• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Lairds v Rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don't think it is an issue. Gumbs has already played several first team games at centre back and if he was asked to fill in alongside McNulty I don't think there would be a problem. Same with Duggan at wing back / centre midfield.
I'm with Boz on this one. Gumbs has only played twice for Rovers - a cameo at Luton in 2014/15 and the full game at Maidstone in April. Additionally, he's played a few dozen games on loan, but at a lower level. Playing with McNulty at least for half a game would surely be instructive.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I still don't think we would learn much from Gumbs playing half a game in a pre-season friendly. I have seen enough of him to have no doubts he could cope in the first team if he had ti fill in, and no doubt MM feels the same.

There are all sorts of other permutations he could try but won't necessarily be able to in pre-season matches.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
One game less to try any permutations, as the Ashton friendly called off, due to our injuries.Though apparently it was going to be a team of youngsters anyway...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes I think injuries to some of the youngsters. I hope we have better luck with injuries this season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yes I think injuries to some of the youngsters. I hope we have better luck with injuries this season.

something not right about this cancellation as youth team have a game tonight at solar campus

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I do find the whole cancellation puzzling. We should have enough youngsters bolstered by a few first team fringe players to put out a side against them, though personally I'd have rather have it used as a full practice game. Assuming the Bury friendly will be a dry run for the opening fixture, that only really leaves Fleetwood to experiment.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I, too, find it incomprehensible that we could not field a team of youth players (who played and won tonight at Connahs Quay and are not due to play again until 29th at :Llandudno) together with some "fringe" first teamers for the Ashton game. Can you imagine the furore at Prentom Park if Liverpool, for example, had treated us with the same disdain we have shown to Ashton. I thought, as stated prior to the Cammel Lairds game, we were supposedly helping finance lower league clubs by playing such fixtures just as Liverpool helped us financially by playing at Prenton Park. I expect better of Tranmere Rovers.

drwhoman

I think it is a bit unfair to start being critical of the club when we do not know all the facts. I am quite sure that Palios and Mellon are as aware of the club's public image as we all are. There may well be reasons that are being kept private. It does seem a little strange but there we are. Unfortunate that we now have ten days before we play Fleetwood. Still, MM will have plenty of time to bed the new boys in. Let us hope we hear something on the new central defender soon.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I believe there is no central defender on the horizon. Of course MM has not ruled out the search for one but we go with what we've got.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The explanation given by the club about injuries to younger players does not entirely ring true. Don't suppose we'll ever know the truth of the matter, but Rovers not shown in a favourable light by this.

Ian appears to be right on the central defender issue. I hope that doesn't come back to haunt us.

drwhoman

If we are unfortunate enough to suffer an injury to Sutton or McNulty it may well come back to haunt us. A sudden rush for a loan player will have to be made. However, if we have Lincoln's luck with few injuries to key players!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If we are unfortunate enough to suffer an injury to Sutton or McNulty it may well come back to haunt us. A sudden rush for a loan player will have to be made. However, if we have Lincoln's luck with few injuries to key players!
Gumbs could fill in (or Buxton, with Duggan coming in at right-back). But it's not ideal and I'd prefer to see a couple more defenders on the books. However, I think we could manage without.

drwhoman

I suppose that we have to trust Mickey. If the right player was available we would sign them, I assume. It looks as if Davies from Portsmouth has gone off the radar.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Davies is still wanted by his current club, Pompey, so understandably that has dampened any interest. Various names suggested as being under consideration, Jay McEveley at Ross County being the latest. Hard to tell what weight to attach to these rumours.

However, if come the start of the season, we are in the same position as now regarding defenders, my original point about giving Gumbs in particular some match time alongside the senior pros still applies. That's another reason why the cancellation of the Ashton game is frustrating as it could have been another opportunity to do that.

Player
Manager
John King
There is nothing new that would be learned by Evan Gumbs playing against Evostick League opposition. He has already performed well against teams in this division and higher.

Regarding the defensive situation more generally, there is no point bringing in rubbish for the sake of it. If suitable players are not available to us we have to get on with what we have, which is still good enough against most opposition at this level.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Indeed. It seems we are almost desperate to bring in a centre back at all costs whereas in fact the players we have are more than capable.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There was no suggestion it was desperation that saw us bring in a pair of strikers, in an area of the squad where we were already relatively strong.

I'm sceptical about any inference that all the defenders available are rubbish. It's usually easier to find a decent defender than a striker.

While we may sail serenely through the season Lincoln-style, with minimal injuries and suspensions, the reality is that is unlikely. Having lost Ihiekwe, Vaughan and the versatility of Maynard at the back, while only bringing Buxton in this far, leaves us vulnerable to any absences. I'll stick my neck out by saying not bringing another defender in could and most likely will cost us a promotion spot.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm sceptical about any inference that all the defenders available are rubbish. It's usually easier to find a decent defender than a striker.
There are not many defenders who are mobile at this level. Can you actually name anyone in the NL who is quick enough and good enough to fill the role we need ? I can't. We have tried to prise defenders from a higher level and that is difficult.

We could easily go and sign someone who has the same deficiencies in terms of pace as Mc Nulty and Buxton, but what would be the point of that ? We have reasonable cover for injuries as McNulty, Sutton, Buxton, Gumbs and even Ridehalgh are all capable of playing at centre back.

Sutton is not actually as slow as some people think, although I think McNulty and Buxton would struggle against the attack of Dagenham and Aldershot. Against everybody else they would fine. That is just the position we find ourselves in. If you have the solution, let us know.

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Mark Ellis of Carlisle would be a good shout! He was on loan at Forest Green for the second half of the season and played really well, including in the Play Off Final against us. He was offered to Forest Green and looked like he would make the move permanent but for whatever reason it never happened. Clearly surplus to requirements at Carlisle, Knows this league and is experienced...just a thought!

I'm relatively relaxed about the whole centre back transfer saga I must admit, although without seeing Gumbs play too often, I would like to see a decent experienced defender brought in just incase we suffer the same fate with injuries next season. Mickey knows where he is with regards to the players he needs, and he's not one for bringing in players unnecessarily. We've got to trust him to do what he's paid for I suppose!