• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Lincoln

drwhoman

Won the EFL Cup. Beat Shrews 1-0. I am sure one or two clubs will be looking closely at their Manager. A PE teacher who was at Braintree?

drwhoman

Danny Cowley. Mind you, I have just read the report and that big lump Rhead should have been sent off for flattening the goalie. He only got a yellow. Ref must have been ex NL!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The referee was one Gavin Ward, who has not been a friend to Rovers over the years. Though he probably looks half decent by comparison with some we encounter now.

Some talk that the Cowley's may be in line for the Ipswich job with Mick McCarthy finishing at the end of this season. Noteworthy that he's got the Imps as play-off contenders, whereas Forest Green are down near the bottom.

drwhoman

The fact that Lincoln have a history helps them. 28,000 from the town were at the Final. I have vague recollections of them playing Liverpool in the old Second Division c 1959! FGR are a rich man's plaything and will not make the Championship as the owner mooted after last season!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think their decent turnout for the final reflects that they'd never played at Wembley before too.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, I think it is Lincoln's lack of recent history that boosted the numbers. Most people from the city will never have visited Wembley before.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
drwhoman, Danny Cowley was indeed a PE teacher who got Braintree into the play-offs. He then left teaching to take over Lincoln City, leading them to the NL championship and the FA Cup quarter-finals in his first season. I'm amazed he has not been poached by a higher club. Ipswich is near home, a big club (but not too big). I reckon it would be a good fit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, I don’t think it will be long before the offers start coming in for Cowley. He’s doing a fantastic job at Lincoln.

drwhoman

I always remember them going bust in 1961 at a time when there was no relegation from what is now Div Two but a vote was taken amongst the league clubs as to whether the bottom four would stay in the League or not. They usually did. For a club to leave the league for financial reasons was quite rare. The current club apparently started life in the back room of a pub! New Brighton left the League about 1951 I think.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Gives a lot of clubs hope that amidst the madness of modern day football, you can achieve!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Heard some interesting stories about their manager. Nothing I would be stupid enough to repeat on here, I hasten to add! However, there is no doubt that Stanley and John Coleman are a pretty much perfect match. I would hate him to ever manage Rovers; something that I remember being part of popular discussion around the Parry era. Put it this way, I'd start watching my adopted "local" team (Accrington Stanley) if he ever moved to PP!