lord norwood

1 Oct 2005
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I can believe this story has legs. Wednesday desperately need a striker they can afford in the upcoming transfer window. Nors is on form and presumably affordable, as his transfer value will be zero in a few months. I agree that at his age, James would jump at the move to a big club two divisions higher - although both clubs could be playing in the same league next year. ;)

I think it depends on how much money is on offer whether Rovers accept or let the contract run down. Also, if the player really wants to go, it may be better to cash in now. Hopefully, at least some of the money can be spent on a replacement, so it won't adversely affect our promotion push.

Ironically, if we do progress on Monday, the money will be less of an issue and we could hold out. But I think if Wednesday make a fair offer and James can't wait, we'd be better letting him go. Whatever happens, he'll remain a Rovers legend.

30 Jun 2008
Agree with you BBTC. If Wednesday do want him it will be early in the window as I imagine they will not want him cup tied. This might give us some leverage in the price. With all due respect to our team, I doubt if it matters much if he plays or not if we end up facing Spurs. Our optimum result would be a draw and another game in London but Spurs are not a run of the mill Premiership side. I would be pleasantly surprised if it was not a damage limitation exercise. Negative perhaps but trying to be realistic. I imagine MM will already have thoughts on a possible replacement.

Boz

30 Sep 2005
Player
Iain Hume
I wouldn't begrudge Norwood a move, after his heroics dragging us over the line and back into the FL. Wonder whether he could do better than Wednesday though, a lot of dissatisfaction with the manager there atm.

1 Oct 2005
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I wouldn't begrudge Norwood a move, after his heroics dragging us over the line and back into the FL. Wonder whether he could do better than Wednesday though, a lot of dissatisfaction with the manager there atm.
Taking on a player aged 28 who only scored his first league goal in August, moving him up two divisions into a struggling side and expecting him to carry on scoring straight away is risky - for club and player. I wouldn't expect any bigger clubs to come in for him in January.

15 Mar 2010
Player
Jason Koumas
Taking on a player aged 28 who only scored his first league goal in August, moving him up two divisions into a struggling side and expecting him to carry on scoring straight away is risky - for club and player. I wouldn't expect any bigger clubs to come in for him in January.
I think it is highly likely Championship / top League One clubs will make bids for him in January. 300,000 - 500,000 is peanuts to some of them, so what would they have to lose by stealing a march on their rivals ?

Boz

30 Sep 2005
Player
Iain Hume
I agree that bigger clubs may not come in for him, but as RLC suggests, there may be more interest than simply the Owls. If that is the case, then they may provide a more stable environment than Hillsborough could turn out for James.

30 Jun 2008
Fair comment Boz. If people are desperate they will take a punt even if he is inexperienced at a higher level. Cook is doing ok albeit in L1. In that regard, there are a few money bags in that league.