• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Jeremy Corbyn

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Has anyone else seen that Corbyn came on stage and gave a speech at the Wirral Live concert tonight ? As a lifelong Labour supporter it does not bother me, but it seems a bit naive of the club to allow this. If a Tory had come on stage I would be fuming !

I appreciate that he was invited on by one of the bands but I am not sure it is a good idea for the club to get involved in politics, even indirectly.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I've just seen it on the Andrew Marr Show. The discussion was about Corbyn and not the issues about using a music festival for political purposes, but Tranmere Rovers was mentioned. If you go to hear music, that's what you should get.
If you go to hear Corbyn, that's fine. What if Theresa May had spoken at half-time during the Aldershot game? Whatever your political persuasion, I don't think this should have been allowed to happen. Did the club know?

Player
Manager
John King
Nicola palios tweeted that he got a great reception so they certainly approved it. I suppose they took the view that all publicity is good publicity. At the end of the day, Birkenhead is a labour town so they must have guessed that the reaction would generally be positive.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Apparently a rock star welcome! Completely understand the publicity side of it but I wouldnt have been happy if I'd gone for the music and saw any politician on stage. A time and a place and all that!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Can't say it would have bothered me personally and think he did make some remark about not enough money coming down from the Premier league to the lower levels? However can see some who have strong opposing beliefs would take exception and others sharing BBTC and Ian's view that politics should be kept apart from music events having reservations.

While the crowds will have been drawn from across Merseyside and beyond, on political geography, is the ground not in Wirral West, a marginal seat? Prenton ward certainly was.

Player
Manager
John King
No, the ground is in the Birkenhead constituency. Corbyn also visited west Kirby in Wirral west, which as you say is marginal.

A J W

Player
Ian Goodison
I think it was wrong possibly because if I had gone to concert I would not want it interrupted by any politics by any party mainly perhaps of time limits.

With Prenton Park being so near local housing it would be restricted to how late the concert could go on for and would have a cut off point.

Do not how long Corbyn speech went on for and whether it would have made much difference to the night however personally I would not like it,if I want politics I'd go to a political rally.(God how boring):eek: