• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Next season

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Usually at this time we discuss which players will be offered new contracts. This year is obviously a little different.

The decision earlier this season to limit contracts to the end of 2014/15 means that almost every player is free to leave. As far as I can judge, of all the established pros only Ridehalgh, Ihiekwe, Holness, Stockton and Kirby have deals extending into next season, the last two to 2017.

This leaves the new manager, whoever he may be, a virtually clean slate as even the five above may want to move on. I know feelings are raw and many would like a completely fresh start, but would you like to see any of the current squad back here next season? It depends on our budget but who do you think would be happy to stay?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If a new manager is appointed this week, as seems likely, he will have an opportunity for a real clearout and to start the squad building process early, something that did not happen last season and which cost us dearly.

Of the current squad, I would only want a handful to remain: Holmes, Fonners, Power, Laird, Hill and maybe the couple of youngsters mentioned by BBTC. Of those players, I think only Holmes and perhaps Laird will be willing to play at Conference level. The rest are free to leave as far as I am concerned.

Player
Liam Palmer
Now that we're in the Conference, maybe Stockton and Kirby will find their level with us!

I think almost everyone will go. Holmes might stay, possibly Hill as he's getting on a bit. I'd be happy to start again with a whole new squad as I think most of this season's bunch are tarnished. One consequence of being in the Conference is the quality of player (and loan players) will diminish. We'll just have to accept that, sadly. We will need some experienced old pros around, especially if we start to bring some of our youngsters in (Duggan, Gumbs, etc.).

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
TT64, I agree. Remember Cole and Jake are still young, so will surely get better. I'd expect to see them regularly next season. Yes, we will probably blood Jago, Gumbs and Duggan, if only for budgetary reasons. That would leave more money to bring in some experienced pros and to pay Ihiekwe, Ridehalgh and Holness. It all depends on the budget. I doubt anyone will be offered a long-term deal, which might make it difficult to attract players. We just need a new boss asap to make those decisions.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Feeling like we should get rid of the lot of them and start afresh, but if I had to pick, I would keep a couple of the experienced pros like Hill, OFW, Holmes. I think these would fair well in the division below. Ultimately, we need a team that can keep a clean sheet and score goals. Possibly even Laird who I didn't think was that bad even though he was woeful in front of goal.

TranmereWire

Player
Ian Goodison
Looking at the current side I think most will want to leave whether they are contracted or not. Interesting to see what a few people think about a few players who may want to stay and or be more suited to the conference. People like Odejayi, Brezovan, Laird, Thompson just to name a few. There are plenty who I think will and probably should be let go like Dugdale, Molyneux and Taylor but also there are a few players like Holmes, Koumas and maybe Hume who may be tempted to have one crack at coming back for one more term

Player
Liam Palmer
Interesting Goodi interview on Radio Murkyside yesterday saying he's be interested in coming back as a player or coach. I'd have him back in any capacity.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think he'd be a good, calming influence in the dressing room. It's a option for the new manager.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If the rumours that Gary Brabin is going to be our new manager are to be believed, he may like Goodi as Brabin was a non nonsense/tough player.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd have Goody back as a player at that level for sure. Missed his influence this season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am sure that Goodi would be better than any of our current centre backs, even at the age of 42. I would definitely have him back.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If the rumours that Gary Brabin is going to be our new manager are to be believed, he may like Goodi as Brabin was a non nonsense/tough player.
I can't see Brabin joining us. He left Southport quite recently to take up a coaching job at Everton. However, he did well at Luton so has the pedigree for this job. If he's missing club management, we should be the ideal place to return.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Usually at this time we discuss which players will be offered new contracts. This year is obviously a little different.

The decision earlier this season to limit contracts to the end of 2014/15 means that almost every player is free to leave. As far as I can judge, of all the established pros only Ridehalgh, Ihiekwe, Holness, Stockton and Kirby have deals extending into next season, the last two to 2017.

This leaves the new manager, whoever he may be, a virtually clean slate as even the five above may want to move on. I know feelings are raw and many would like a completely fresh start, but would you like to see any of the current squad back here next season? It depends on our budget but who do you think would be happy to stay?
I see that we've offered four lads their first pro contract. This is testament to Shaun Garnett's youth set-up to get so many through in one year. So, we'll have Evan Gumbs, Ben Jago, Mitch Duggan and Luke Pilling also available next season. Three have already played in the first-team and Luke has been on the bench. With Sam Ramsbottom and Liam Davies, we'll have a lot of young talent in the squad. Oh, and I forgot George Donnelly, whose deal runs for another season! So, we've actually got 12 players already under contract for 2015-16 plus one-year options on another three.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't know what the position is with Ramsbottom and Davies. The latter has spent most of this season injured but think he was only given a 1 year deal.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don't know what the position is with Ramsbottom and Davies. The latter has spent most of this season injured but think he was only given a 1 year deal.
Interesting that Sam was not on the bench today. Whether or not OFW and Brezovan move on, we will surely have an experienced keeper as first choice. I doubt there's room for two reserve keepers. Given that Pilling was on the bench today, I'd be surprised if Ramsbottom stays, unless he goes out on loan.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
So, this nightmare season is over at last. Our worst since we joined the league in 1921. Less than a goal a game scored, 21 games without a clean sheet. Normally, you need about 48 points to survive. Hartlepool only managed 44 and that was more than enough, so we finished bottom in a very poor League Two. No point in dwelling on it too much, but the only way to make it better is for a quick return.

But there is a lot to give me hope for next season.
1. Mark Palios - love for the club, experienced football executive, good businessman.
2. Nicola Palios - a wife who's willing to let her husband risk losing his pension on his new hobby!
3. The fans - who's continued support in quantity and quality despite the dross of the last two years has been amazing.

We've also got a good crop of youngsters coming through. They may not all make the breakthrough next season, but the future looks good.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Whoever comes in as manager (rumours suggest Gary Brabin) will have their work cut out, relegation will cost us around half a million pounds we have a poor squad which needs to be totally rebuilt from scratch, think its going to be a long and hard battle to get back in the league

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Whoever comes in as manager (rumours suggest Gary Brabin) will have their work cut out, relegation will cost us around half a million pounds we have a poor squad which needs to be totally rebuilt from scratch, think its going to be a long and hard battle to get back in the league
Agree. I think it will take a few seasons of rebuilding before we start to look upwards again such is the mess we are in at the moment.