• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Mariners v Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Harris did himself no favours when he got sent off at Swindon as people seem to think he's now going to get sent off in every game he plays, which of course is a nonsense. You can't question his work rate or dedication and I think he'd do better in these situations rather than someone like Gilmour who has great potential but not the experience required in some of these games.

I was pretty annoyed at some of the lame excuses last night. It was windy for one! Same for both teams.. Another, the ref. OK, he made a bad call on the handball, but what about the other four goals?!

Some players need to up their game. Caprice has been poor recently, defensively and also going forward. The stepover/backheel trick is getting predictable now. Bakayogo not doing enough. What happened to the surging runs and lighting pace we used to see? DMH not doing enough out wide. Gilmour, sometimes disappears in games. Needs to be more consistent. Jennings, looks jaded at the moment, but does give his all.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Not seen the highlights(?), but even if the defence don’t get lots of protection, they should still be capable of doing their own job which is defending.
The whole team has to be set up to defend properly away from home. You need sufficient defensive minded players on the pitch to start with, and the players should be instructed to be more cautious, ie both full backs should not be bombing forward at the same time. At least one of the full backs should be a natural defender away from home.

Player
Manager
John King
Harris did himself no favours when he got sent off at Swindon as people seem to think he's now going to get sent off in every game he plays, which of course is a nonsense. You can't question his work rate or dedication and I think he'd do better in these situations rather than someone like Gilmour who has great potential but not the experience required in some of these games.

I was pretty annoyed at some of the lame excuses last night. It was windy for one! Same for both teams.. Another, the ref. OK, he made a bad call on the handball, but what about the other four goals?!

Some players need to up their game. Caprice has been poor recently, defensively and also going forward. The stepover/backheel trick is getting predictable now. Bakayogo not doing enough. What happened to the surging runs and lighting pace we used to see? DMH not doing enough out wide. Gilmour, sometimes disappears in games. Needs to be more consistent. Jennings, looks jaded at the moment, but does give his all.
I don't agree about Dmh and Jennings, who both played well last night. Jennings has been in good form recently. But I agree Harris should have started, probably in a three man midfield.

Player
Manager
John King
Gilmour is just a kid learning the game and should not be exposed in a two man midfield; caprice's stepovers are fine in the final third, but not on the halfway line like last night; zoum has been in poor form since his injury.

Player
aldo
the whole team should defend from front to back . we dont close down enough and they try to meney flicks that dont work . and piss about at the back . .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't agree about Dmh and Jennings, who both played well last night. Jennings has been in good form recently. But I agree Harris should have started, probably in a three man midfield.
I like Jennings, I just think he looked jaded last night. Do you really think DMH is doing enough for the team? I've not really seen anything from him since his return. I don't think anyone played particularly well last night. To be honest, I thought it was pretty poor against a struggling side.

Player
Manager
John King
I think DMH has improved since being recalled to the side, and last night was his best game for us this season, the first half anyway. He took on the full back and beat him and delivered several decent crosses. I expect he will keep his place. Several of the attacking players did OK, but that is forgotten when you concede five.

It was a very strange game. We were completely in control for the first half an hour, playing some decent stuff and keeping Grimsby at arm's length, and I was not sure how we found ourselves behind at half time. All five goals were atrocious defensively: for the first, Bakayogo did not do enough to stop the cross; the second epitomised what is wrong with our approach away from home - having just conceded, Caprice tried to beat his man on the halfway line, lost the ball, and we conceded again; the third and fourth were the result of failing to win the first header from routine corners into the box - we massively missed McNulty as Sutton was poor and I don't think heading is Monthe's strength; the fifth was another mistake by Caprice.

There were some positives. McCullough was good and Mullin was excellent and scored a fantastic goal. It is incredible the number of spectacular goals he has scored from outside the box this season, and because of Norwood he is not getting the credit he deserves. Ridehalgh also looked solid when he came on and put in several decent deliveries. I would drop both fullbacks on Sunday and start with Buxton and Liam.

I hope we learn the lessons and approach Notts County differently in a couple of weeks, as I don't enjoy seeing us being caned by fair to middling teams. Mullin deserves to keep his place in the side, and could play as an inside forward in a 451 if Micky wants to tighten things up away from home.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
After Norwood scored that early goal, I did think we would push on from there. It was baffling to be behind at HT. McCullogh is a great player to have in the squad as he consistently churns out good performances. I would agree that the full backs need changing. Buxton is probably the best full back we have and although not Ridehalgh's biggest fan, he can put in a good cross. You wonder how many Mullin would score this season if he played regularly. His return is actually very impressive.