• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

John Barnes: I cannot get another management job because I am black

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There probably is an issue with black players being overlooked for managerial jobs - but that has nothing to do with Barnes's abject failure at Prenton Park.

Barnes should count himself lucky he got eleven games at Rovers, as he was never fit to lead our magnificent club and his period in charge was a humiliation and embarrassment for all Rovers fans.

Player
Goodison
Is it April 1st? There are issues with race and management jobs, but not in case of Mr Barnes. He's had 3 chances as a manager - 2 times he was awful and the other he walked out of.

It's these kind of stupid claims which distract from the real problems, by doing this Barnes is probably pushing greater quality for ethnic minority managers back by 5 years.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Its easy for the likes of Barnes and Ince to roll out these statements but their managerial records are the reason - not their skin colour.

Ince has a reputation and although did a decent job at Macclesfield, he did poorly at Blackburn and Notts County if I remember rightly. He doesnt help himself either by making out his son is a world beater.

As for Barnes, he was a joke with us but even managed to get sacked by Celtic which is a feat in iself given the scottish league is so poor. I think a home defeat to Inverness sealed his fate at the time. He did ok at Jamaica I think but so would I when they are playing the likes of Barbados in qualifiying.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not sure if he was more disastrous at Celtic or at Rovers. Either way, it wasn't pretty.

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
There are plenty of skillful players who were crap at managing - add chris waddle, tony adams, its not a race thing, its just that as a manager the aim is to win games!