• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Maidenhead v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Serious problems now, as our poor form and inconsistent performances are persistent with no sign of any improvement.

It's a really difficult dilemma for Mark Palios. Can he afford to sack Micky, as there is no money left for new players and his payoff will break the budget? But if Micky stays and form does not improve, gates will surely suffer.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
So frustrating we have a good team . But most of us have said last season . an in summer an at the start of this season. that the midfield is toothless and not creative no fight an no bollock s . Harris is are best terrier but needs help . Piss poor

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
You have to wonder what the knock-on effect of Mellon dropping Cook last season, and apparently trying to get rid of him over the summer, has been. Things are clearly not right in the dressing room.

I am not suggesting the player is blameless, far from it - apparently he did not look too bothered tonight - but there must be an impact on team morale with this kind of stuff.

drwhoman

The line up is similar to last season and yet things are not working for some reason. The obvious answer is that Micky has lost the dressing room but who knows. The disappointment of last season? Maybe Tollitt coming back will put a spark into the team but it all seems very flat. It does not help when there are questionmarks against the recruitment policy - Dawson, Rokka, Alibi, an injury prone Wallace at least.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Troubling times and we must be a source of amusement for the division at moment.
The buck stops with the manager.....it always does.
But surely the players need to look at themselves.
I'm sure there's a few of us that have played to a reasonable standard.
I consider that I have myself and whatever the results, whatever the extent of the 'bad patch', you played with a pride in your own performance so, at the very least, you could look yourself in the mirror and your teammates in the face. It was such pride that got Nors his goal on Saturday, he wanted it.
From the reports it doesn't sound like many of the team can do that in the morning.
Yes, strange substitutions, players out of position etc but that's no excuse for not pulling your tripe out while wearing the shirt.
If the bond/trust between manager and players has indeed gone and the players continue to perform as though that is the case then the season could be over after the weekend.
So so disappointing for us all to be posting as we are.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It didn't sound as though many of them were bothered tonight. There was a real lack of fight from far too many of the side. Some are not natural battlers, but even those who normally have a bit of needle in their game seemed strangely off colour.

It's clear Mellon has issues with Cook, which should have been set aside once it was clear Stockton was on his way. Despite his poor current form, there aren't many better strikers in this league and we're just not playing to his strengths in the current set up.

My starting point at the moment is that we must preseve our staus as a National League side and not drop down to the North, as I'm not at all confident we could recover from that. In that context, a draw at Maidenhead would have been acceptable as part of a process of grinding our way up the league. Until the substitutions, it sounded like Rovers were the better of two average at best sides. Dunn and Alabi added nothing to the party, while Harris should have replaced another midfielder not Cook.

Just seen the interview with MM which Ian has posted. It didn't sound like he has any answers to our current failings. It doesn't seem like we've the funds to make any changes to the squad, so aside from a swap or sale there's not that much to play around with. In that position, how many capable managers at this level would want to be in charge at Rovers? I'm really unsure as to the merits of getting rid of Micky because, bad as things are currently, would we really attract anyone better?

Player
Manager
John King
Just seen the interview with MM which Ian has posted. It didn't sound like he has any answers to our current failings. It doesn't seem like we've the funds to make any changes to the squad, so aside from a swap or sale there's not that much to play around with. In that position, how many capable managers at this level would want to be in charge at Rovers? I'm really unsure as to the merits of getting rid of Micky because, bad as things are currently, would we really attract anyone better?

If we sacked him and failed to replace him, there is a real danger we would be the next Stockport or York. I am sure that will influence Palios's decision, although financially he may not be in a position to remove him anyway.

We probably have to accept this season is a write-off and re-assess when Mellon and various players reach the end of their contracts. This seems a much worse situation than we were in even during the worst periods under Brabin, because of the flaws in the squad and the absence of funds to improve things. Dark times.

J

Jhd

Never have I seen a team at this level so unfit at least four of your players are over weight and this told in the end .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we accept that we are stuck with the current setup of players and management, I really hope MM starts to change things. The 532 and wing backs isn't working. We aren't getting the best of out the players. Surely he must look to change things around before the situation gets worse.

People say he's too stubborn to change but he clearly has to see this current setup is not working. It's not rocket science any of this, but we need width in the team and we need service up to the front two. I've always said defensively, we'll be fine and we don't and won't concede many this season so lets work on what happening in the final third.

Whats happening to all this hard work in training? what are they actually working on? They should all be looking back at previous games and highlighting the obvious failings and working to put them right. I see no improvement in the team one week to the next.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Just seen Ian's post myself and watched the interview.
In fairness to Mickey, as you might expect, he shoulders the blame.
But he did hint at the players perhaps not putting that extra % effort in and towards the end he described himself as devastated and, I think, livid (which suggests he feels the players have let him down).
Ultimately, he's one of us. Tranmere to his core. And it will be hurting him.
I was banging the drum for Brabin to go even when he was winning but as bad as things are at the moment I can't muster support for a Mickey out campaign.
Yes, we wanted to be champions. That may already be out of reach but a top seven spot is easily attainable and I think Mickey will remain to try and achieve that next best thing.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You know, even the best teams have off days and you wouldn't mind so much if that was the case but we've been awful from the start of the season (10 games in) and still no improvement. The nature of the defeats is worrying indeed. How can Micky turn this around and get the players playing again? Will we be another 10 games in and still no further forward? See you all tomorrow, my heads hurting.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
In 94 minutes of football we have not tested their goalkeeper once! On a few occasions in the first half we got into some decent positions where we could and should have got some shots away, given the weather conditions, but we chose to pass it! We pumped the ball forward to Cook in the hope of a flick on but he was dominated tonight by their 2 huge centre halves and looked void of all confidence, as did a few others may I add. Even when he went off we still pumped it long to the physical presence that is Jack Dunn!!!! The pitch was the widest I have seen anywhere yet we were laboured getting it wide.

