• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Ian MUIR

CompostCorner

On radio city today saying he would love a crack at the managers job.I personally would go for NED KELLY.,you heard it here first !!!:-$

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Great players don't always make great managers! I think for the rest of this season we need someone with league football management experience. So while Ian Muir and a few other names that have been mooted make for interesting conversation, that's all.

DixieDean

Great players don't always make great managers!

I'm trying to think of ANY great managers currently in the game who were once great players? Are there any?

Then again I guess it depends what is meant by "great player". If we're talking about top level players such as Barnes, Platt, (Bryan) Robson, Gasgoigne, Adams etc then indeed they do seem to struggle as managers. Muir was nowhere near them in ability and so perhaps does not even qualify for the "great players don't make great managers" quote ;-)
Or do we mean "great Tranmere players don't make great managers" Hmm...Johnny King, Ray Matthias, Ronnie Moore....
We could have something with Muir in that case then!

Although personally I think right now we need experience.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I'm trying to think of ANY great managers currently in the game who were once great players? Are there any?

Rijkaard and Toshack...it's a good question...surely there must be more.

superwhite

Player
Ash taylor
Pep" Guardiola Won the european cup with barca then went on to win it as manager, Also Kenny dalglish with liverpool and blackburn

Rijkaard and Toshack...it's a good question...surely there must be more.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Muir was nowhere near them in ability and so perhaps does not even qualify for the "great players don't make great managers" quote ;-)

Lies!! Muir was a GREAT player, touch simply sublime and obviously he could finish chances, you know from time to time! He's a long time hero to me so obviously I'm biased.

Although personally I think right now we need experience.

Agreed 100%.

superwhite

Player
Ash taylor
Lies!! Muir was a GREAT player, touch simply sublime and obviously he could finish chances, you know from time to time! He's a long time hero to me so obviously I'm biased.

He was a great player at are level, Obviously He wouldn't have been great at a higher League.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Pep" Guardiola Won the european cup with barca then went on to win it as manager, Also Kenny dalglish with liverpool and blackburn

Guardiola is a good shout, and I believe both Capello and Trappatoni were very good players in their day...Zico and Dunga are not yet great but have the talent to be top managers IMO. But the question concerned current managers and Dalglish doesn't fit into that bracket...otherwise there's quite a few, Cruyff, Busby, Beckenbauer etc...

superwhite

Player
Ash taylor
Fabio capello was a good player won titles with both milan and juve, but its not down to if you were a great player or if you were crap its down to ability, and you never know until you try, who knows if Muir or Kelley would be good managers for us until there given a chance but in are current situation I dont think were are in the position to Take any chances we need a proven manager!!

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I think for someone looking to make their first steps into management, it's perhaps easier to instill an initial sense of respect if you've been an ex-pro at a high level. But being a household name only gets you that far. It is perhaps unfair to draw on the stereotype that most footballers aren't very intelligent, but it seems appropriate to note that most top managers are.

Barnes posessed fantastic ability and as a player he had a natural flair and understanding of the game that far exceeds that of any of our current players - but being able to communicate that knowledge is something different altogether. Could the finest mathematician in the world teach GCSE maths to a bunch of 15 year olds better than your average school teacher? Arguably not.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
We could do with experience for definite in this position. First timers like Kelly, Muiry, Robbie Fowler (again linked in this morning's People, lol) might well make good managers (doubt Fowler would if I'm honest) but we really just need an old head to steady the ship and get us back moving in the right direction.

It's not an ideal situation for a rookie to step in in my opinion. Although I'd love for Muiry to join the set-up and do some coaching etc. The kids could learn a lot from the maestro striker. We always used to have former players on the coaching staff, so why not: Muiry, Mogsy, Ged Brannan perhaps?