• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Les - Keep or Sack?

Les Parry: Keep or Sack?

• Keep

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Sack

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

DIW

Player
Goodison
Now that we have secured League 1 status for next season we come to the question of what to do about Les.

I'm torn. His tactical ineptitude, and complete inflexibility about the system has, at times, this season been a rope around our necks. However, we have survived and I do feel that he has put together a reasonable squad together, that, with a couple of decent (or lucky) additions could see us push towards the upper half of the table.

Mentally we also have problems. Clearly we can play well against the better sides in the league taking points off 4 of the top 6 at home but losing what would appear to be home bankers. This needs addressing before next season.

On the whole I (and I haven't said this much this season) would be inclined to give Les another go, if we can keep the majority of this seasons squad. Hopefully he will have learned from a full season in the hot seat and be able to push on back to at least mid table and a cup run next season.

Thoughts?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am as torn on the decision myself, for all the reasons you give, but ultimately I think his future will be decided by the outcome of the American takeover. If PJ stays, Les stays. If the Americans come in, he almost certainly goes.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
some good players have been brought in but the football and tactics this season have been dire so i would like to see a new manager given a go though as said above if pj stays so will les

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tough one, as their are many things to consider. He's kept us up which of course is great, but I've witnessed some dire games this season. I don't like his tactics (playing lone striker) and his team selections, but we also seem to have improved away from home having picked up some excellent away points.

I'm always banging on about managers needing more time, so I only think it's fair to say he needs to be given a decent run as manager to prove what he can do. Next season will be a big test for him. If he has another season like this, I think it will be time to think about replacing him, but if he improves on this season, it's only fair to keep giving him a chance.

So I say keep for now, with a little bit of reluctance thrown in.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I would lean towards keeping him, but voted not sure.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm always banging on about managers needing more time, so I only think it's fair to say he needs to be given a decent run as manager to prove what he can do. Next season will be a big test for him.

Most fans would agree that we have a decent core of players now, and the majority of the key ones are under contract for next season. All credit to Les for building that squad, particularly the signings we made in the January window.

On that basis, I think it is reasonable to expect the playing style to improve next year, and 2011-12 certainly will be a big test for Les. Let's hope he steps up to the plate.

M

Mal

I did think that maybe we need someone with more coaching experience. Now I'm thinking that since he has brought in permanents and is using youth as well, that maybe we now have the foundation to move forward. We didn't really have a team to speak of at the start. It takes time to build a team and I think changing things just as they look to be improving would be a mistake. Les has also learned a lot....

I believe we should consolidate and move on - and also see what happens withh the American Dream.

Seems strange that there isn't more of a positive set of comments given that we avoided relegation for certain on Saturday.

O

OneNightInGayParis

To his massive credit, Les has put together a good set of players on a shoestring. Even more impressive is that he has done it from the worse-than-standing start that was left by Barnes. Tactically, there are problems and we don't really sem to have moved on from the "backs to the wall" mentality that was required to survive last season. The bizarre thing is that there are a number of skilful footballers in the squad, but we appear not to want to play a more expansive game which, imo, would be playing to our strengths. Saturday's team selection and performance does give me hope, though. Eternally the optimist, I think the penny will drop and we can push on next season. I sincerely hope we can keep the squad intact and play a less negative game ... and let's give Les the chance to do it!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Fans have short memories. Given the problems Les inherited last season, the "great escape" was a minor miracle. This season, we had the worst run of injuries I can remember.

On the plus side, Les clearly knows how to handle, motivate and lift players. Our best results seemed to follow our worst!

He has adapted well to the limited budget by bringing in players from overseas and Ireland with some success. He has used the loan system intelligently, not just for short-term emergencies but to unearth permanent signings (Labadie, Kay, Weir).

I agree he has a lot to learn - how to break down packed defences, how to change the course of a game, how to play more consistently. Our record against teams below us is dire. We never win once we go behind. We never put a decent run together. But Les is not stupid and will be working on this.

Even if you are not a 100% fan of Les's, it would be folly to replace him at this stage. Let's face it, who would join us that we could afford? We got no interest when JB left, so we'd get even less after they had seen how Les had been treated.

Let's see how things progress next season with a more settled squad and one or two signings to freshen things up.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Fans have short memories. Given the problems Les inherited last season, the "great escape" was a minor miracle. This season, we had the worst run of injuries I can remember.

