• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Pirates 2 Rovers 0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Did anyone go? Sounds like poor defending played a part in their goals, while we didn't do much to test them until falling 2 behind. Did better after Shukes and Gornell came on (was Bas injured?), without changing the score. As Bristol going through a rough patch, getting nothing a disappointment.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think there were around 140 supporters that went today. They should ask for their money back. We would have had more chance of scoring if we'd put an elephant up front. Poor show..

Player
Goodison
Apparently it took 75 mins to get a shot on goal - that sums it up.

6 away games without a goal is appaling it's like Brian Little all over again. Play for 0-0 and if they score keep it respectable - pathetic.

SCRAP THE 4-5-1 RONNIE IF YOUR ARE READING THIS

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Told you we'd lose 2-0 :-s

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Nice prediction SonkORLY! There were quite a few unhappy people on the BBC forums as well. Basically echoing roverstillidie's comments, which I completely agree with. I'm sure we're not the only ones with the same opinion.

I see there's nothing on the official website after the game either. Ronnie's probably just given time to think up some of his nonsense excuses.

I happened to hear a little of what Alvin Martin was saying on Talksport the other day and he was saying how some managers are so scared to lose a game, they play the 4-5-1 system with the lone striker, even at home! I was so tempted to pick up the phone!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Whilst I agree, I don't think people are being completely fair with the way in which they reached the conclusion that the 4-5-1 is useless. I'm happy to admit that we tend to play drab football with one up top, and that over the past few weeks, our results have taken a downward spiral too.

However, whenever we play 4-5-1 and do win, Ronnie gets no credit; the formation isn't mentioned. Whilst all hell breaks when we lose; cue teary eyed statements such as "Bas is isolated...needs a strike partner...we need a goalscorer in the side...we're playing too negatively..."

Recently there may be a lot of truth in those statements, but I think that, similaly, when we do find success with the formation, it would be nice to hear "the midfield 3 stifled them really well...Bas worked the front line well by himself...we soaked up pressure well...we looked good on the counter..." because this has been the case just as often. The reality is that we're only slightly better than the average side in this league, and this is bound to be reflected in the results. I would like to see more people accept this for what it is and not try to make scapegoats.

Player
Goodison
My guess for excuses:

• Pitch
  • Injuries
  • Tiredness
  • Missing a chance
  • Some fans getting on his back
:cold: (I had to use it!!!)

Bristol Shambles

:cold::evil::twisted::twisted:Agree with elephant scenario. We were utterly useless at Bristol. No - Bas didn't get injured - just didn't get any support from our players - mostly he was supported by the Pirate planks who continually sang about his connections with the red Bristol ranks. Ronnie took him off. Maybe Bas was bothered by the crowd. Anyway - the real issue was that we were totally ineffective. We had plenty of possession but no clue what to do with the ball. Aimless passes, absent movement, not a clue in heaven. Clealry the tactice are lacking as usual. Formation a joke. Negative nothing as an attacking force. And we defended like bloated donkeys on heroin. The speed of slugs at the back. First goal was a messy scramble but Kuffour paid attention unlike any Tranmere defenders. Open goal. Second one - the fella had momentum but no-one challenged him. Clealry going to get through on goal so needed a tackle or a foul. But nothing. We're so lacklustre it's unbelievable. The worse thing is that, if the Pirate prats were any good (they were poor) we could have been understandably on the back foot and defending for all our might. Trouble is, they were pretty poor too so we did get a fair bit of the ball. So then it really showed that we can't do anything with it. It would have been less annoying if we had just been completely mullered by them but alas no, we had possession and it exposed Tranmere for everything we are. Clueless, directionless, toothless. The players tried, it wasn't a lack of motivation. But a total lack of tactics going forward. So who's responsibility is that? Ronnie?? How we can go to a below average side like Bristol Rovers and clearly have no intent to press them is just beyond me. 150 or so fans stood and froze to watch that dirge. I've seen us battered over the years (nearly 30 years watching Tranny) and I've have rather seen us hammered yesterday 'cos at least without the ball we wouldn't have had the opportunity to show everyone there yesterday how embarrassingly useless we are when we do have it. Ronnie Moore - no aspiration, no tactical guile. He might be able to motivate players with his big mush but he either hasn't a clue about how to play to the strenghts of the squad of players he has. It shows Ronnie, it really shows. Downright disgraceful yesterday. What next eh??

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Welcome to the forums Dickie. I'm surprised that you say the tactics were at fault and not the motivation. I'd agree, the tactics certainly didn't work, but from what I saw on the highlights, the players didn't look motivated either.

Yes, going forward we have big problems. Joint top scorer with 5, Ryan Shotton!! but I thought they were poor defensively as well. Messy first goal and their second goal was a joke. The whole team stood there and let the guy run into the box. He ran in between our two central defenders!

SonkORLY: There will of course be times when that formation will win us games. I think it's the nature of the losses that cause concern. First real chance on 75 mins?! Seriously, as a manager, that needs sorting out.

Player
Goodison
What next eh??

A penalty win against Scunthorpe! :shock:

Welcome to the forum - didnt go to match but your report sounds very predictable#-oHopefully Ronnie might actually take some responsibilty for something apart from what suit he wears.

At this rate we will either be in league 2 or have average crowds of 3000, or even both! I'm not overeacting, I'm basing it on the football we have played this season, which on reflection with 3 exceptions (Huddersfield, Northampton and Leeds) has been dire.

