• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Janoi Donacien

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
After Saturday's disaster, Clayton McDonald has left and we have signed a young defender on loan from Villa until 1st January. He's no league experience, but seems to be highly regarded. He is 20 and was born in St Lucia, but moved to the UK in 2001.

A couple of years ago, there was an issue about his visa. I don't know if it's been resolved, but I hope we don't get another Calvin Zola problem.

I'm positive about this signing. I think it's good to play a talented but raw defender as long as he's alongside and old hand like Holness or Woodards. The loan system can work well and give us access to quality and flexibility as long as we don't have too many. If he's good, I hope we can keep him all season.

Reports say he could play tomorrow night, so I look forward to seeing him.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is clear that Edward's opinion of MacDonald was so low that he did not trust him to play another game. Just a pity that his performance effectively cost us three points on Saturday.

I am glad that we have acted quickly to replace him but I still see Ihiekwe and Woodards as our best centre back pairing once everybody is fit

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While McDonald was (in more ways than one) the biggest cause of our downfall in Shropshire, having seen the highlights again, others also had some responsibility; Ihiekwe failing to jump for the cross that led to the equaliser or OFW in no mans land for their winner. Hence his departure won't cure all ills.

In respect of BBTCs point, you could argue that Ikiekwe falls into the raw but talented category and he's ours. I've no problem with Donacien so long as he's selected on merit and isn't joining on a Cassidy-style must play deal. Will be interested hearing your report on his Rovers debut.

drwhoman

Has anyone actually been with Rovers (not a loanee) for any less time than McDonald?One game and getting the 'thanks for coming' is not a record anyone would want! I would not include guys who have just received a better offer elsewhere. We cannot accuse RE of not being decisive. Fingers crossed for the loanee. I hope there is no 'must play' clause.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While not as short a stay, Mark Allott, who Ronnie recruited and was then sacked, Barnes didn't fancy and he ended up at Chesterfield, all within a pre-season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Although early days and much will depend if edwards persists with 4-5-1, replacing mcdonald was obviusly required but we need a striker, no doubt about it.

We have effectively replaced a guaranteed 20 goal a season man In Lowe with young Cole, which is a lot to ask for the young man.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Given our limited budget, before trying to get another striker in, I'd like to see better use of the ones we've already got. Stockton doesn't function as a lone striker and on what I saw of him Saturday, neither does Odejayi. We need to have Richards playing off one or other of them.

Player
Manager
John King
While McDonald was (in more ways than one) the biggest cause of our downfall in Shropshire, having seen the highlights again, others also had some responsibility; Ihiekwe failing to jump for the cross that led to the equaliser or OFW in no mans land for their winner. Hence his departure won't cure all ills.

In fairness to Ihiekwe, that was the first cross he missed all afternoon and when Woodards was on the pitch alongside him he was not repeatedly asked to shovel balls out of his own eighteen yard box. When Woodards, Ihiekwe or Holness have played the back four has been the best functioning part of the team this season, so I don't really think there are many 'ills'to be cured.

I would not blame Fonners for the second goal either, as two men were left unmarked on the back post and there was very little pressure on the cross.

I am hopeful that under the Palios regime we are not entering in to 'must play' loan deals. Certainly, it would be a strange agreement when you consider the defensive players we have to come back from injury.

Regarding the stirkers, I believe Richards and Stockton will score goals in League Two if they are played as a pair. We can't afford a twenty goal a season striker, so there is little point bringing in someone mediocre who will block the progress of the young forwards we have.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In fairness to Ihiekwe, that was the first cross he missed all afternoon and when Woodards was on the pitch alongside him he was not repeatedly asked to shovel balls out of his own eighteen yard box. When Woodards, Ihiekwe or Holness have played the back four has been the best functioning part of the team this season, so I don't really think there are many 'ills'to be cured.

I would not blame Fonners for the second goal either, as two men were left unmarked on the back post and there was very little pressure on the cross.

I am hopeful that under the Palios regime we are not entering in to 'must play' loan deals. Certainly, it would be a strange agreement when you consider the defensive players we have to come back from injury.

Regarding the stirkers, I believe Richards and Stockton will score goals in League Two if they are played as a pair. We can't afford a twenty goal a season striker, so there is little point bringing in someone mediocre who will block the progress of the young forwards we have.

I agree that Ihiekwe has been generally solid, a much better recruit than I'd hoped for. I'd accept that others could have done more for the second goal, but still feel that OFW could have been more commanding. My point was that it wasn't exclusively down to McDonald that we lost.

RE said yesterday he hadn't decided about McDonald/Hill, then McDonald goes. I hope that Hill is offered a longer deal, as he was one of the better players on the park in the Shrewsbury game.

Player
Manager
John King
I hope that Hill is offered a longer deal, as he was one of the better players on the park in the Shrewsbury game.

From what Edwards has said previously, it may be Hill's decision to leave rather than ours to let him go. Edwards has suggested that he may not be prepared to compete with / play second fiddle to Ridehalgh in the left back role.

I hope we do keep him though, as he is a quality player at this level.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I hadn't heard that. Liam is out for a few more weeks, so have to hope he'll stick around until then.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hill is one of those players that will give you solid displays every game. Would be a shame to see him go but I can't see him staying.

Good to see the back of McDonald and hopefully Janoi well be a better replacement. Can only see him playing for cover though.

Nice to see Rob making quick, early decisions regarding the players. Squad is coming together now..