• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Northampton Town v Rovers

Northampton Town v Rovers
Posted by Ian
PTS Academy Stadium
Saturday, September 1, 2018 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 1, 2018 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
aldo
we need to be on the front foot and be positive abt this one they only got there first win on sat . lets go in force support the boys and sing them on to another win . the home support has been brilliant . the away support has been amazing . lrts get there in are hundreds and i think 600 plus will make it and think we will win but with the lord not scoring think its banks turn as well as mullins go. but who cares as long as we win

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not sure it’s a great time to play The Cobblers after their first win of the season, a good 2-1 away win against Colchester will see their sprits lifted and will want to continue their form at home.

If we continue to play like we have been, we've got every chance of taking home some points as we’ve been excellent and have some real good, influential players in the team.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think they have a couple of our old boys in there ranks in Ash Taylor and David Buchannon, could be a close game but think we will edge it 2 1

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky has some decisions to make. Not only to decide whether DMH and Mullin should start, but Buxton, Zoom and Frankkln have trained today. The latter has had a minor thigh injury so suspect he won’t be risked. Think caprice will stay ahead of Bucko but as well as big manny did last week, should Zoom come back in if fit?

I suspect not. With the clean sheet from last week suspect MM will stick with the back 4 and wouldn’t surprise me if we’re unchanged.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Like Sparky, i think we will start with an unchanged team. In the medium term I think Zoum has to replace Monthe as he gives so much going forward on the left hamd side, but I doubt Manny will be dropped for Saturday. At right back, I don't think it is a given that Buxton will replace Caprice when he is fit. Adam is the better footballer but Jake has given us something extra down that flank with his pace and has surpassed expectations.

Northampton started the season slowly, but had a great victory against in-form Colchester last week and were one of the pre-season favourites for promotion. Their squad is certainly very strong, featuring Dean Bowditch, John Joe O'Toole, Daniel Powell and others, in addition to the ex-Rovers. This is another very tough game and I would be happy with a point.

I think there will be another strong Rovers following of 6-700. Luckily for me I am working in Wellingborough on Saturday morning, just down the road from Sixfields.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While there is an argument for Mullin replacing Stockton, I'd also expect Micky to select the same xi as started v Port Vale. Will be interested hearing how Ash Taylor performs against us, another of BBTCs marmite players, who fared better north of the border than Cole Stockton. Think we'll lose this narrowly.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I’d agree with an unchanged team. Caprice whilst the weaker defender is far better than Buxton running down the flanks and can find himself in the final third with a cheeky step over and a strong run. Him and zoom on the wings are excellent players to have although Monthe has also been excellent recently. Nice problem to have I suppose.

No point harping on about Stockton I just hope he plays like he did against Swindon where he was excellent with the link up play early on.

Player
ian goodison
I agree with your post ian your comment about selection problems isn't one we have had for a while glad im not in mickys shoes

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Yes, why rock the boat unnecessarily. We have impact players from the bench & it would be madness to change a winning formula. If things aren’t going well I have faith in MM to make the appropriate changes. I feel that he’s really coming into his own now we’re back in the EFL. Orient fans slagged off Caprice & now we’re talking about him keeping Buxton our of the team! Likewise with Zoum & Manny, if it ain’t broke etc.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In the Port Vale game, Rovers played better after the subs were made. While I’m not saying the side should be changed, there are arguments on both sides. Players who are picked despite consistent poor form become complacent, while those who do well as a sub, but never start a game become frustrated. Sticking with the same starting xi, doesn’t guarantee success, while Guardiola’s City won the Premiership, although seeming to change their starting line-up every week.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
Good to some positive people on hear as usual . Think mdh will start there's no point bringing him back to warm a bench and he always makes stuff happen when he's playing . Not sure how long you can keep playing cole stockton for the lad realy needs a goal or 2 although he has set some up for noors as i said the other day 2-1win be positive

Player
Manager
John King
Think mdh will start there's no point bringing him back to warm a bench and he always makes stuff happen when he's playing .
Smith makes more happen over ninety minutes in my opinion. He is very important to our pattern of play. I would be surprised if DMH started tomorrow.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mickey will never drop Jennings unless he’s injured

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mickey will never drop Jennings unless he’s injured
Would you drop Jennings? Think he's had a quiet start to the season, but is being played out of his best position.

Player
Manager
John King
Would you drop Jennings? Think he's had a quiet start to the season, but is being played out of his best position.
I would not. Definitely not for Mottley-Henry anyway.

With players like Smith and Jennings people underestimate how much they contribute to the shape of the team and the work they do defensively. Although DMH looks great coming off the bench for thirty minutes, I would not start him ahead of those two (not that I have anything against him).

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
CJ will always be one of those first on my team sheet.
He doesn't go hiding when it's not going for him and he can always pull a match winning trick out of the hat.
He seems to have added a bit more 'steel' to his game this season as well, without attracting the ref's attention a la Jay!
Think Smith should start, as he has done to good effect up to now.
And.......wait for it.........Mullin!

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I think RLC nails it here. I was also listening to the monthly club podcast by the boys & it’s clear there’s a mechanic behind the tactics which MM is deploying including Stockton. I think it’s niaive for any of us to assume that we understand shape & set up of the selected eleven or how an alteration would upset that balance. Another tough away game so let’s see whether we come through with flying colours again. I don’t do predictions but would take 2-2 now ;)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Exactly, MH. Micky clearly has a plan and he knows who can fit in each role. That's why he has resisted changing the team, except when forced by circumstances. The team has not let him down, fighting back at Stevenage, holding a good Mansfield side and grinding out a couple of one-nils against dogged visiting defences. You can't blame the other ten players for the defeat at Swindon.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be a more open game than it would have been at PP, which will suit us. I am predicting our first away victory (2-1), which unfortunately I will have to miss.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
A free Saturday so an away day for me today. We're in good form, forecast is good and expecting a good turnout from the SWA. What could possibly go wrong? That they have Ash and Buchs playing, who were both class for us in L1 really demonstrates the standards required. 1-2 Rovers ...please!