Monday morning - and I'm still really cheesed off with Saturday's "performance". Hello all. Never been on a fourm before but might get interested in this. Anyway - yes, perhaps motivation not great either but I don't get to see us often these days (live in exile in Exeter). Went to Yeovil the other week and truly hoped that it was down to having half a team. Clearly wasn't the problem! Even Yeovil had alook at us after 10 minutes and realised we were wide open and way off the pace. Hence they beat us and really should have scored a couple more, as should have Bristol Rovers on Saturday. Only the post and a top draw Danny save kept the score down to 2-0.

I thought we would be mid-table mainly because there's plenty of teams struggling down there. However, some are picking up points now and the gap is closing. I'm not sure about us avoiding a messy scrap now. And I'm certainly not confident that we have the heart and belief if we got dragged into summat.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Sounds like another pathetic display by us. Far too many of those of late. All this talk of 4-5-1. Let me tell you what I think. I think it would work if:
a) Bas Savage stayed up front all the time and held the ball up to bring others into play, i don't think he does either very well he wants to be involved so moves around and although he wins headers the ball bounces off him too often.
b) if we had players running past Bas from midfield, our midfield is usually 30 yards (at least) behind the furthest guy forward.
c) The wide players offered any support, but this is usually extremely rare in coming, even though Moore is a striker and seems to be scared of the goal this season, would like to see him when we're attacking closer to the front man and coming inside trying to have shots on goal, ala Leeds.

I don't think formation is the problem, i think the players far too often underperform, but Moore doesn't seem to bring the best out of them. He admitted giving the players a rocket but didnt get any response whatsoever. Is that the sign of a good manager??? The fact he picks the same useless *******s on a regular basis means nobody seems scared on losing their places, if they play crap its ok they pick up their wages and get a game next week.

Bristol hadn't won in 5 games, and to lose and so lamely means I have lost any little bit of belief in any play off push. Lose tomorrow night and it's season over pretty much. :-x Can't see us winning so before Christmas that could be it. Gutted.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Sounds like another pathetic display by us. Far too many of those of late. All this talk of 4-5-1. Let me tell you what I think. I think it would work if:
a) Bas Savage stayed up front all the time and held the ball up to bring others into play, i don't think he does either very well he wants to be involved so moves around and although he wins headers the ball bounces off him too often.
b) if we had players running past Bas from midfield, our midfield is usually 30 yards (at least) behind the furthest guy forward.
c) The wide players offered any support, but this is usually extremely rare in coming, even though Moore is a striker and seems to be scared of the goal this season, would like to see him when we're attacking closer to the front man and coming inside trying to have shots on goal, ala Leeds.

Spot on. Although a.) and b.) are related I think...in the past few home games, when Jenno has made an effort to support, Bas has used him to some success. It's not that Bas can't bring players into play, perhaps more often that there's very rarely anyone worth laying the ball off too.

Player
Goodison
Really?

Also lol @ the namechecking of 3 games in which we deployed 4-5-1

We played 4-4-2 against Huddersfield and Northampton. Against Leeds it was 4-5-1 but Moore came off the wing a lot so it was effectively a very lopsided 4-4-2

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Correct indeed, I've just checked :cool: Not sure why I thought that. I was sure we played 4-5-1 again Nor'ton...It raises a good point then I guess, we do tend to play better football with the 4-4-2. But also, at the start of the season, we were going away and conceding 2 or 3 goals every trip and the 4-5-1 did sure us up at the back. Certainly we should be playing 4-4-2 at home. It's easy to jump on a bandwagon after a defeat, though.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Going off at a slight tangent, Ronnie's team selection puzzled me. If we must play 4-5-1, can't follow the logic of playing Ian Moore wide ahead of Shukes. Can't understand why Wilson gets played at all now that Kay & Jennings available, very similar players. Why Antwi and Edds on the bench ahead of Cresswell and Barnett is another mystery. Some players are getting picked despite poor performances and Ronnie is losing all credibility in consequence.

Player
Liam Palmer
I missed that stat - 6 away games without a goal (I saw the last one at Orient, seems like a lifetime ago). Jeepers.

What frustrates me is that we don't have a go away from home, especially first 15 minutes. Have a go, pinch a goal, get their fans on their backs. It's obvious we go away for a 0-0. Thing is, we're just saying to the opposition, "come on, have a go". Inevitably we concede, then it's about turn and we have to go chasing an equaliser when we're all set up to defend.

The difference tomorrow night is that a draw won't happen - unless we want to set out to play for penalties, very dangerous considering our record. So we'll have to have a go tomorrow night.

I'm not as pessimistic as some of the posters above. I think we're not that bad a team in not that great a league. I know that doesn't sound great or inspiring, but it's about right.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Agree with the above, and with Boz. Thing is, Tartan, the difference between finishing 7th and finishing 20th is ultimitely one of insignificance. But it's a slow building process, and I think our squad is improving every year. We're 9th at the moment, but we certainly aren't the 9th "biggest" club in the league. Ronnie has navigated his way around the transfer market on a shoestring budget and I feel a comparison with Tim Wonnacott does neither a disservice in respect of their bargain hunting expertise. I also think Moore should be credited for the resurgence of the likes of Jenno, Goodison and even Bas whose careers were - to varying degrees - falling by the wayside before Ronnie came along. A good man manager certainly, though team selection doesn't appear to be his forte; an issue frustrating enough in itsself, disregarding the fact that it's all too often the younger members of the squad who suffer. I don't think he's quite so tactically inept as a lot of our fans think; perhaps "naive". The principle of playing with a lot of width is pertinent enough; even the 4-5-1 is deployed with the right motives I feel. However, there is a time and a place to adapt previous ways of thinking and Ronnie is often very slow to recognise that sometimes a change, be it regarding tactics or personell, is neccessary. I think the side is at that point right now, so it's understandable that we're all getting a bit frustrated with him.

Apologies to Ian for going off topic. It makes him sad.