• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Maidstone v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree. I am just saying it is dangerous to believe that because half a dozen of the youngsters did well yesterday, they are all ready to be included in the first team squad on a regular basis, when in reality probably only Gumbs and Pilling are.
My original post said "I would argue that Gumbs, Pilling and possibly others ought to be in next season's squad no matter which league we are in." So I think you are actually agreeing with me!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Fair comment RLC. We all know that MM's job is to get us out of this League which will kill the club financially if we stay too long. I agree that the value of one or two of the loanees has been questionable but they did appear, at least on paper, to be more experienced than what was effectively our youth side. On Pilling, he may indeed have potential although these days top goalies tend to be tall and have to be strong in a penalty melee. This is not to say that he could not do a job at our level.
drw, I may not be an expert on goalies, but I was very impressed with Luke Pilling yesterday. His game seemed to have everything. From the moment he dummied an opposition forward in the first couple of minutes, he looked confident. His kicking was assured. He made a great dive to stop a shot on target. Whenever the ball was crossed, he commanded his box, caught the ball in the air and never dropped it even when challenged unfairly. Of course, when he is better known and his opponents know he's short, they may try to take advantage, but from what I saw he looks ready for league football.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was good that Gumbs performance was recognised by the Echo with a MoM award while I read that Pilling featured in the NLP team of the week.

Micky's approach towards the youngsters has frustrated me up to now. Carden did the difficult thing with Mitch Duggan and actually gave him some playing time, initially in midfield and later as right-back. He looked capable in both roles, having spent last season mostly playing at right-back while on loan. However MM almost immediately shipped him out again, with what sounded like a weak excuse about needing to work out what his best position was (what's wrong with versatility?). He's not the finished article and there may be issues with discipline, as he's been sent off a couple of times at Warrington or the manager may have other reservations, but I do feel his energy in midfield could have been useful in the run-in, while had he been available, arguably a better bet for right wing-back than Buxton now Vaughan is out.

Omotola is out on loan with Witton making the play-offs, while Askew seems to have totally disappeared off the radar, was he injured yesterday? Clarke and Croughan made the bench at Chelmsford, but the former went off presumably injured at Maidstone. Of the rest aside from Fleming, who'd played reasonably in a pre-season friendly at Lairds, not seen any of the others in action.

While I don't expect to see those who starred at Maidstone parachuted into the play-off squad, there is a strong case for Gumbs inclusion. Longer term, I hope MM has become more open minded and receptive to giving the youngsters some opportunity. In particular, I would prefer to see a balanced bench with young players rather than a bench full of forwards simply because of their experience and regardless of likely need during a game.

On the short goalie issue, Paul Cooper at Ipswich was a great keeper from that era too despite a lack of inches.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Pilling is actually five foot nine, which is very short for a keeper. Whether that prevents him from having a career I have no idea.

I agree with most of Boz's comments above. I said last summer that Gumbs should have been in the first team squad and I am not sure it was beneficial for him to go out on loan again, particularly to a club at such a low level. Hopefully Gumbs, Duggan and Pilling will be more closely involved with the first team next season. Perhaps our experience with severe injuries this season will influence Mellon's thinking in the future.

In the short term, Gumbs was excellent at right back at Northwich in pre-season and could do a job at wing back. However, would a play-off semi final be the right time to blood him in a genuinely competitive game ? It is a difficult call for the manager. I certainly don't believe Buxton can play as a wing back, as he is not mobile enough.

My concern was that people would get carried away by one good showing by the other youngsters on Saturday. Several of them have potential, but at the moment it is just that - potential. We still need proper squad depth and can't use players from the youth set-up to cover all eventualities.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Just thinking further about this, I think it was a mistake to get rid of the reserve team last season (I think that was Brabin's brainchild).

As we don't have a reserve side, players like Gumbs who are too good for the youth team, but are not ready to play in the first team every week, don't have anywhere to go. They either get sent out on loan, where they are likely to go under the radar and not catch the attention of the first team manager, or they float around the first team squad without getting any regular football.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just seen the match highlights. Whatever else he didn't do, it was a great ball by Dawson to set up Illesamni's goal.

I agree with RLC regarding a reserve team. Seem to recall we were told the youngsters at the time were given a say in whether to have a reserve side or go out on loan for experience and they preferred the latter.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, Boz, I've just seen it again. It was a beautifully weighted ball from Dawson, which completely wrongfooted their defence.

Re the reserve team, we couldn't justify one last season as GB's policy was quality before quantity. We had a very small squad, supplemented as required by loanees. During last summer, GB built a bigger group of contracted players. At the same time, we should have formed a reserve team playing midweek games to keep the squad members match fit. At the moment, we have 26 pros on our books IN ADDITION TO the side which played on Saturday.

I am not against letting a few youngsters go out on loan to get "first-team" experience, but we have so many senior pros we need a reserve team.

BTW, I heard recently that Chelsea have over 30 players out on loan - more than we have in total on our books. They have their own manager, who keeps an eye on their progress. With so many players to watch, I am not surprised it's a full=time job.