• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Mariners v Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Clear handball, terrible decision. Norwood unlucky not to get a second after a great move and an equally good save. Still too many punts upfront for my liking.

Still goals in this game.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We were managing it well but five minutes of sloppiness and the referee, has cost us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
3-1. Games running away from us here. Poor defending.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great strike from Mullin. 3-2 Rovers back in the game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
More hesitation in the Rovers defence and it’s a penalty to Grimsby. Looked like the correct decision.

Smashed into the top right corner, no chance Davies.

4-2.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
5-2.

Player
ian goodison
I know harris can be a liability at tines but surely being away from home he would have provided some backbone, this is more than a blip now

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
From five games just one win (against a tier six side), yet another multi-goal away defeat and eight points dropped against three teams in the bottom half. Micky will need to gee them up for Saturday, which I would argue is a more important game than this evening's.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Grimsby were on -9 GD before this game. Conceding five is poor to be honest. Need to start picking up points soon. Anyone know why McNulty was replaced?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
From five games just one win (against a tier six side), yet another multi-goal away defeat and eight points dropped against three teams in the bottom half. Micky will need to gee them up for Saturday, which I would argue is a more important game than this evening's.
Is that from the perspective of Rovers needing the money from a good Cup run to maybe fund more players in January to bolster a play-off push or an acceptance that we've been punching above our weight and a play-off place is probably beyond us?

There was always the prospect that we might lose this, but nobody, least of all me, was expecting a hammering of this proportion. While the hand-ball goal was pivotal, the situation was capable of being retrieved at that point, but we seemed to fall apart. There will need to be serious consideration to changing formation and personnel in the next league game and particularly the away games at Notts and Bury which follow.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Ian, it was speculated on the live commentary that this was a tactical move because Grimsby would have the strong wind behind them in the 2nd half and this might have caused McNulty problems with long balls played directly into the heart of our defence. Whether or not this was actually true, or whether it was injury to McNulty, the change caused massive disruption to the defence as evidenced by the complete and total shambles in the defence for Grimsby's third. Two good goals from Rovers, including the great strike from Mullin, cannot disguise the reoccurring weaknesses in the team with poor displays in the defence and the midfield again...from Zoom, at fault for the Grimsby 2nd goal, Caprice, Gilmour (totally anonymous tonight), Jennings (looks absolutely drained) and DMH. In fact even Norwood, despite scoring the opening goal, missed a number of other reasonable chances, which if taken could possibly have turned the game. Before this game Grimsby were lying just above the relegation zone having scored just 14 and conceded 25...this was a game from which we should have taken something. can't wait to hear Mellon's post-match comments after his rather rude response after the Crewe game.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Is that from the perspective of Rovers needing the money from a good Cup run to maybe fund more players in January to bolster a play-off push or an acceptance that we've been punching above our weight and a play-off place is probably beyond us?
Good question, Boz. Given the straight choice between a win tonight and one on Sunday, I'd stick by the cup win. A win tonight would have been unlikely to be critical to our promotion hopes. A win in the cup could bring rich rewards and some much needed cheer at the club. A defeat next weekend could also have a negative effect on our league form. That's my logic, if you still follow me. So, while I'm gutted about tonight, if we fail on Sunday I'll be devastated.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We are powder puff away from home and need a complete rethink. We were too open tonight - two attacking full backs, a kid in centre midfield in a 442. Defensively we were shocking, both full backs poor, Sutton poor, no leadership when McNulty went off. We need to grind out a couple of draws away from home, even if it means playing more negatively. A pity, as some of our football was decent, and we could easily take points from an average Grimsby team. My guess is McNulty was injured.

Player
aldo
not good enough . mm needs to kick a few arses now the midfield have not been playing well and dont seem to close down fast enough . the back 4 dont get lots of protection at times .. the away form is killing us and the amount of goals conceded is worrying to say the least

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not seen the highlights(?), but even if the defence don’t get lots of protection, they should still be capable of doing their own job which is defending.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed Boz. The defence was poor for some of those goals.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Reverting back to the conundrum, I think we need more bodies in midfield. Playing Mullin and Norwood isn’t working even though they both scored last night ! We need to control more of the game from back to front and Norwood has great work rate and can make it work as the lone striker.

I actually quite like Mullin and his goal return has been quite good but I really don’t know how he fits into the team. We also need more from our midfielders. Too many average performers in there at the moment.

Player
ian goodison
surely harris should have started to bolster the midfield you can accept that team at home but away were you need to put a shift in it was too adventurious