You're taught from a young age to win your personal battles; I don't think a single Tranmere player won their battles tonight! I have to disagree with a couple of comments suggesting that the players weren't interested and are not arsed. I didn't see that from where I was stood. In fact, Jennings and Norwood were having a right pop at each other and you could hear Norburn berating Cook for not laying the ball off. I just think there is a severe lack of confidence in the squad and they are unsure what style of play works best for that group of players we've got; slightly confusing given that it's virtually the same side as last season!

Thought McNulty and Gumbs did ok, Midfield were poor and got totally outbattled tonight and the front 2 didn't offer much. Dunn and Alabi offered absolutely nothing when they came on although it was a difficult game to come on in fairness.

Disappointing to say the least but I'm not convinced getting rid if Mickey is the answer. Who better is available?

Player
Jonny Morrisey
An interesting point to note was that Mickey never applauded the fans tonight at the end of the game. He sent the players over but disappeared off to the changing room. Not like him that!!

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks for the report squaddie. It is interesting that you highlight a lack of confidence, rather than a lack of effort, as the major problem. That is the what i have observed myself in the games I have seen. We go again at ebbsfleet.....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Are there any real leaders on the pitch? Someone has to rally them round and get them going again. From the comments on the radio they were saying no one was prepared to take it on and have a go. This of course would make sense if their is a real lack of confidence throughout.

I just feel there's something else going on which I can't put my finger on.

To not have a meaningful effort on goal all game against a bunch of part timers is very worrying indeed.

Ebbsfleet will be no different.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Thanks WS for putting a different complexion on things.
Can tolerate lack of confidence. That can change in a game.
But not apathy or lack of effort.
From what you saw it was the former.
Our guest poster, presumably a home fan, makes a point. Can think of three of the players he refers to, but the fourth?

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
In 94 minutes of football we have not tested their goalkeeper once! On a few occasions in the first half we got into some decent positions where we could and should have got some shots away, given the weather conditions, but we chose to pass it! We pumped the ball forward to Cook in the hope of a flick on but he was dominated tonight by their 2 huge centre halves and looked void of all confidence, as did a few others may I add. Even when he went off we still pumped it long to the physical presence that is Jack Dunn!!!! The pitch was the widest I have seen anywhere yet we were laboured getting it wide.

You're taught from a young age to win your personal battles; I don't think a single Tranmere player won their battles tonight! I have to disagree with a couple of comments suggesting that the players weren't interested and are not arsed. I didn't see that from where I was stood. In fact, Jennings and Norwood were having a right pop at each other and you could hear Norburn berating Cook for not laying the ball off. I just think there is a severe lack of confidence in the squad and they are unsure what style of play works best for that group of players we've got; slightly confusing given that it's virtually the same side as last season!

Thought McNulty and Gumbs did ok, Midfield were poor and got totally outbattled tonight and the front 2 didn't offer much. Dunn and Alabi offered absolutely nothing when they came on although it was a difficult game to come on in fairness.

Disappointing to say the least but I'm not convinced getting rid if Mickey is the answer. Who better is available?

Player
Jonny Morrisey
From the comments on the radio they were saying no one was prepared to take it on and have a go.

This is true
From the comments on the radio they were saying no one was prepared to take it on and have a go.

This was true of the performance last night. The players would move forward with the ball and then stop, look left or right, or backwards to lay it off. With the playing conditions as they were last night, we should have been driving into the box looking to get a shot off or draw a foul but I can't remember us doing that once! Can't help thinking we could have done with a Ben Tollit last night just to have a go at them!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
On reflection I have always liked Micky and was very much in the camp of its still early days. However 1. we're almost a quarter into the season and 2. Brabin was sacked at this point last season, even though we were 7 points better off than we are now.

Nigel Adkins was at the game last night. Whilst it may be totally innocent, If MP can live with another season in this league then he may as well keep Micky. But crowds will no doubt fall and the whole feeling around the place would be negative.

People keep saying its the players fault - and I wouldn't disagree. However lets face it, its managers that are sacked and not players.

Furthermore you will often see a new manager come in and with the same players, get good results. No-one knows exactly why but clearly a new voice and fresh approach can do wonders. You feel for Micky - taking my Son to Wembley last year was a great day out and one he will remember - but its a results business and there is no room for sentiment in the game these days. MM I fear has ran out of ideas.

I'd give him until Saturday and if we lose I think he should be fired. Ebbsfleet are another team that came up who we should be beating. Their unbeaten run came to an end last night at home to Aldershot and if we can't beat them then his position should seriously be considered.

I just don't think he has it in him to turn things round. Yes the players are to blame for a lot of this but its managers that are replaced and as I say, it wouldn't surprise me if a new manager came in and with the same players, turned it around.

P.s - people need to forget about Tollit - yes an important player but we're not a one man team and can't afford to be. It could take him ages to get back to his previous level and other teams will target him. What is more worrying is the signings MM has made - are they contributing? Dawson, Rokka, Alabi, Wallace, McEveley (came with an injury pronce record and has now missed games), Dunn. Big question marks against all of these.