...really?

agree with the rest mostly, though

Rob

Player
Clint Hill
Sack - a couple of decent wins doesnt excuse the rest of the terrible performances and games where we have thrown it all away.

The players have responsibility but ultimately the Managers head is on the chopping block.

TRFC are capable of being far higher in the league than they are at the moment. I dont expect them to be pushing for playoffs but top half isnt unrealistic at all with some of the players we have.

If Parry is in charge again next season we will have 40 games of 8-1-1 hoofball until we are mathematically safe at which time he might let the players actually play how they want to with a bit of creativity.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm really not sure - like most sometimes I have been furious with certain tactics, player selections etc - but have enjoyed quite a few good times this season. Can we ask for any more on our resources ?

He has brought in some good players and unearthed some gems, but I still have my doubts he can get the best out of them and whether a better manager could take us into the top half.

If I was pushed for a decision - I would say give him another rolling year contract but if things dont go well at the start of next season, move him on.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
One of the most frustrating aspects of this season is our results against top/bottom sides. We usually play really well against the teams that are above us and play terrible against the teams below us.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
One of the most frustrating aspects of this season is our results against top/bottom sides. We usually play really well against the teams that are above us and play terrible against the teams below us.

Yeah, and I think it gives some fans a false sense of underachievement. "Look what we're capable of" etc.

Given the nature of Parry's one-size-fits-all system, coupled with training that is focused heavily on what we do off the ball rather than on it, we're tactically better suited to frustrating and countering the better teams than we are at breaking down the worse ones.

Ultimately Les needs to realise that playing the same way against every team home or away is going to yield inconsistent results. The stalemates at PP where we line up negatively against teams who are there to play for a point need to end.

Although he has generally done well in the transfer market, Les has been quite lucky to have Cressa, Taylor and Jenno at his disposal this year. Previous managers (Barnes, Ronnie) were never quite so lucky in this sense.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Barnes played Cressa and had Taylor available to him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Les dropped Cresswell for Zoum when he took over, Aaron also played a few games for Ronnie as I recall. I'm not sure that the younger players available to Les, possibly excepting Jenno, are significantly better than those who previous bosses could pick.

As for the question, I voted unsure. If we win one of our two remaining games, then Les will have achieved roughly the same points per game average as last season, when he was starting with the ill-balanced squad cobbled together by Barnes, rather than one of his own making. Not great progress. There also seemed to be more games where our performance could be labelled as rubbish than last season. However, Les does seem quite good at talent spotting and we've the nucleus of a decent squad for next season. Better the devil you know...

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Have,nt. seen many games this season but i could see the confidence returning ...
who,s under contract for next season and does that mean rebuilding ....

i think lp deserves another chance for next season.... ,not only will it be his third in charge but his knowledge as a manager of this league must be as good as any,

lets not forget any manager coming into manage tranmere will probably have more than tens years experience and maybe les,s newer approach will pay dividends next season
either way with pj cutting the cloth/ pulling the rug ,is there any point in altering the management situ under such lottery conditions ,certainly not stable imop....

M

Mal

And Les did better than the non-Physios of Swindon, Dagenham, Plymouth, Bristol Rovers, Walsall and potentially Oldham, Notts County and Yeovil, and even Hartlepool and Sheffield Wednesday if results go Tranmere's way.....

Player
Liam Palmer
I just typed a lengthy reply which disappeared.

In summary: Keep Les, good job in difficult circumstances (not all of his own making). Alternatives are either no better or unaffordable.

Player
Manager
John King
If we win one of our two remaining games, then Les will have achieved roughly the same points per game average as last season, when he was starting with the ill-balanced squad cobbled together by Barnes, rather than one of his own making. Not great progress.

Agreed. This season Les has taken 53 points from 44 games (1.2 points per game), last 44 points from 35 (1.26 points per game). So, depending on your perspective, we either overachieved last season or haven't really progressed this season. That said, I couldn't actually complain about being nine points clear of relegation with two games to play.

Somebody referred to Les failing to move on from the 'backs to the wall' mentality of last season, and I think this is our major problem. Les doesn't seem to trust the players enough to simply go out and play, even against crap opposition: okay, you may be defensively more vulnerable at home if you are more adventurous, and you will lose a few games, but we lost at home to Brentford, Hartlepool, Yeovil, Bristol, Notts etc. anyway.

Hopefully the stability that having a settled squad will give us next season can compensate for some of our deficiencies.