringing Buxton on would not have been ‘barmy’ in my view.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I am guessing that playing 5-3-2 was purely down to the opposition and whilst it sounds like DMH did well, I would hope that in a normal national league game, at home, we'll revert to 4-4-2. Look how well he did against Halifax.

Although ironically our next game at home is against one of the better sides in Dagenham so will Micky be tempted to stick with 5-3-2? I would hope not.

As for mceveley, hopefully he's learnt that if your on a yellow then you've got to be careful. After his goal at Hartlepool recently and what sounds like a good performance yesterday, hopefully this will give him some confidence.

In his post match interview Micky said something like if a striker scores he'll play next week so expect cookie to start on Saturday.

Player
Manager
John King
It sounded as though DMH coped well with the wing-back role, especially allowing for his inexperience in what was presumably an unfamiliar position. It’s hard to judge, because of the double-marking initially, to what extent the attacking side of his game was blunted by the defensive duties at RWB. Dylan seemed to have a quiet first half by his standards. His main value to us is in what he produces in the final third and if this is going to diminish in a wing-back role, then I would not want to see him deployed as that routinely.

It sounded like McEveley had got away with a couple of poor challenges before his booking. While at least he didn’t compound that by picking up a second yellow, the impression given by the commentary and highlights was that their attacking players got more space on our left, after his booking. There was also a suggestion he’d picked up a knock. In that context, a precautionary substitution, bringing Buxton on would not have been ‘barmy’ in my view.
It would have been crazy to take mceveley off and disrupt the back five in a game where he was playing well, the defence were working well as a unit and we were playing quality opposition who would have exploited any uncertainty at the back. As sparky says, the decision to play dmh as wing back was almost entirely down to the strength of opposition we faced, but it is good to know he can do a job there if we need him to in future.

Player
Manager
John King
Of all today's ties involving non-league teams, only Billericay have a replay at home and that is against another non-league side in Leatherhead. So it seems likely our game will be televised.

drwhoman

Great result. A credit to the Manager and the team. Posh will be more aware for the replay who knows. A decent Cup run would generate some cash. I was just looking at the league table. Away we have scored less goals than ANY side although only the top three have conceded a similar number. Overall, our for and against is not dissimilar to Wrexham who are third. It just goes to show how thin the dividing line is. With the restructuring of the attacking part of our squad let us hope that we start getting over the line more often. There are real grounds for optimism. The Daggers will be a real test of the new (and better) approach!