• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Maidenhead v Rovers

Player
aldo
Well we are staying close bye with freinds. So are already for tuesday . Realy looking forward to the game . Hope we stay with the team that finished on saturday and the same formation. Going for a good 3-0 hope noors scores again with dunn an hoping Norborn scoring to

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The first game I will miss this season. Given our inconsistency both in team selection and performances, I have no idea how we will line up or whether we will perform. The big question for me is whether Dunn or Jennings starts behind the strikers: I would opt for the latter as I don't think Jack will be good enough over ninety minutes. I would go with the following team:

Davies
Buxton Sutton Big Mac McEveley Ridehalgh
Harris Norburn
Jennings
Cook Norwood

In reality, I think Hughes will start in place of Jennings and I would not be completely surprised to see Pongo preferred to Cook, which would be crazy in my view.

Prediction. With another long trip on Saturday, I think a couple of hundred Rovers fans will be present. As for the result, who knows, although it is vital we now find some consistency.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with RLC that Waring may be preferred to Cook up front and being diplomatic, it would be daft to leave our most experienced striker on the bench in favour of an inexperienced youngster who is not yet fully match fit. Waring has potential but I don't think it would do him any favours starting in this game, have him on the bench as an option.

Don't see Hughes being left out of an away game, we need a defensive midfielder. Equally, can't omit Harris as that would leave a midfield without any bite. So if 5 at the back remains the manager's formation, and I can see the logic with our current fit squad, then no space for Connor Jennings. That is a shame as he's one of our best players.

McEveley went off injured at the weekend, if he's a doubt then could move Buxton into the central trio or play Gumbs, assuming the 532 formation stays.

Very hard to predict this result as the hosts have been as inconsistent as Rovers. Prolific striker Dave Tarpey has moved to Barnet, but they still seem to be capable of getting goals. Score draw.

Player
Manager
John King
In a three man midfield I am not sure you need Hughes as well as Harris, even away from home. However, I agree that he will probably start ahead of Jennings.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In a three man midfield I am not sure you need Hughes as well as Harris, even away from home. However, I agree that he will probably start ahead of Jennings.
Don't disagree. I also think Jennings is more likely to contribute defensively than Norburn, but after Ollie's MoM showing at the weekend, he deserves to keep his place.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I really cannot see Pongo starting ahead of Cook after a 35-min cameo. The really would be madness and would suggest a definite rift between Cook and Mellon.

I'd like to see a different system used as I believe we are not getting the best out of our players.
What about a 442 diamond as I'm not convinced we can play the 532 that well with the wing backs.

Probably a little narrow but until we get the likes of Tollitt back I don't think we have the quality out wide. Dunn looks better in the Jennings role behind the front two and the other wingers we have on the books are not getting games at the moment.

Something like:

100917221526.png

Player
Manager
John King
I like the midfield diamond. It was not popular when Mellon used it when he first arrived last season but we ground out a lot of results playing that way.

That system would bring the best out of Jennings and Buxton is more comfortable as a conventional right back. However, I can't see us switching from 532 tomorrow.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
My recollection was that Micky often deployed Tollit at the apex of the diamond, when the feeling was Ben was better playing out wide. In current circumstances, a stronger argument can be made for using the diamond, but think it's unlikely.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I too like the diamond - the only concern is whether it suits someone like Cook who thrives on service from wide areas and crosses into the box. He's had a bit of that this season from Ridehalgh in a 5-3-2 but still nowhere near enough and he'd probably get less in a diamond.

I think we should make the most of Dunn's decent cameo on Saturday and give him another run out. Like others though I can't see Micky changing the formation.

As far as he is concerned, our only problem is missing chances. I still don't think we are creating any where nea r enough and playing Hughes, Harris & Norburn in a middle 3 isn't attacking enough. Ok we're away from home tomorrow but lets face it, we need to be beating the likes of Maidenhead.

I'm thinking very little changes - might not be any at all. If he drops Cook for Waring then to me that's a bad decision. Cookie hasn't done great of late but we're not playing to his strengths.

We have to win this because if we don't, the momentum from a win on Saturday will be lost. I'd take a draw at somewhere like Dagenham or Orient, but Maidenhead we should be beating easily.

M

Mal

I really cannot see Pongo starting ahead of Cook after a 35-min cameo. The really would be madness and would suggest a definite rift between Cook and Mellon.

I'd like to see a different system used as I believe we are not getting the best out of our players.
What about a 442 diamond as I'm not convinced we can play the 532 that well with the wing backs.

Probably a little narrow but until we get the likes of Tollitt back I don't think we have the quality out wide. Dunn looks better in the Jennings role behind the front two and the other wingers we have on the books are not getting games at the moment.

Something like:

100917221526.png

I think any system needs players to approach gameswith passion and 110% effort ( i.e. going the extra mile). Norwood showed that on Saturday. I think our opponents all put in that extra effort purely because of who they are playing. I think tranmere are a little pedestrian at times and too intricate. Roll on Tollit....

Player
Manager
John King
On reflection, I agree with Sparky about Dunn. You should play your in-form players, particularly when you are in a poor run. However, in reality I don't think Mellon will start with either him or Jennings.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think this is more a case of what we'd like to see and not what we have to put up with. As RLC mentioned a few days ago, Dunn may be more of an impact player.

Guess we'll have to put up with the 532 for now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Can you class Dunn as an in-form player on the strength of one good 30 minutes though?

Player
Manager
John King
Can you class Dunn as an in-form player on the strength of one good 30 minutes though?
In our current form, yes !

Seriously, it would at least be worth seeing if he can replicate that performance tomorrow night. It is not as if the side is full of standout individuals at the moment.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Lol.

If we had another home game, I would be tempted to start Dunn. Unsure he'd contribute enough in terms his work-rate and defensive ability, which would be tested more away from PP. However it might be worth a try...

Player
Manager
John King
Apparently McEveley is injured and has not travelled, which means either Duggan or Gumbs will start.

Player
aldo
Thats if he stays with 3 at the back . Could move sutton in middle an go 442 . But would be good to giving one of the young lads a go . Could be a challenge tomorrow got gales an heavy rain forcast for the night should be fun . Will hope to see a good turn out from the swa . Lets get the win be happy in mm we trust

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Looking forward to going to this one tonight, a new ground that I've not yet visited and hopefully 3 points brought back to the Wirral! Maidenhead made a decent start but have since lost their talisman Dave Tarpey to Barnet and haven't been as affective since, although I'm sure they'll be delighted with their start.

I think the boys will be on a high after the weekend and hopefully that result will allow us to find a bit if consistency and we can push on now. It's such a tight league at this early stage and a decent run will see us right up there. I'd stick with the same 11 that started on Saturday and I see us coming away with a 0-2 win #SWA

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree with your views and your hopes for tonight. I had hoped to go, but I'm in the middle of moving to Kent this week. I'm particularly gutted about having to miss Ebbsfleet on Saturday, but hopefully will get to more away games in the southeast once I've settled in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That's good news BBTC, as we need a few more roving reporters.