• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Jay Harris;new contract

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Announced on the o/s that Jay Harris has signed a 2 year deal.

I'm ambivalent about this. He's had some good games and the contract will keep him with us until he turns 31, but would say Jennings has been the better of the central midfield pair in recent months.

If we're securing players on extended contracts then Davies, Ihiekwe, Mekki should be priorities. Would also like to see Hughes offered a deal.

drwhoman

I tend to agree. I am not sure he got anything to offer beyond the National League assuming of course that Gary intends to get us out of this league! Braintree losing with ten to go - fingers crossed!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Taken on its merits, it is a good deal as Harris is a decent player. However as Boz implies, we now have Harris and Jennings who are similar, defensive-minded players and Maynard who is not good enough (in my view). We will need more creativity in midfield than that and signing Hughes permanently should be a high priority.

The fact we are offering deals to players already suggests Brabin will be here next season.

drwhoman

Fair comment RLC. Do you feel that signing Harris might suggest that Steve Jennings is going to call it a day. He is 34 now?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I'm sure Jenno will be an important player next season, especially given his recent form. It would be interesting whether he retains the armband or whether Big Mac takes over.

I'm pleased about Harris but not overly excited. Like many fans, I don't think there is too much wrong with the defence and midfield, we just don't score enough goals

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Like many fans, I don't think there is too much wrong with the defence and midfield, we just don't score enough goals
Spot on. We know these are good players at this level under GB as will be the setup next season. As well as the attacking options, I do think we need to look more closely at our wide men. Kirby isn't good enough and Mekki tires.

I think it would make a huge difference if we got some real quality on the wings.

Stickman

Player
Aldo
Harris is average, no better than that. I don't agree that there's not much wrong with our midfield. They don't score enough or create enough and seem to be too slow most of the time. I would have waited until the end of season before signing players but as has already been said, maybe this means Brabin is staying. I'm not his biggest fan but we can't keep sacking managers all the time.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Spot on. We know these are good players at this level under GB as will be the setup next season. As well as the attacking options, I do think we need to look more closely at our wide men. Kirby isn't good enough and Mekki tires.

I think it would make a huge difference if we got some real quality on the wings.

Would disagree that Kirby isn't good enough, he's been one of our better players in recent weeks. Whether he's best deployed on the wing is arguable. Mekki's fitness counts against him, but along with Hughes and GTF is one of our few creative players, Jennings and Harris are not. There were some good balls into the box first half mainly from the full-backs, but Norwood didn't capitalise and the central midfield didn't push up.

What we are lacking along with the reliable scorer is any pace in the side and that should be a priority in recruiting

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Re pace. Not sure if he's been playing for Nuneaton but Adam Dawson had both pace and quality delivery when on form with us.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with boz about Kirby, who actually offers some pace and energy. I also agree with carthorse that the midfield trio of jenno, Harris and Maynard lacks creativity, which is why recruiting Hughes and possibly one other is important. If possible I would actually ship Maynard out.

Last edited:

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Was Dawson's release clause from Kiddy that he couldn't sign for another NL side?
Would happily accept him back into the fold next season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wouldn't say that Dawson was particularly quick, but he did offer something different in terms of creativity and delivery. Think that he'd played for a number of sides this season, so could only join a side below National League. Never felt that Brabin was that keen on him, so while I wouldn't mind him back at PP, not expecting a return.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The big difference with Dawson was that he wasn't afraid to take people on. Not saying he was wonderful, but he did try hard and he was confident out wide.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I heard that Dawson is going to Eastleigh next season though whether its true or not time will tell