• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

halifax v rovers

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Nice to see us score three goals against a NL side for the first time since August - and away from home.

Are we making progress? I look forward to the reports.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Delighted. Three goals and Connor getting off the mark. Sounded like a really good performance and possibly could have had more?

Looks like having some width in the team really makes a difference to our results. We’re on a decent run now. Into the 1st round we go and that win should do wonders for our league form.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A game which we controlled pretty much from start to finish and should have won by a bigger margin. A lot of the football through midfield was excellent, we created numerous chances and, aside from some shaky defending midway though the first half, it was a very comfortable afternoon.

The first twenty minutes set the tone of the whole game with Rovers controlling the ball and looking threatening. The first goal resulted from a flowing move and we got in behind the Halifax defence a number of times in this period and should really have added to our tally. However, a couple of defensive mishaps allowed the host back into the match, firstly in the build up to the penalty, well saved by Davies, and secondly for the equalising goal which came against the run of play. On both occasions the back four were caught very square and seemed to be holding a line too high up the pitch. Fortunately, we came through this spell and Norwood deservedly restored our lead before the break with a superb strike from outside the box.

In the second half we were never threatened. Liam Ridehalgh's superb free kick five minutes into the half effectively killed the game and from that moment on we sat deeper and held Halifax at bay, while still having a threat on the break. Further chances were created with Norwood in particular missing two or three of his customary one-on-ones.

Overall, the ease of this victory against a team currently higher in the league table has to give us confidence for the weeks ahead, and suggests that we are well capable of climbing the league. Since the switch to 442 the team looks much better balanced and confidence and creativity has returned to the side.

Individually, I thought Norwood worked incredibly hard and played well, but surely has to get some advice on what to do better when he is one-on-one with the keeper. Cook led the line well and won virtually every header. Connor Jennings had his best game for some time and took his goal very well. Defensively, I thought all of the back four looked a bit ropy in the first half but settled down after half time. My man of the match, however, was Ollie Norburn who was superb on the ball and ran the midfield all game. I love the fact he always looks to make a forward pass and I lost count of the number of times he played a cutting through ball to Norwood or Jennings.

With confidence building we go into difficult away games at Aldershot and Hartlepool in good spirits.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good result and hopefully can take things forward in the league now. I’m interested in why, with the same xi, we managed to perform so much better than against Chester.

Also any clues as to Alabi’s absence?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I did not think we performed badly against Chester. We created a host of chances last week and the difference today was that we actually took some of them. There has been an improvement in performances for three or four games now, since we switched to 442.

With rumours that we are bringing in another forward from Stourbridge, it seems like Alabi could be on his way out.

Player
aldo
Have heard that alabi . Wearing . An mangan . Are going . To make way . Archer is 6.ft 3 an scored 9 already this season . Rumours goin that cookie put a transfer request in . Not to sure an hope not . But not scoring at the mo . At last we are now making chances an loads of em . Long may it continue . An lets score loads of goals . Great to see connor score hope he goes on a run now . Norrs is goin great now an welldone rides. . Lets go to aldershot in great numbers . An see the super whites win again . Im up 4 this lets go boys

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought we did reasonably v Chester too, but was interested in what had improved, given the positive report. Hadn’t caught any commentary of this game, so nothing else to go in. If our conversion rate has improved, can only be good.

While I was not keen on bringing Alabi in, having done so and paid for the privilege, it makes little sense to move him on at a loss without giving him an opportunity. Archer, should he come, sounds more in the Cook/Waring/McDonough mould.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's frustrating that the footage of our goals isn't the best on Tranmere twitter, as the camera seems some distance away. Can see that Liam's free-kick was very well placed though.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If our conversion rate has improved, can only be good.
This is the key to moving forward with the season now. Since swapping to 442 we have put some decent performances in and certainly look more like the team from last season. Chester aside, the finishing has also improved. Let's hope we can carry this forward and we start picking up the points we need. A good cup run does wonders for confidence too!