• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Orient of the Leyton Variety

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
So after the Bradford result are we moving onwards and upwards now, A win against the O's will see us climb a few places even a draw might see us shifting up.
Surely Orient have to slip up sometime !

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It'll be ironic if Orient slip up at a team who they are being compared with given our position this time last season. They'll be hoping they dont copy us.

Much as I would love a win after Bradford and confidence will be up, I think realistically a draw would be a positive and I dontn expect anything more.

They'll be a test tho no doubt about that (I sound like Ronnie!) Lisbie and Mooney up front are banging them in.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hard one to call. Orient are flying but PP hasn't been a happy hunting ground for them, only one win in recent years. It'll be close either 1-1 or a narrow away win before ~4.5k

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Would happily settle for a point, they are flying at the moment.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
After Sunday's performance I am confident we will take something from the game. Individually, with the exception of Cox, Lisbie and perhaps Mooney, Orient don't look that exceptional - I think we had a better side this time last year - and it seems to be team spirit and organisation that have got them where they are.

Orient will bring more fans than they usually do and the combination of last week's result and a visit from the league leaders may bring a few of the doubters back, so the gate will hopefully be above average.

I fancy a 2-0 win for Rovers.

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
agree with RLC
so the gate will hopefully be above average.
crowd may tip over 5K
lets just hope for a good performance

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think if we remain tight at the back, we've got a chance. Lowe to get a brace.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Both sides will be up for it, so it will be tight. Ronnie recognises his side's current limitations with 8 under treatment ("We would love to be playing fluent and attacking football but we haven't got the players at this time to go and do that."), so we'll be relying on character and organisation.

I expect Rovers to score in the first half but Orient to equalise in the second.

Last edited:

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Continued improvement expected from us, although I fear a 2-1 reverse ...possibly late winner from them.

Player
Manager
John King
A scoreline I did not see coming after an hour of the game today. For 60 minutes I thought we pretty much matched them, with Lisbie's finishing the only difference between the sides. I thought we were unlucky to be two down.

However, after the sending off we became extremely ragged, particularly as Hateley was off the pitch. The referee was so poor, the linesman had to tell him the rules, LOL.

Losing today would not have been a big deal, but another thrashing was the last thing we needed with our already brittle confidence. Staying in League One will be a major achievement this season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yep RLC is spot On. I thought we edged the first 60 mins with neither keeper having much to do apart from 2 poachers goals from Lisbie. Their 3rd and 4th goals were typical of how their season is going, everything going in the bottom corners, a bit like us this time last season. Hateley was mom for me up until he went off.

As for the sending off, from the kop it looked like goodi won the ball although he went in a bit strong. He and Lisbie squared up, goodi may have pushed him but Lisbie looked like he'd been shot. Just seems ronnies comments, Goodi apparently slapped him! No complaints

It's a real shame as the score line flattered orient and didn't tell the full story. I just hope Ronnie can repair any loss of confidence as we looked half decent today for two thirds of the game

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I wouldn't say we looked half decent. We did nothing to trouble their keeper all game and it's true what RLC says. Staying in league one this season will be a major achievement.

We can match teams for a certain period of time, but then quality shows through and sadly we have very little in that team. In all honesty, I know we were down to 10 in the second half but Orient could have had another 2 or 3 in the first half alone without really breaking sweat.

We have little to nothing up front. It's so weak after we get into the final third. I have very little belief that we will score goals the best we can hope for us a draw. Shut up shop. As soon as we go a goal down its game over.

We won't be playing top of the league every week but we'll still get turned over by other teams at home if we put in performances like that.

It's looking pretty grim right now.

Player
Manager
John King
I wouldn't say we looked half decent. We did nothing to trouble their keeper all game and it's true what RLC says. Staying in league one this season will be a major achievement.

We can match teams for a certain period of time, but then quality shows through and sadly we have very little in that team. In all honesty, I know we were down to 10 in the second half but Orient could have had another 2 or 3 in the first half alone without really breaking sweat.

I think in the first half we actually created as many chances as them - Taylor's header on to the post, Kirby's brekaway which he should have scored - and all aspects of our game were pretty good. The big difference between today and the Bradford game was that we failed to score first and I agree that once we go behind we never look like retrieving anything from a game. I think this is due both to our lack of confidence and also the formation we are forced to play at the moment, which necessarily restricts our ability to create.

My biggest concern today was the way we collapsed in the final half hour, echoing the Peterborough game. We all new we were likely to lose today but the manner of the defeat matters hugely, both in terms of goal difference and confidence levels. I though it was strange that we ended up with Lowe in centre midfield: after the red card I thought we should have brought Rowe on for one of the strikers to try and shore things up in the middle and prevent a thrashing, as we were never going to get anything out of the game from that point.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Looking a Ronnie's substitutions, it looks like he still fancied getting something out of the game. What other explanation can there be? I don't blame him. We are unlikely to go down on goal difference. It's always worth trying to win a game when there's nearly half an hour to go.

Goody's sending-off probably didn't alter the result (only the score) but my main concern now is we'll be without him for the next three games as he serves his suspension for violent conduct.

I feel for Ronnie. It will be hard to keep morale up. I've never known such a shocking start to a season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sadly, attendances will fall too. It's hardly entertaining..

Player
Manager
John King
There were only 4,300 there today and Orient must have brought 3-400. If our abysmal home form continues I think we will be dipping below 4,000 soon......

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Back to reality with a bump im afraid, the system we used yesterday is much better away from home than it is at home. We are creating very little and rarely do we look like scoring. Too compound things Goodison loses his head and will miss the next 3 matches.

Unless something changes we are going to be relegated this season, we cant score and rarely keep a clean sheet adds up to relegation.