• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

posh v rovers

Player
aldo
I realy hope if we dont win. That we can draw it and then get a propper tv station who pay propper money. And not peanuts. But if im honest i wont us do beat them . Had to meney bad days at posh and at home . I will be there as norm . Just a hard thought 1-0 will do

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The Posh ended a poor run by becoming the first side to beat Shrewsbury in L1 this season. They are in the top half of the table and although I've little knowledge of any of their squad, a key player would seem to be striker Jack Marriott. While their priority is promotion, you would expect them to field a fairly strong xi, though maybe resting one or two against non-league opponents.

Apart from the long-term absentees and the suspended Harris, Rovers have all options available. Damage limitation is important, as a starting point, my aim would be to avoid the kind of hammering which would de-moralise the side for league games ahead. However the 451 tactics at Aldershot brought their own difficulties and if we were to adopt that approach again, more support would be needed for the lone striker. My view would be that we're better with two up front and McDonagh's lack of aerial strength means, irrespective of his decent showing v Halifax, Cook should get the nod. Elsewhere, suspect Buxton will return, while it might be worth considering Duggan in a midfield role to compensate for the lack of Harris' bite.

Ticket prices aren't too bad, so even with our dismal record at London Road, I would think we'd get a decent travelling support. As it's the Cup, anything can happen, hopefully it will go in our favour.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Like Boz I don't know too many of the current Peterborough squad, save for ex-National League players Ricky Miller and Idris Kanu, neither of whom are starting regularly. However, with McAnthony still bankrolling them, Posh are bound to have a decent squad. Grant Mc Cann has said he will play his strongest team for this game, and apparently he has not rested players for similar matches in the past.

In terms of our own selection, I think we should avoid both the eleven that finished the game last Saturday and the side from the second half at Aldershot. The former would get pulled apart by higher level opposition and the latter would not have any attacking threat. It is difficult to know whether we should start with a 442 or a 451 formation. If Harris was available I would prefer 442, but it is difficult to see how we would be strong enough defensively with a two-man midfield of Hughes and Norburn. Based on recent performances, I would prefer McDonagh to start ahead of Cook, as the latter's work rate has not been great and we will be without the ball for long periods.

I would hope we will take a following of 500 plus to this one, and early ticket sales are encouraging apparently. Our record at Peterborough is appalling - in six visits I have not seen a win and actually turned up for one game which did not start - but this is the FA Cup, so who knows what will happen.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I've actually seen Rovers win at London Road, but it was a long time ago. More recently, I saw us thrashed 5-0.

I would expect the par score to be about 3-0 to the Posh, so a 2-0 defeat or better should not derail our league form.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing how we fare against the best side we have faced in three years. My gut feel is that we might sneak a draw, although we may not win the replay.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Damage limitation is important, as a starting point, my aim would be to avoid the kind of hammering which would de-moralise the side for league games ahead
Agree with that Boz. Realistically, I can't see us winning, I think they'll be too strong for us. I just hope they give a good account of themselves and the scoreline is a lot closer than it's been in past games. Last thing we need right now is a knock in confidence.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Hope it's settled on the day and, as has been said, if we get beat we leave with dignity intact.
Unless the incentive is a home game to one of the big boys in next round a replay would attract about 4k gate, shared gate receipts and likely a defeat to stir the natives.
At least we've made the telly FA Cup roundup!

Player
aldo
No draws just wins . But . If a draw means we are on the tv . A propper tv station who pay propper money . Not the bt national league crap they pay then im up 4 it . Would love to get them to pp and batter them . Oh im now not going asci have a big patry to cook for

Player
Manager
John King
Mc eveley recalled, duggan drops to bench. Looks like 442 with norwood and Gerry up front, Sutton at right back.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It will be interesting to see how that selection lines up. McEveley at left back, Ridehalgh left midfield? DMH a free role behind the front two? Struggling to see Sutton as a wing-back. If Mellon is using the experience card as his reason for dropping Duggan, why is McDonagh starting? Different rules for our own and loanee inexperienced players it seems...

On a positive, Jake Kirby makes the bench for the first time since his broken leg.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, good to see kirby is back. Mellon probably wants more experience at the back against higher level opposition, hence duggan misses out. Looks like a 442 to me.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wirral Radio commentary suggests Rovers having the best of the first half.

Player
Manager
John King
We have been the better side, hope we keep it going. It's a 532 with dmh as wing back. Mc donogh has been poor though and needs to go off.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Quite surprised. Sounds like we’ve had a few chances too. Not much from Peterborough yet.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not listening to it and following the Twitter feeds but sounds like first half we were on top but didn't get the goal. Sounds like Nors had a number of chances.

Trailing now. Hopefully we can keep going and pull it back

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Cookie and Larnell on for Gerry and Jennings

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The radio suggests McEveley being targeted already on a yellow card and perhaps ought to be replaced. Cook levels...

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Full time 1-1 and a replay. A great result which should give them confidence.

Will await any reports. Obviously interested in Gerry and cook performances plus the likes of CJ.