• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

mellon out

Player
aldo
Enough is enough . Cant score an dont look likely to eva . Team playin too deep . An thats against 10 bloody men . He has lost the plot . If club cant pay him off i bloody will give my wages to do it . We are a joke at the moment . And in a relagation fight . Whole team is poor.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yep, get him out. We need to kickstart our season again before it’s too late.

Player
aldo
My left testicle could set a team up with more fight an passion than him at the moment. After the team came out at half time mellon was not even talking with em . It was nixon passing on the advice. Says a lot really.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Been reading an interesting article on Sky Sports about the rise of Shrewsbury in the year Paul Hurst has been there since Mellon left the club.

The Chairman of their supporters assc says "we were setting up negatively just trying not to lose and there was so little entertainment on offer"

Paul Hurst the new manager said "The squad I inherited was on the experienced side shall we say, and there were a few who had played higher up for so called bigger clubs"

Hursts's preferred formation of 4-4-2 was tricky to implement as the club's only genuine winger was out injured.

Hurst said "the players had a lot of changes in the previous 15 games. From speaking to them they weren't sure what they were doing from game to game because they were changing each week for the opposition".

Now of course its natural for a new manager to come in and half criticise the old regime but its amazing what a change in management can do some times. Look at Oldham with Wellens in charge. Not that I'm suggesting a change (yet), but some interesting comments.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hurst was not hugely popular at Grimsby, despite getting them back in the football league though I know there has been comment about Shrewsbury setting up negatively under Mellon towards the end of his spell there. I don’t think the parallels are as strong with him managing us and Shrewsbury are as strong as Brabin making the same mistakes as at Luton and Cambridge.

Can understand Watford’s approach and there is an argument that we’ve stuck with managers too long. Getting rid of Sean Dyche, who has gone on to prove himself at Burnley will always raise questions though.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
My concern with Mellon is that his time here has mirrored exactly his previous spell at Shrewsbury, with an excellent first season followed by a rapid decline. At the New Meadow he was given eighteen months to try and turn things round, but never managed it. A related concern is the planning for next season. Pretty soon we will be discussing new deals with the players who are out of contract in the summer. If Micky is responsible for those decisions, I think he could do further damage to the squad when you consider his record in the transfer market since he arrived.

Anyway, we have three wins, two draws and a defeat in our last six games, which is an improvement on the first two months of the season. Nowhere near good enough to meet our expectations at the start of the season, but good enough to take us into the top half of the table if we keep the run (such as it is) going.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We have certainly improved but those first two months were quite shocking, could we have really got any worse? That's a worrying trend RLC although I always remember Shrewsbury fans saying he had no more ideas towards the end of his time there. At times it feels like he's pissing in the wind trying different players and numerous strikers. However we are stuck with it for this season at least so let's just hope we start improving and slowly climbing the table. Ultimately, he's got to get the team scoring goals again otherwise we'll be resigned to mediocrity for the rest of the season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I've not studied Mellon's track record enough to comment on similarities. How many attempts did he have to get Fleetwood into the FL and what ultimately led to his departure there? What went wrong at Barnsley?

There is some suggestion MM has not been responsible for recruiting players. I have no idea of the truth of this, but you might think players a manager willingly brought in might have been given more opportunity to show what they can do; Alabi and Waring come to mind. Or it may be that he makes his mind up about a player very quickly.