• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Micky Mellon Q&A

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I went to the Q&A this evening and was very impressed with Micky who is a confident and articulate speaker, and impressive when discussing tactical matters.

Some of the more interesting comments were as follows:

Micky believes we have a core squad of twelve or thirteen players which could hold their own in League Two, and younger, less experienced players below that. He said he is perfectly happy to use those younger players, as there is no point in them being in the squad if they don't feature.

Micky said that he will use Connor Jennings in the number ten role, either behind two strikers or a single striker, as this is his best position and the one where he causes most damage. Remarkably, Brabin never used him in that position once.

It is apparent that Micky would like to re-sign Andy Mangan.

I asked Micky whether there was a lack of creativity in midfield. He gave a diplomatic answer which I took as a 'yes'.

Mike Jackson was asked about the standard of officials at this level, particularly following the events of Tuesday night. Jackson said the standard is poor, but managers and coaching staff must not get emotionally involved in decisions as it can transmit to the players and negatively affect the performance. A complete contrast with Brabin's attitude.

Micky was asked about Darren Stephenson, who he described as having 'everything' in terms of talent, but needs to think more before he receives the ball and play less instinctively if he is to adapt to this level. Mellon said he has to be good for ninety minutes, not just thirty.

More will probably come back to me later......

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks RLC.

Mangan is interesting. I'm sure he would score at this level given decent service. But Cook is a definite starter at the moment as is Norwood so where they would all fit along with Connor J would be interesting.

Would be good tho to have squad options though. The likes of Eastleigh have 4 decent strikers at this level.

Player
Manager
John King
It was interesting that Micky finished by saying that supporters need to consider how their behaviour impacts on the players, and emphasised that everything that is said in the stands is heard on the pitch. This got a round of applause and there was a real sense of the club coming together again under an inspiring manager, and drawing a line under the dismal GB era.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Any mention of Adam Dawson or wingers in general?

Player
Manager
John King
No. It did not sound like any signings were imminent, but Micky said he is always looking to improve the squad.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, RLC. Your report cheered me up a lot. MM and MJ are coming over as a shrewd duo. They talk sense and are tactful but don't mince words when they have a point to make. If they are as good at managing the players as the media and the fans, we are on our way up.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report of the meeting. I followed some of the OSC tweets, but interesting to have some flesh put on the bones.

I wouldn't say no to getting Mangan back, though unsure it would be a priority. Sounds like Connor Jennings still some way off returning.

Can't help wondering if Brabin regrets not doing the q+a now. It's interesting that Micky, who divided opinion as a player, has used his previous knowledge of the club to tune into the same wavelength as the fan base.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks RLC. I do think MM and his crew have been told to make a concerted effort with the supporters to repair the damage that was done under GB as his relationship with the fans was frankly dreadful.

He seems to talk a lot about the supporters and what impact they have on the results. It's all very positive though and does help to build that bridge between supporters and staff.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, I agree with your comments Boz and RLC. I find it very difficult to believe that as a manager with so much experience at so many clubs, GB did not realise the importance of cultivating the fans. Perhaps he just didn't know how to. Certainly he was not comfortable doing it. All he seemed to be able to come out with is stock phrases and clichés to the media. With Micky, you feel he really understands what's going on, has a plan to sort things out and is happy to explain what he's doing. Frankly, I can't remember any other Rovers manager (maybe not even Kingy), who had such a dialogue with the fans. He even took the trouble to do a Q&A with a local primary school. http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/new...ball-interview-with-micky-mellon-3387040.aspx

Reactions: Boz
M

Mal

I have watched all his interviews on Tranmere player. Every time he mentions his 'a game asks a question and we have to answer it" philosophy. That manifests itself in the change of players to try and address a given 'problem' like he did against NF. That is also totally different to GB who seemed to persist with the same approach in a game come hell or high water.

By the way, I understood that the commentary for live games was always on Tranmere player. I have only managed to pick up one from three. Ended up using Twitter to follow some games. Anyone know if every game has a live commentary and I am just having technical issues?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think there have been a few technical issues recently Mal. Mainly due to some of these grounds being not much better than cow fields!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Mal, my mate tells me all the games are in Wirral Radio on the internet, although I've yet to try it.

Player
Manager
John King
Mal, as Ian says I think Tranmere Player had technical issues at Barrow and Solihull but there should not be any problems at Dover tomorrow. Personally, I would still stick with them rather than listening to Wirral Radio. Derek Jones is comfortably the best Rovers commentator in the local media and the whole Wirral Radio set up is pretty amateurish in my opinion. Fair play to them for covering the games, but I don't think their commentators are up to much. The one thing they do offer is an ex-Rovers player as summariser, something Radio Merseyside could learn from rather than rolling out Andy Doyle every week (we also had to put up with him as compere last night !).

Reactions: Ian
M

Mal

Mal, as Ian says I think Tranmere Player had technical issues at Barrow and Solihull but there should not be any problems at Dover tomorrow. Personally, I would still stick with them rather than listening to Wirral Radio. Derek Jones is comfortably the best Rovers commentator in the local media and the whole Wirral Radio set up is pretty amateurish in my opinion. Fair play to them for covering the games, but I don't think their commentators are up to much. The one thing they do offer is an ex-Rovers player as summariser, something Radio Merseyside could learn from rather than rolling out Andy Doyle every week (we also had to put up with him as compere last night !).
Okey doke. I can't make Dover due to evening commitments so will hopefully be able to listen in tomorrow. thanks!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks to BBTC for highlighting Micky's interview with the Bidston kids.

I've not subscribed to Tranmere player for years, commentary good, but numerous technical problems. Wirral radio online isn't bad at all and means that I can listen to Rovers away games live.

Player
Manager
John King
Wirral radio online isn't bad at all and means that I can listen to Rovers away games live.

Fair enough. I was mostly going on the questions they ask in pre and post match interviews, which are daft a lot of the time.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I've rarely had problems with Tranmere Player until this season and I"ve been using it for years.