• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Liverpool friendly?

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
No mention yet of the Liverpool friendly pre-season. I think Palios mentioned that this was a real money spinner for us so it would be a real shame if it didn't happen. I assume nothing will be announced until after the CL final.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we are contractually guaranteed the fixture, in return for Liverpool under-23s using Prenton Park.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Wondering if the announcement of the Wigan fixture on 14th July suggests that the Liverpool one won't take place? I'm guessing that only 10th/11th are now the only viable options with Liverpool's US tour starting on 22nd, although last year's fixture was on Wednesday 12th July.

drwhoman

It would obviously be an under strength Liverpool side but the likes of Keita might drag a few Reds along.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Have to hope it's still happening. Can't see Fleetwood, Rochdale and Wigan drawing the crowds.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
If it comes off, kopites play their under 18 please.
Last season was embarrassing. We didn't see the ball.

Player
Manager
John King
If it comes off, kopites play their under 18 please.
Last season was embarrassing. We didn't see the ball.
We need them to play their first team so we get a full house and make plenty of dough. There is no purpose to the fixture otherwise. The 250-300,000 pounds we make on this game is of enormous importance to us.

I hate this fixture but it is a financial necessity.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
we all hate the fixture . but it makes loads of money . for the budget and the club i would get the blue noses aswell if i could . give the reds the whole stadium 16000 x £20 you do the maths

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We made a profit of £150,000 from the game last year it is important they have first team squad players involved

M

Mal

I don't hate the fixture. It is a game of football. And you get to see some up and coming players. And the money is very useful for the Club.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't hate the fixture. It is a game of football.
I have got sympathy with those who don't enjoy it. It is not nice seeing our ground 'invaded' by a load of tellyclapping Liverpool 'fans', many of whom are parading round Birkenhead in their replica shirts today.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
There's no denying that if kopites put out a half decent team then it's a nice little cash cow for us.
But if they do, let's not kid ourselves that the fixture contributes anything by way of pre-season preparation for the players, though it probably marginally beats running up and down sandhills while someone dangles a football on a string.
So I concede it's a necessary evil.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Game with LFC confirmed for 11th July. Wonder if Karius will play? ;)

M

Mal

they are as entitled as Tranmere fans parading around anywhere in the UK wearing the Wirral and B&M shirts. Banter is fine. count me out of the 'all' hating.

"I have got sympathy with those who don't enjoy it. It is not nice seeing our ground 'invaded' by a load of tellyclapping Liverpool 'fans', many of whom are parading round Birkenhead in their replica shirts today."

Player
Manager
John King
they are as entitled as Tranmere fans parading around anywhere in the UK wearing the Wirral and B&M shirts. Banter is fine. count me out of the 'all' hating.

"I have got sympathy with those who don't enjoy it. It is not nice seeing our ground 'invaded' by a load of tellyclapping Liverpool 'fans', many of whom are parading round Birkenhead in their replica shirts today."
My point was that they are Wirral residents who support the team of another city rather than their local club, but that seems to have gone over your head. Oh, and where did I say I 'hated' anybody ?

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think you can also differentiate between Rovers fans who wear the shirt wherever but including at games and those who follow the Reds, but have got no closer to seeing their team live than a televised game. As RLC infers, it’s a bit infuriating that so many locals take their support elsewhere.

This friendly game is a good example of symbiosis, a win-win for both. Liverpool fans get to see their heroes in the flesh, Rovers make decent money out of the venture.

drwhoman

Agree Boz and we do make money out of the Pool Under 23s playing at Prenton Park. The world we live in these days. That said, there situation was not vastly different fifty years ago. Many of my Bebington relatives followed Rovers and Everton. However, the replica shirts are an irritant these days identifying a football identity separate to that of Rovers. No replica shirts back then!

Player
aldo
again its all about the money for rovers and dam right to screw em for loads of it then move on . lets hope we can get on or two of there kids on loan for the season . and hope for another 13k plus gate thats over 200k to the kitty